Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey, Vol II: Rebuild, Refresh, and Renew!

Ugh. 19 seconds in and we're down 1-0.

Still plenty of time left.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

this is why your defensemen need to be **** sure what they're doing when they play aggressive.

For how high flying as OGG wants to play, they have the puck possession skills of a sophomore Michael Davies. And having the worst d corps Oz has ever seen doesn't help.

That said, top line of Besse Kunin Hughes is fun to watch and Frederic is for real. If the team can avoid bad mistakes on d (which will KILL this team and has already after one period), this will be a good team this year.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I actually feel bad for Jurusik. He's been hung out to dry on a lot of plays. He's certainly not standing on his head, but for the support he's getting, I can only fault him so much.

New goal: prevent Oz from suffering a stroke this year.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Man, all the penalties really killed the flow of the game.

To me, it seemed like UW spent a lot of time in the offensive zone, but couldn't generate many chances. It seemed like they spent a strong majority of their time along the boards looking for where to go with it.

Comment

Just got home.... glass half full commentary -

After generating just 15 shots in the first two periods, UW managed to generate that many in the third alone. (but needed some of that pep the first two periods).

Hit two posts

Had a goal waved off. I saw him point for a goal on the second video review, but being there don't know why it was disallowed. Tony seemed satisfied with the explanation but I don't know what it was

So, certainly had chances to get a few more goals in

But, yikes, the D corps may be scary way too often...

And finally, while appreciate NMU moves the games here, bring the band - and get a skating Willy...
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
              Just got home.... glass half full commentary -

After generating just 15 shots in the first two periods, UW managed to generate that many in the third alone. (but needed some of that pep the first two periods).

Hit two posts

Had a goal waved off. I saw him point for a goal on the second video review, but being there don't know why it was disallowed. Tony seemed satisfied with the explanation but I don't know what it was

So, certainly had chances to get a few more goals in

But, yikes, the D corps may be scary way too often...

And finally, while appreciate NMU moves the games here, bring the band - and get a skating Willy...
              Based on these comments, I have hopes for tomorrow night. The defense is going to be a challenge until Nyberg comes in (if he completes his eligibility issues by January,) but I hope that they can continue to push hard like they did in the 3rd period today.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Disappointed with the small crowd tonight. But hey it was nice to drive 4 miles to game instead of a 2 hour trip. We will get the wildcats tomorrow.
                UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

• Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                  From where I was sitting, I could see the ref behind the net. He was waiving the play dead (I assume lost sight of the puck in the commotion). He did point after that, but it's moot at that point. As much as I want to say he shouldn't have waived it off, he probably shouldn't have pointed afterwards. That just confused everyone and was probably the only reason they reviewed.

Comment

We can't rely on two goals winning any games.

The skill was definitely there to put more in, and the play was much more fluid and controlled in the third. More control on passing and possession and we'll be in good shape offensively.

Defense will be a question mark. More than goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Switzer View Post
                      Disappointed with the small crowd tonight. But hey it was nice to drive 4 miles to game instead of a 2 hour trip. We will get the wildcats tomorrow.
                      Listed as 3,091. Seems about right.

I saw no sign of a NMU student section or busses, much less a band.

Hopefully bigger crowd tomorrow when not competing with HS football. And having only one Gamblers game to promote to a hockey crowd certainly didn't help.
                      Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 10-07-2016, 11:12 PM.
                      St. Norbert College Green Knights
                      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      ---
                      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Sounds like the D played as bad in this game as they did last year. Realistically Oz will need at least until the new year to get these guys playing the way they want, if they have the ability and skills to play that way in the first place. Oz mentioned in the post game they simply aren't allowed enough time with the players in pre-season to implement new systems and create new habits through practice. Oz was very happy with the O in the 3rd period, he said things were coming together in the O zone. Still exciting to see G2O get the process started, and it will be a process.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The good news, the style of play is much different. Very nice not to see the puck not dumped in unless it was for a line change.

Expected jitters and missed passes with a new group working together. How they rebound will be important.

Actually very encouraging to see the team play. Nice to see we out shot NMU. Now we need to stop aiming for the chest. Really hard to play when you are 5 on 3. Penalties hurt bad, but hopefully they start eliminating the stupid ones.

The disallowed goal was never a goal. From sec 204, it was clear the puck was under goalie, plus he waved it off and blew the whistle.

Glad to be there last night.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                            Listed as 3,091. Seems about right.

I saw no sign of a NMU student section or busses, much less a band.

Hopefully bigger crowd tomorrow when not competing with HS football. And having only one Gamblers game to promote to a hockey crowd certainly didn't help.
                            I can't say I'm surprised by that number. It's only about 500 less than the attendance for the Friday game in Green Bay 2 years ago. As much instant excitement as there was with the new staff, it is going to take a lot more than one summer to re-build interest in this team. Casual fans hardly exist anymore. Hockey fans barely think of it as a "thing" to be interested in. I can't imagine how much less of a crap people give throughout the state as you go outside of the Madison area. That's why they've been going all out on the promotion front - they need to treat it like they're building up a program the way Bob Johnson did (they just also have a lot of history now).
                            Last edited by WiscDC; 10-08-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Reading posts from those present at Resch, I guess it really shows how bad things got on the recruiting front. Even with a "defensive" system, we weren't getting the good defensemen. Oz will coach 'em up and hopefully do with skaters that the football and bounceyball coaches have done with "average" players.

Let's get the split.

Can somebody explain why we open at Resch? I know it's a lot closer to MQT than MSN and UW wants to showcase in N.E. WI, but fans have got to start showing up from those regions.
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I was just looking at some game photos....holy ****. That's one busy ice surface; it looks like a tagger hit a string of train cars or did the Gambler's join the E.U.?
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X