Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State Applies to the NCHC

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I think any program not named UAA/UAF is full of crap citing travel costs when it comes to playing those programs.

Imagine you're BSU and you'd no longer have to fly to AK and one year they instead fly to CO for a NC series. How much money as a % of the annual hockey budget is saved with the latter trip? There's still per diem, hotel, food, and a flight. Add another swap perhaps an AK flight with one to MI. Again as a total % of the annual budget? Maybe I'm completely underestimating the differential cost but...
    removing those schools also increases the number of time tech goes to Bemidji and Mankato. Reduces costs for the conference tournament, and comparing a one-off trip to Colorado to a team having to go to both Anchorage and Fairbanks every other year is ridiculous.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

You replace 1 or 2 trips to AK with 1 or 2 others both of which may still require a flight. It's not automatically ridiculous without running the figures.

Comment

You replace 1 or 2 trips to AK with 1 or 2 others both of which may still require a flight. It's not automatically ridiculous without running the figures.
        They wouldn't, it would be replaced with playing the rest of the conference more often...not more games with Colorado schools or eastern teams.
        There is no way the WCHA voluntarily reduces their conference schedule which would just result in more road games.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Depending upon the size of the new conference it's not guaranteed they'd be replaced with conference games. But again the overall cost savings as % of the total budget is the figure I'd be interested in contemplating. But I'm just a dumb-dumb so...

Comment

JFC, I am so tired of this sh*t.

Comment

Depending upon the size of the new conference it's not guaranteed they'd be replaced with conference games. But again the overall cost savings as % of the total budget is the figure I'd be interested in contemplating. But I'm just a dumb-dumb so...
              IF UAA and UAF fold tomorrow, MTU plays LSSU, BSU, MSUM (if they don't leave), BGSU, FSU, and UAH more often. UAH already subsidizes travel so that doesn't really matter. There is no way the current WCHA gives up conference games for NC games unless they know they will still gets 16+ home games a year. Regardless of PWR implications, it would be foolish for the WCHA to not stay at 28 games if they want to continue to get the number of home games they get now.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                JFC, I am so tired of this sh*t.
                I blame Biddco
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

My fellow MTU fans, who the fark cares about MN State? Christ. Remember when they were a footnote on the schedule? Let them go back to their abusive husbands in the NCHC and be happy to finish 3rd at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYkACVDFmeg

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    My fellow MTU fans, who the fark cares about MN State? Christ. Remember when they were a footnote on the schedule? Let them go back to their abusive husbands in the NCHC and be happy to finish 3rd at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYkACVDFmeg
                    That link would be better if it ended FMEg rather than Fmeg.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Alaska is not the only long-distance road trip in the WCHA. There's also UAH. And for MSU-M and Bemidji, there are potentially 5 trips to the Eastern time zone. The conference as currently constructed just isn't sustainable. We travel more miles in a month than HE or ECAC teams do in 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        That link would be better if it ended FMEg rather than Fmeg.
                        Ha, I didn't even notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Uhm, the alaska schools are probably some of the biggest issues for the membership with the travel costs. Without them, the league is likely healthier.
                          Cos conference schools that travel to Alaska don't get subsidized travel and exemptions that will allow them to play additional home games that they otherwise wouldn't be able to play.

It's actually a net positive in terms of dollars (when properly managed) for each and every WCHA opponent to travel to Alaska as compared to any other road trip they take.

And you've been following this league for how effing long?

I think any program not named UAA/UAF is full of crap citing travel costs when it comes to playing those programs.

Imagine you're BSU and you'd no longer have to fly to AK and one year they instead fly to CO for a NC series. How much money as a % of the annual hockey budget is saved with the latter trip? There's still per diem, hotel, food, and a flight. Add another swap perhaps an AK flight with one to MI. Again as a total % of the annual budget?

Say they save $20k on a total budget of $1m - that's 2%. No idea if either figure is remotely realistic but...
                          Actually, the whiners are straight up full of crap just as you imply.
                          Last edited by uaafanblog; 07-19-2016, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            IF UAA and UAF fold tomorrow...
                            I don't think both teams will fold but let's say they do does every team currently fly to AK twice per year? I doubt that so it's not remove 2 flights to AK every year from the current budget. Does every team have a road series against UAH every year? Now they would. Does NMU currently fly to BSU every year? Does BSU fly every year to MTU? Deny it as you must there are going to be some flights some years that weren't there before. As Donald noted do the AK schools not shoulder some of the cost? And don't schools that play in AK gain 2 extra games on their schedule (and the resulting revenues from them) they would lose once trips to AK cease? But go ahead and just keep insisting there's a major cost savings as a % of the entire budget without actually fleshing out the figures.
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-20-2016, 01:18 AM.

Comment

humorous thread for off season reading, poor MTU fans sound like jilted lovers

Forming the Nacho was a stroke of genius, although it wasn’t intended as such. If the old guard from the Old WCHA had done nothing the WCHA would have been viewed as a weaker conference for having lost MN & WI (and for those of us who remember, even weaker since the days when the Michigan schools left) and possibly not gotten as good of quality recruits that they have received. The Nacho was a reaction to the Big Ten, an act of self-preservation that has worked.

Nobody knew then the Big Ten would flop, but since it has, the Nacho has taken the place as the top conference. It should go without saying that everyone wishes we could go back to the old days, but that isn’t going to happen.

I cannot imagine any schools other than the Colorado schools wanting ASU to join the Nacho, it will only weaken the conference. Make them join the WCHA and become a real hockey school first. Denver & CC can always add them as NC games if they like, I can’t imagine any other Nacho wanting to play them.

The irony is that the good brand name of the WCHA is being preserved by the women, and only two of the schools have a men’s program in the WCHA. Perhaps soon to be only one.

Comment

This thread has taught me a few things.
                                1. as Fade says, who the heck cares.! Jessh.! It might not happen anyway! 2. money talks. 3. UND fans are like trump supporters, long on emotion and nostalgia, but short on facts.( with the exception of dirty who is well above the average und toad and who clearly is a closet Minnesota fan) 4.. Hoped for savings and results are usually not what you end up getting. ... oh and trading away 5 trips to the eastern time zone for 2 trips east and 3 to the West is really not that big a benefit if you ask me.
                                Last edited by manurespreader; 07-20-2016, 07:10 PM.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X