Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State Applies to the NCHC

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Kinda curious, what's the Home/Away breakdown of that stat?
    The NCHC has played 33 games at home against WCHA teams. They are 23-6-4
    The NCHC has played 28 games on the road against WCHA teams. They are 15-8-5
    The NCHC has played 15 neutral site games against WCHA teams, including NCAA tournament games. They are 12-3
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Those stats really do tell the tale, don't they? If you eliminate all the wins NCHC teams got by cheating and playing at home or at neutral sites they aren't so great, are they? Heck they aren't even .500!
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

The nice thing for the WCHA is that Minnesota State is 2-9 vs. the NCHC, so the WCHA's record against the NCHC will actually improve if the Mavericks jump ship.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So once you take out Wisconsin & Minnesota, then add Mankato, this is the WCHC minus Tech, Bemidji and UAA plus Miami and Western. Is there really a net gain of some sort? Was it really worth all the disruption it caused college hockey? Was it really worth blowing up two pretty good postseason tourneys? Granted, the CCHA even would have been hurt badly by losing Michigan and Michigan State, but the WCHA would have continued to have a very strong event, better than what's out there now.
          Last edited by davyd83; 07-20-2016, 02:14 PM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that no matter how you sliced it in the post-BTHC world, 8-10 schools were going to be sort of okay in one conference with the rest struggling in another conference. The only thing that's changed is the makeup of the two groups.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              So once you take out Wisconsin & Minnesota, then add Mankato, the is the WCHC minus Tech, Bemidji and UAA plus Miami and Western. Is there really a net gain of some sort?
              Yeah. That's kind of funny.

Is MTU that much worse a school than Miami? The last several years don't show that much of a difference. What about Bemidji/UAA vs. Western? Again is that worth a complete overhaul? There are reported travel issues with Miami and Western. A large number of NCHC schools schedule Bemidji anyways. That Western vs. UAA trade was really critical I guess.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Is MTU that much worse a school than Miami? The last several years don't show that much of a difference. What about Bemidji/UAA vs. Western? Again is that worth a complete overhaul? There are reported travel issues with Miami and Western. A large number of NCHC schools schedule Bemidji anyways. That Western vs. UAA trade was really critical I guess.
                It's too bad that the NCHC schools would never agree to take ASU, Mankato, Bemidji, and UAA while sending Western and Miami to the WCHA. We'll even trade them the WCHA name and let BGSU dust off the CCHA IP.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

So once you take out Wisconsin & Minnesota, then add Mankato, the is the WCHC minus Tech, Bemidji and UAA plus Miami and Western. Is there really a net gain of some sort? Was it really worth all the disruption it caused college hockey? Was it really worth blowing up two pretty good postseason tourneys? Granted, the CCHA even would have been hurt badly by losing Michigan and Michigan State, but the WCHA would have continued to have a very strong event, better than what's out there now.
                  Yes
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    Yes
                    UMMM, ok if you say so I guess it must be true. But I'm guessing you all have less revenue in total than before the split.
                    Regardless, can we just agree to let bygones be bygones and get on with it.
                    I don't see Mankato moving right away anyway. The NCHC is going to need ASU to come up with a rink and even after they say they'll have one it will take a couple of years for it to actually happen. So maybe 3 years from now? A lot can happen in 3 years.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So once you take out Wisconsin & Minnesota, then add Mankato, the is the WCHC minus Tech, Bemidji and UAA plus Miami and Western. Is there really a net gain of some sort? Was it really worth all the disruption it caused college hockey? Was it really worth blowing up two pretty good postseason tourneys? Granted, the CCHA even would have been hurt badly by losing Michigan and Michigan State, but the WCHA would have continued to have a very strong event, better than what's out there now.
                      Losing Minnesota and Wisconsin in the Final Five would give you **** near the exact same scenario as you have now. UND and a bunch of other schools that sort-of travel. The NCHC didn't blow up the Final Five, the Big 10 did.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                        Losing Minnesota and Wisconsin in the Final Five would give you **** near the exact same scenario as you have now. UND and a bunch of other schools that sort-of travel. The NCHC didn't blow up the Final Five, the Big 10 did.
                        Go back to my post on what the West would have looked like without the NCHC. Add UAH to the CCHA and everything works, though I may have moved the CCHA finals to Grand Rapids and out of Detroit.

The WCHA version 1.1 would have been fine at the X.

The NCHC was a mountain created in reaction to a molehill. No need for it.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Go back to my post on what the West would have looked like without the NCHC. Add UAH to the CCHA and everything works, though I may have moved the CCHA finals to Grand Rapids and out of Detroit.

The WCHA version 1.1 would have been fine at the X.

The NCHC was a mountain created in reaction to a molehill. No need for it.
                          Except that it gave the NCHC schools to be rid of the annual Alaska road trip. Despite UAA paying for the costs of it, no school liked the trip because it's tough on their players to adjust to a three- or four-hour time zone shift and the extra disruption to routine. Add to that, there were a couple other schools that, rightly or not, appeared to be drags on the teams, and the B1G Mistake provided the excuse to cull the herd a little.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Except that it gave the NCHC schools to be rid of the annual Alaska road trip. Despite UAA paying for the costs of it, no school liked the trip because it's tough on their players to adjust to a three- or four-hour time zone shift and the extra disruption to routine. Add to that, there were a couple other schools that, rightly or not, appeared to be drags on the teams, and the B1G Mistake provided the excuse to cull the herd a little.
                            Yep.

"Like-minded schools" was code word for "Flights to Anchorage and Houghton are terrible. And we don't want to share revenue with those leeches."

Maybe had the WCHA adopted a reward system where the better finishing schools got a bigger share of the Final Five money, the old WCHA wouldn't have been backdoored by UND and DU. But, McLeod fought to make the WCHA equal for all member schools, which contributed to the great exodus.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

The difference isn't about the on-ice product, it's about financial commitment. The departure of UMTC/UW left a power vacuum that would have granted the smaller, less financially solvent schools more voting power than DU/UND (and to a lesser extent, CC) were willing to deal with. When it comes to voting on league policies and contracts, they wanted to be in the majority, but wouldn't have been in the reduced WCHA. Hence, NCHC. It's not rocket surgery, and it has very little to do with on-ice performance.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                                The difference isn't about the on-ice product, it's about financial commitment. The departure of UMTC/UW left a power vacuum that would have granted the smaller, less financially solvent schools more voting power than DU/UND (and to a lesser extent, CC) were willing to deal with. When it comes to voting on league policies and contracts, they wanted to be in the majority, but wouldn't have been in the reduced WCHA. Hence, NCHC. It's not rocket surgery, and it has very little to do with on-ice performance.

r
                                Maybe. But not so sure about much of the sentiment I'm reading here that the NCHC was a correct and calculated move to get to exactly where we are today.

I believe that the NCHC was formed with the vision of a nationwide collection of the 'top' small schools that were not in HE or B1G. Things got a bit messed up (i.e., Notre Dame) and it found itself where it is today. So just where is it? After adding SCSU and seriously considering MSUM, frankly not far from an old WCHA with an awkward exchange of couple of schools for a similar couple of schools.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X