Gordie Howe dead at 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gordie Howe dead at 88

Further tributes at the funeral of "the sharpest elbows in the league".

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...tion-1.3634933

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...rena-1.3633932
    (and some humour in the first comment following this article)...
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 06-14-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      "the sharpest elbows in the league".
      that's the downside, it seems every hero has their dark side

in his case think of all the kids who bullied other little kids wanting to be just like their NHL hero
      kids are impressionable
      I threw a few elbows myself but I noticed the Red Wings were a crappy team lead by a has been
      Montreal had the more attractive players, using speed and skill to defeat the other teams which had to resort to tactics to slow them down and disrupt their game
      occasionally it worked, but over the season and playoffs, it didn't

Comment

My mistake...the funeral was today...here's the final installment...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...eral-1.3635435

Comment

Were you drunk when you wrote this? It makes no sense.

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          that's the downside, it seems every hero has their dark side

in his case think of all the kids who bullied other little kids wanting to be just like their NHL hero
          kids are impressionable
          I threw a few elbows myself but I noticed the Red Wings were a crappy team lead by a has been
          Montreal had the more attractive players, using speed and skill to defeat the other teams which had to resort to tactics to slow them down and disrupt their game
          occasionally it worked, but over the season and playoffs, it didn't

Comment

number of times Montreal won the Stanley Cup between 1955 and 1979 = 15
            number of times Knife Elbows did = 0

even the great hacks of the late 60's early 70s, Bruins only won it twice, same with the the hacks of the mid 70's Flyers
            they played in the rough manly Canadian style ( as opposed to Canadien) so popular among beer swillers

you Canucks like to criticize Americans for who become popular in out culture, maybe you should look in the mirror , the losers you pick as heroes ain't what you think they are either

Comment

Wow...harsh...and completely stupid. Sober up and try again Trump!

number of times Montreal won the Stanley Cup between 1955 and 1979 = 15
              number of times Knife Elbows did = 0

even the great hacks of the late 60's early 70s, Bruins only won it twice, same with the the hacks of the mid 70's Flyers
              they played in the rough manly Canadian style ( as opposed to Canadien) so popular among beer swillers

you Canucks like to criticize Americans for who become popular in out culture, maybe you should look in the mirror , the losers you pick as heroes ain't what you think they are either

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                Wow...harsh...and completely stupid. Sober up and try again Trump!
                I rather enjoy his posts. He's not afraid to call a spade a spade. Political correctness sucks. Look at Ali, everyone just loved him when he died, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and a round wheel, right? But he was not universally liked by perhaps the majority of people for 30 years of his life. I will give Ali credit, he called a spade a spade too and I respect that. He wasn't PC either. Ali = Trump = pokechecker. (passing the puck to an open pokerchecker at the backdoor, will it get slammed in? I'm an assist kinda guy).
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  He's not afraid to call a spade a spade. Political correctness sucks.
                  This.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to go out of your way to insult people and create confrontation just for the sake of creating it.

However, if being objective and truthful creates confrontation then, so be it. That is much preferred to political correctness which ultimately only serves to promote mediocrity and to make brainless cookie cutter clones out of everyone marching in mindless single file lockstep to nowhere.

So, even though you may not agree with someone's outspoken temperament, enjoy that act of freedom (freedom of speech) that you are witnessing in real time before it disappears down the rabbit hole after so many other things in the western world that have lead the way in the name of political correctness (or in the name of anything else)...or is that just the cover story and not the real affliction?

Most people don't pay attention to what's really happening around them.
                  Last edited by Blackbeard; 06-17-2016, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I rather enjoy his posts. He's not afraid to call a spade a spade. Political correctness sucks. Look at Ali, everyone just loved him when he died, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and a round wheel, right? But he was not universally liked by perhaps the majority of people for 30 years of his life. I will give Ali credit, he called a spade a spade too and I respect that. He wasn't PC either. Ali = Trump = pokechecker. (passing the puck to an open pokerchecker at the backdoor, will it get slammed in? I'm an assist kinda guy).
                    I'm talking about a sport legend's death and funeral for God's sake. This idiot needs to show some respect. Leave the trash talk for another time.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      I'm talking about a sport legend's death and funeral for God's sake. This idiot needs to show some respect. Leave the trash talk for another time.
                      Pukechucker feeds off of hate, ignore him when he acts this way. There appears to be a serious mental problem there as he is constantly trying to be offensive often intentionally misunderstanding posts or attributing the worst possible motives on benign comments. I think he lives for the attention it brings him. He is capable of some decent insight on occasion but too often just wants to be a jerk. Skip over him and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        Pukechucker feeds off of hate, ignore him when he acts this way. There appears to be a serious mental problem there as he is constantly trying to be offensive often intentionally misunderstanding posts or attributing the worst possible motives on benign comments. I think he lives for the attention it brings him. He is capable of some decent insight on occasion but too often just wants to be a jerk. Skip over him and move on.
                        Thanks....DONE.

Comment

If Wayne Gretzky says Gordie Howe was his hero, then I guess that’s who his hero is. But Wayne must be suffering from a concussion or puck to his head, I’m not seeing the connection between their style of play.

In golf even clearing your throat while your opponent is swinging his club is considered bad behavior and if done in the PGA could bring a fine. Even the brushback pitch in baseball will get a pitcher thrown out if the umpire thinks you were intentionally trying to bean the batter. Football & basketball, though filled with the baddest of the bad regularly dishes out fines and suspensions to keep players in line.
                          In pro hockey it is not only accepted, it is considered an essential tactic to compete and players versed in dirty tricks are heralded for their bad behavior.
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 06-17-2016, 04:24 PM. Reason: It would have been fitting if someone gave Gretzky a face wash after he delivered his eulogy.

Comment

If Wayne Gretzky says Gordie Howe was his hero, then I guess that’s who his hero is. But Wayne must be suffering from a concussion or puck to his head, I’m not seeing the connection between their style of play.
                            To have a Hero, does not mean you have or can imitate all your Hero's tactics. Howe and Gretzky are physically totally different. Howe was 6 feet tall and over 200 pounds, tall and overpowering in his era when the average height of players was much less than 6 feet. Gretzky who was born 33 years later, is also 6 feet tall, but slender in stature at about 180 pounds tops. As a result he played a more quick and evasive game. Both used their skillset to the max, but each in a different way because of their physical stature. If Gretzky would have tried to play like Howe he would probably not have lasted long. Remember that in the early part of the Gretzky era the likes of the broad street bully Flyers were still around.

Comment

I would have guessed someone more like Yvan Cournoyer

Sorry, but I don’t think people here in the US (except maybe Detroit) view Howe with reverence like they do in Canada. Certainly a good hockey player, and admired for his longevity, but really he is more like a pro wrestler, somewhat of a cartoon character, somebody whose persona you imitated when goofing around.
                              I am referring to people who grew up during his career with Detroit.

Comment

Working...
                              X