X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey isn't happening for the Hawkeyes

UI athletics director Gary Barta: 'It would dilute if we added sports'

Not really a surprise.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Hockey isn't happening for the Hawkeyes

Wait, wait, wait a corn picking minute... the public was just told "The Big Ten has over a half-dozen teams poised to add hockey within the next twenty years..."
    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-other-schools

Clearly this AD has no idea what they are talking about. They ARE going to add hockey even if they have to plow under their corn to make room for the rink.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Wait, wait, wait a corn picking minute... the public was just told "The Big Ten has over a half-dozen teams poised to add hockey within the next twenty years..."

Clearly this AD has no idea what they are talking about. They ARE going to add hockey even if they have to plow under their corn to make room for the rink.

Ryan J
      Methinks it's time to stage a coup. Get the rabble rousers ready... If the EU can do it to the Greeks then by God the Big10 should do it to Iowa.

FORWAAAAARD!
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Methinks it's time to stage a coup. Get the rabble rousers ready... If the EU can do it to the Greeks then by God the Big10 should do it to Iowa.

FORWAAAAARD!
        And then which member school holds a vote to leave?

Comment

Iowa's not flat enough for a hockey rink.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            And then which member school holds a vote to leave?
            Wisckexit. They screwed it up the first time.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

What's funny is USCHO's resident "it's time now for Big 10 hockey conference", long before the conference ever existed was a huge Iowa guy. I hope he's enjoying his conference.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ryan J
                I am a supporter of U of I Athletics..

A 7,000 seat rink is actually going to be built in Coralville, which is adjacent to Iowa City. So the facility is in place. Howeve the thought is adding a Men's program would require the addition of a Women's program, and like most of the sports at Iowa outside of Football and Men's Basketball, it would be a loser financially.

http://www.coralville.org/765/Iowa-Arena
                Last edited by MavHockey14; 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM.
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

A 7,000 seat rink is actually going to be built in Coralville, which is adjacent to Iowa City. So the facility is in place. Howeve the thought is adding a Men's program would require the addition of a Women's program, and like most of the sports at Iowa outside of Football and Men's Basketball, it would be a loser financially.

6,216 isn't quite 7,000...but I'm sure you aren't the only one here to take something that is just over 6 and try to convince people that it is 7

This capacity would put it right in line with half of the Big Ten facilities.

You have the 3 large capacity buildings. Ohio State plays in an arena WAY too big for them at 17,500. Wisconsin plays in an arena that can seat over 15,000; they have had trouble filling it the past few years. Minnesota seats 10,000 and they are usually pretty close to capacity.

On the other end are 3 buildings under 7,000 that are usually pretty full. Michigan, who plays to a near capacity in their 5,800 seat space. Michigan State pulls about 5,000 into their 6,500 capacity space. Penn State has been pretty much at capacity in their new building since day 1, going past their 5,782 capacity.

I think most schools would be wise to go with a stadium in that 5-7,000 sweat spot.

I know that Kohl Center feels horrible when there are entire sections that are empty for early season non-conference games. I hope that the recent developments can get some of those people back, but I don't know that there will be regular sell-outs in the future.

Comment

Ryan J
                    I know nothing about Iowa sports, couldn't care less about the Big 10 hockey conference. But 20 years is a long time and these sort of "decisions" tend to be revisited over the years. Is hockey popular in high school and/or juniors in Iowa? Are there any lower division or college club teams?
                    Last edited by camilo; 06-29-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      6,216 isn't quite 7,000...but I'm sure you aren't the only one here to take something that is just over 6 and try to convince people that it is 7

This capacity would put it right in line with half of the Big Ten facilities.

You have the 3 large capacity buildings. Ohio State plays in an arena WAY too big for them at 17,500. Wisconsin plays in an arena that can seat over 15,000; they have had trouble filling it the past few years. Minnesota seats 10,000 and they are usually pretty close to capacity.

On the other end are 3 buildings under 7,000 that are usually pretty full. Michigan, who plays to a near capacity in their 5,800 seat space. Michigan State pulls about 5,000 into their 6,500 capacity space. Penn State has been pretty much at capacity in their new building since day 1, going past their 5,782 capacity.

I think most schools would be wise to go with a stadium in that 5-7,000 sweat spot.
                      I created a spreadsheet with average attendance figures for DI teams and which I posted in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created. All figures are what the schools' reported for attendance, except for Minnesota (past three seasons) and Wisconsin (past ten seasons), which use scanned ticket numbers reported for Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The actual scanned tickets for Minnesota for this past season was 7,139 per game, last season was 7,604, and 2013-14 was 9,062. Reported attendance before that was almost or above 10,000 from 2001-02 through 2009-10, and again in 2012-13, with it around 9,500 for 2010-11 and 2011-12. So it would appears that Mariucci's planned capacity was right for the school. Wisconsin, on the other hand appears to have been built too large for hockey (although I believe it was built with basketball in mind). Official reported average attendance in 2001-02 was 11,123, although it peaked at 13,511 in 2005-06 (the season before I have scanned ticket numbers). The highest average attendance in the past ten seasons was 12,136 in 2009-10 and it has not reached 10,000 in the past six seasons.

Ohio State, which plays in an arena built for basketball, had a very good average attendance of 8,130 in 2001-02, but since then attendance has dropped over 36% since then (although its up over 28% from it's low of 4,004 in 2012-13). A 6,000 seat arena would probably be a good size for them, but its not happening. Penn State's arena appears to be somewhat smaller than optimal, but it is better than making capacity too large. Michigan and Michigan State have seen attendance drops, but they are still reporting good attendance.

Looking at average attendance over the decades I agree that 5,000-7,000 should be the upper limit for a college hockey arena.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                        I know nothing about Iowa sports, couldn't care less about the Big 10 hockey conference. But 20 years is a long time and these sort of "decisions" tend to be revisited over the years. Is hockey popular in high school and/or juniors in Iowa? Are there any lower division or college club teams?
                        In late 1957/early 1958 Minnesota head coach John Mariucci proposed a new western college hockey league and suggested that Marquette, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Creighton and Drake could all start hockey programs, as each city where the schools are located had state of the art facilitates. Only Wisconsin actually added a hockey program.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

Minnesota people aren't that bright. The University of Iowa is in Des Moines, Iowa State is in Iowa City. The two are 113 miles apart. What good does it do for a hockey facility to be built next to Iowa City? Stop drinking the bong water....
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Michigan and Michigan State have seen attendance drops, but they are still reporting good attendance.
                            sparty hockey sucks now. Michigan just renovated their rink and thus lost some seating. Plus former AD DB Brandon raised ticket prices, brought in piped-music, ads, and nickle-and-dime'd us to death and that turned a lot of people off from Michigan hockey. Of course Michigan missing the NCAA Tournament for 3 consecutive years didn't help much either. But yes 6,000 seat arenas seem about right (as long as the area supports hockey).
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              Minnesota people aren't that bright. The University of Iowa is in Des Moines, Iowa State is in Iowa City. The two are 113 miles apart. What good does it do for a hockey facility to be built next to Iowa City? Stop drinking the bong water....
                              The University of Iowa is in Iowa City and Iowa State University is in Ames.

Comment

Working...
                              X