Union College: 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2016-2017

The most crowded I've seen Messa in a while !!
    A good effort overall, against a very good UND team, packed with talent. I was quite impressed by the talent some of their guys showed. Very good puck handling, and really strong against the boards. Their 2 goals are identical: a guy parks in front of the net, receives a stellar pass and roofs it. Perfect execution.
    The positives for Union: we competed hard for 60 minutes, only took 2 penalties, and had a real chance at the W. We had some grade A chances that just didn't go in (kudos to UND's goalie, he saved the day a couple of times). The team as a whole put in a lot of effort, I didn't see any slouchers.
    The not so great: our PP had been getting better over the past 3 or 4 games, with a lot of good movement and real chances. Yesterday, not so much (we had trouble getting in their zone). We also lost a lot of pucks in neutral ice, and had trouble getting the puck in their zone cleanly.
    Let's go Union !
    ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
    ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
    NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Two years ago at Agganis, local Boston Union fans really made their presence felt. "Union vs. #1 Boston University via NBCSN 1-3-15 (HD)" We were so loud that one NBCSN announcer joked that he thought he was in Schenectady. https://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70 Can we do it again? We had fantastic fan turnout. Great barn and a great opportunity for local alums to show their support. On Thursday, let's make Agganis rock !!!
      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-01-2017, 02:47 PM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

"Travel blog: UND in Schenectady (final update) By Brad Elliott Schlossman.
        http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...y-final-update

"Union didn't score a goal until there was just 2:41 left, when Cam Johnson was nice enough to let one by so we could see what Union's game operations do for a home-team goal."

We will have to remember that next year when we visit Grandforks.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-02-2017, 04:24 AM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

BU has incredible depth.

“Yeah, but it’s also an opportunity for guys that we know are good players who haven’t had a chance to get an opportunity,” Quinn said. “I think you saw that the other night when we played Yale — seems like two months ago — [Shane] Switzer and [Brien] Diffley played really good games. We knew that they were really good players. We’re just fortunate that we have depth, and it’s an opportunity for these guys to step up ...." Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2017/01/02/juni...#ixzz4UdxWGLRs

I also have a good feeling about this one Coach Quinn. A chance for us to step up as well.

Our Eastern Mass Players

2016-17 Men's Ice Hockey Roster
          # NAME POS. CL. HT. WT. HOMETOWN PREVIOUS TEAM
          9 Ryan Scarfo F Jr. 6-0 190 North Chelmsford, MA Powell River Kings (BCHL)
          14 J.C. Brassard D Jr. 5-11 180 Scituate, MA Noble and Greenough Bulldogs (Prep)
          21 Mike Vecchione F Sr. 5-10 195 Saugus, MA Tri-City Storm (USHL)
          22 Connor Light D Jr. 6-5 215 Sudbury, MA Omaha Lancers (USHL)
          33 Joe Young G So. 6-2 180 Hanson, MA Philadelphia Junior Flyers (USPHL)
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            "Travel blog: UND in Schenectady (final update) By Brad Elliott Schlossman.
            http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...y-final-update

"Union didn't score a goal until there was just 2:41 left, when Cam Johnson was nice enough to let one by so we could see what Union's game operations do for a home-team goal."

We will have to remember that next year when we visit Grandforks.
            It would be pretty impressive if Union prevented UND from using any of their goal celebration fireworks during next year's series!

Comment

For whatever reason, I've been watching this recap video of the '14 National Championship game a lot lately! Fond memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKgANRbI1w
              National Champions 2014!
              Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
              Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
              Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Two years ago, to the day, at Agganis
                https://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70
                I am bringing a crowd. Let's stomp and scream and shout !!!! Let's get back on track !!!!
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

From Boston University
                  http://dailyfreepress.com/2017/01/05...-roster-quinn/

Quinn stressed committing to playing the body when Vecchione or Foo have the puck. “You can’t spend one ounce of energy fishing for the puck because they’ll make you look bad,” Quinn acknowledged. “If we can do that and play at a pace, we’ll have a better chance to slow them down. I don’t know if you can stop them, but to slow them down is what we’re looking to do.”
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    From Boston University
                    http://dailyfreepress.com/2017/01/05...-roster-quinn/

Quinn stressed committing to playing the body when Vecchione or Foo have the puck. “You can’t spend one ounce of energy fishing for the puck because they’ll make you look bad,” Quinn acknowledged. “If we can do that and play at a pace, we’ll have a better chance to slow them down. I don’t know if you can stop them, but to slow them down is what we’re looking to do.”
                    This is where BU will really miss Greenway and McAvoy.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Not sure what to think about tonight's game as BU is essentially missing about 2/3 of their top 2 lines, so could be hard to gauge the outcome.. other than that if U doesn't do well its not a good sign. Of most concern is that the top line, and pretty much the offense as a whole, has been shut down in the last two games against "tougher" competition. Will be interesting to see if that trend continues. I'm also not surprised to see that opponents are focusing on being tight defensively when the Vecks line is on the ice. Hopefully the other lines can find some room and do some damage, and the first line can take advantage of any opportunities they are given.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

WOW. Some home cooking on those penalties at the end? Lost opportunity for UC. Back to the ECAC schedule. Better do well.

Comment

haha I didn't see the 'too many men' call but the hooking call looked more like a holding the stick call to me. At the end of the day the Dutchmen had plenty of shots and 4 goals, even if they didn't get the Pairwise boost from a win. Hoping to see Union score first and some good results against Harvard (and Dartmouth) next weekend.
                          Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                            WOW. Some home cooking on those penalties at the end? Lost opportunity for UC. Back to the ECAC schedule. Better do well.
                            As soon as they evened up the penalties they put the whistles away - so much interference and holding at the end..
                            maybe it's a Boston rule...

Comment

Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                              LOL both penalties at the end were blatantly obvious. As soon as the game's online stream replay is up I can screenshot you the six guys on the ice and the U guy's stick completely across the BU forward's chest if you'd really like.

Edit: Here: https://campusinsiders.com/live/1-5-17-union-at-bu-mih/
                              02:18:55 - stick clearly across his chest, obvious hook.
                              02:21:30 - U guy coming off the ice, nowhere near bench.
                              02:21:32 - Four different U guys on the screen, guy coming off the bench for previous player has the puck. Not on screen - guy seen two seconds prior is not off the ice.
                              Last edited by brassbonanza; 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by YouSeeAlum View Post
                                WOW. Some home cooking on those penalties at the end?
                                LOL. Which one? The blantant holding or the blantant too many men?

Comment

Working...
                                X