Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Not an original title. I get it. But we might as well get started on a new thread for a new season and what better way to do it then to announce the incoming class:

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...20160629oxrac0

Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017: Restoring the Karma Part II

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Not an original title. I get it. But we might as well get started on a new thread for a new season and what better way to do it then to announce the incoming class:

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...20160629oxrac0
    Be interesting to see if Brianna Laing ends up #1 after 3 years mostly on the bench or if Larcom moves straight into the 1 spot. Also - when was the last time you saw a D1 player from St Georges!!??

Comment

St Georges actually has 2 players going D1 this year as well as a boy's player also going to Harvard. Olivia Soares going to Ohio State and Frederic Gregoire to Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Be interesting to see if Brianna Laing ends up #1 after 3 years mostly on the bench or if Larcom moves straight into the 1 spot. Also - when was the last time you saw a D1 player from St Georges!!??
        Shea Guthrie ('05) - Clarkson (men) '09
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The team's 2016-'17 schedule:

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice/2016-17/schedule

Both the men and women have an early exhibition game which leads me to believe that they are going to start practicing before October 1st. Captains are usually on the ice with their teammates in early September so I don't think this is a big deal. But Katey told me that there is definite pressure to start early to keep up with the non-Ivy schools when the regular season hits.

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum
            Harvard has two other top notch goalies in the pipeline as well. Becky Dutton is coming next year after she does a PG year in 2016-17. And maybe the best of the bunch is coming in 2 years, Lindsay Reed. I have seen her play 3 or 4 times, and I think she will be outstanding at Harvard. Probably 5'11" and moves like she is 5'6". She is a game changer.
            I have seen both Larcom and Dutton play about the same number of times. Give me Reed every time.
            That's surprising to see so many goalies commit to one school. I have to wonder if coaches from rival schools will try and poach. More than goalies, we need forwards in the worst way. We are thin up front this year.

Comment

Harvard and BC will play at Frozen Fenway this year:

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...20160829lv2vqf

Harvard's schedule will be adjusted to accommodate this game. The Crimson will open the season at Dartmouth on Oct 23rd and travel to Durham to play UNH on November 15th. The Green come to Bright-Landry on January 17th. Proceeds from the game will support the Denna Laing Foundation.
              Last edited by Skate79; 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

That's surprising to see so many goalies commit to one school. I have to wonder if coaches from rival schools will try and poach. More than goalies, we need forwards in the worst way. We are thin up front this year.
                Just how would a rival coach go about poaching a goalie or other player? Not that it ever happens.

Comment

I was shocked (and honestly appalled) to see that Mary Parker is using her redshirt year due to injury last season and is playing for BU now (as a graduate student). How many concussions can she absorb? I wish her well, but I have to confess that this just seems wrong on numerous levels to me....

Comment

Everybody WATCH OUT for weird starting times this year...occasionally 3pm or 6pm on Fridays, 3:30pm on Saturdays...looks like MIT frat boys hacked into the schedule using a random digit table

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                      looks like MIT frat boys hacked into the schedule using a random digit table
                      I laughed
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                        Everybody WATCH OUT for weird starting times this year...occasionally 3pm or 6pm on Fridays, 3:30pm on Saturdays...looks like MIT frat boys hacked into the schedule using a random digit table
                        The entire ECAC women will be playing 6pm Friday games when the men are not home. The coaches wanted it.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Just how would a rival coach go about poaching a goalie or other player? Not that it ever happens.
                          There are a million and one ways to get a player to change their minds about a commitment. And it has happened to Harvard on several occasions. Coaches will go to great lengths to weaken a rival in their conference or out of conference. The pressure to win today is nothing like it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            I was shocked (and honestly appalled) to see that Mary Parker is using her redshirt year due to injury last season and is playing for BU now (as a graduate student). How many concussions can she absorb? I wish her well, but I have to confess that this just seems wrong on numerous levels to me....
                            Yeah I wasn't thrilled to read about this either. In addition to the concussion risk, playing for a rival as a grad student knowing you're going to face your alma mater is something of a slap in the face. I can understand if she transferred while an undergrad and I know she loves the game. It just doesn't seem right.

Comment

In addition to the concussion risk, playing for a rival as a grad student knowing you're going to face your alma mater is something of a slap in the face.
                              To be fair to Mary Parker, my understanding is that she was put in this position by Harvard's eligibility rules. If Harvard doesn't allow her to have a full senior season, but the NCAA does, then she is faced with a dilemma if she wishes to continue playing.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X