Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State Applies to the NCHC

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    What I still love is how it was OK for Michigan Tech to do what they felt was best for them in the early 80's and leave the WCHA for the CCHA and then come back to the WCHA a couple years later, but 30 years later when UND and DU do what they think is best for them, it's completely different and those schools are backstabbing traitors.
    You keep trotting this out Dirty, but I don't believe even you are so dense as to not recognize the implications of MTU's move to the CCHA were vastly different than that of the formation of the NCHC.

Before you play dumb, I'll spell it out. Tech moving to the CCHA had very little (if any) impact on the overall solvency and stability of the WCHA and its member schools.

If you want to argue that it's not UND's, or Denver's, or anyone else's responsibility to consider how their actions impact the overall landscape, you can certainly do so. But you can't say Tech moving between the CCHA and WCHA is in any way similar to what happened with the NCHC.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
      This has already happened at WMU when Murray left, will happen at UNO when Dean Blais leaves, will happen at SCSU, MSU-M, etc soon too. All programs go thru cycles. When NCHC formed they plucked teams at the top of their cycles and the last few years have been great for them, but it will come back around and all the chest pounded will be replaced with continued dwindling attendance and increased travel cost for 75% of the league.
      I bet Andy Murray is going to be surprised to learn he left WMU.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Your stupid effing conference was called the BHHC before it had a name.

You.Are.Stupid.
        Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Hmm, I think Donald won this round. Crushing blow delivered there with that post.
        hard to parry that rapier like wit.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I bet Andy Murray is going to be surprised to learn he left WMU.
          Crap, I botched that... You are correct that he is still there, I meant that the drop off has already happened at WMU and will happen elsewhere at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            ...it's been a lot of fun hockey since then playing against top competition for points and not the likes of UAH, UAA or UA_.
            Ummm, yeah well "top competition" must have a slightly different definition in the NCHC. Because your NCHC conference games got you "top competition" like...
            - Four vs UMD (one game over 0.500)
            - Four vs Miami (well under 0.500)
            - Four vs WMU (25 loss season)
            - Four vs CC (one loss shy of 30)
            - Plus to bolster your strength of schedule you booked some more "tough" non-conference games against ASU (twice), Alberta, the two Alaska programs and US under 18...

Well clearly my mistake now that I have reviewed your schedule. Let me be the first to get the slow clap started for you guys taking on all that "top competition"... Way to go.

In an ideal world this post would end with an image of Gene Wilder in a purple coat and top hat asking for you to tell us more about the NCHC's "top competition" but I think we've seen enough here already to get the point of just how "tough" it is. To be fair, I'll give credit to SCSU that you took an average WCHA team to the woodshed when it counted in the NCAA tourney and SCSU beat Ferris.

"Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." ~W.W.
            Oh whoops, I misread that last result. You actually lost to Ferris.

Ryan J
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-18-2016, 10:09 AM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Yeah, that barely 0.500 UMD team you're trying to disparage actually made it into the NCAA tournament on their strength of schedule playing in the NCHC. Not only did they make it into the tournament, they won a game and lost to BC 3-2. All of this was in the Northeast Regional. But yeah, you're right, that doesn't speak to the NCHC's strength at all.

And yes, SCSU played a bad game - Lindgren fighting the puck all game and the D looking like they were auditioning for the ice follies - in addition to Ferris playing a good game. Then DU smacked around Ferris, like SCSU should've done in round one had they not pranced away the first period.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, that barely 0.500 UMD team you're trying to disparage actually made it into the NCAA tournament on their strength of schedule playing in the NCHC... that doesn't speak to the NCHC's strength at all.
                What it does show is just how flawed the current NCAA tourney selection formula happens to be. SCSU 2015 would be another good one to consider.

And I'll just go ahead and prequote what you'll post in reply:
                "Yeah, but but but.... both of those teams won tourney games..." (and one of them beat Michigan Tech *gasp*)."

True. Well, the US beat the Soviets once back in 1980. Holy Cross and Niagara have won an NCAA tourney game too. That doesn't mean they were one of the 16 best teams that season and deserved to be in the tourney. They got in via auto-bids and then got some puck luck when it counted. UMD and SCSU got in via a computer chewing up numbers in a flawed math equation and spitting out a tourney field of 16 teams. I'm sorry, but if you can barely win half of your games, regardless of who you played, you have no business playing for a national title.

If the NCHC was heads and tails better than any other conference, NCHC teams would go undefeated in non-conference and win every tourney game they played. As much as NCHC fans would like to think they play some sort of "just below the NHL" level of hockey, there isn't that kind of competitive gap in college hockey. You only need to look at the national champions from the last few years to confirm that theory.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

True. The NCHC is just heads and tails better than the WCHA.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

And yes, SCSU played a bad game - Lindgren fighting the puck all game and the D looking like they were auditioning for the ice follies - in addition to Ferris playing a good game. Then DU smacked around Ferris, like SCSU should've done in round one had they not pranced away the first period.
                    You mean the game that it took DU till the end of the 3rd to open it up?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      What it does show is just how flawed the current NCAA tourney selection formula happens to be. SCSU 2015 would be another good one to consider.

And I'll just go ahead and prequote what you'll post in reply:
                      "Yeah, but but but.... both of those teams won tourney games..." (and one of them beat Michigan Tech *gasp*)."

True. Well, the US beat the Soviets once back in 1980. Holy Cross and Niagara have won an NCAA tourney game too. That doesn't mean they were one of the 16 best teams that season and deserved to be in the tourney. They got in via auto-bids and then got some puck luck when it counted. UMD and SCSU got in via a computer chewing up numbers in a flawed math equation and spitting out a tourney field of 16 teams. I'm sorry, but if you can barely win half of your games, regardless of who you played, you have no business playing for a national title.

If the NCHC was heads and tails better than any other conference, NCHC teams would go undefeated in non-conference and win every tourney game they played. As much as NCHC fans would like to think they play some sort of "just below the NHL" level of hockey, there isn't that kind of competitive gap in college hockey. You only need to look at the national champions from the last few years to confirm that theory.

Ryan J
                      17-50-9. That's the record of WCHA teams against NCHC teams in the past three regular seasons.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        You mean the game that it took DU till the end of the 3rd to open it up?
                        It's a 60-minute game. Play them all. Don't play them, you get smacked around, and maybe you'll lose 6-3, like FSU lost to DU.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          17-50-9. That's the record of WCHA teams against NCHC teams in the past three regular seasons.
                          Yeah, but the WCHA really took it to the NCHC teams in those 50 games before it opened up...

Comment

• Originally posted by mplssioux View Post
                            yeah, but the wcha really took it to the nchc teams in those 50 games before it opened up...
                            lmao.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Kinda curious, what's the Home/Away breakdown of that stat?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Kinda curious, what's the Home/Away breakdown of that stat?
                                After 76 games the WCHA has 17 wins against the Nacho. Does the H/A breakdown really matter that much at that point? If the split were more like 40-60, that'd be one thing. This is something else entirely.

Comment

Working...
                                X