The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Now that our non-conference schedule has been released, I thought I'd get next year's thread up and running.

Our non-conference schedule can be seen here.

In addition we have the previously announced game against Wisco at Madison Square Garden on January, 28.

The list of the seven newcomers we have coming to the team this year, including the two transfers who will have to sit out the year, can be seen here.

Any early predictions on what we can expect this year? Any particular series to be excited for?
    Last edited by Buckeye22; 05-25-2016, 07:32 PM.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

As far as expectations I think it's the basics.
    Who will step up and fill the roles of our departed seniors, how well will the new kids mesh and how quickly develop chemistry with their new teammates?
    Will this next season's captains really lead and motivate the team?
    One thing that has been a thorn in my side for years is we seem slow out of the gate and don't start playing as a team until nearly the break.
    I mean, who want to see us play crappy and get beat by Miami early in the season when we could take them after the new year?
    Perhaps that's why they scheduled one of our games against them at the beginning of the second half of the season?

Comment

I am going to try my best to lay off the 'fire the coach' rants this season, but as I indicated on another thread, I need to see tangible evidence that this program is moving forward in the 2016-17 season. With all the players Minnesota and Michigan are losing, along with all the players we have coming back, there is no reason whatsoever for this program to not contend for the BIG Ten Title and subsequent NCAA Tournament berth this coming season. If we have yet another middle-of-the-pack finish in the league, I am going to be very concerned about the direction of this program. IMHO, this is a put-up-or-shut-up season for this hockey program. It will be the fourth season for this coaching regime, and that is more than enough time to at least show that the program is moving forward. I hear you on the slow starts. They need to get that figured out. My thought on that is that it is related to off-season conditioning and what kind of condition these guys are in when they come into fall camp, but I could be wrong when it comes to that. There has to be a reason for the slow starts, though, and it's been that way for the past couple seasons.

Comment

I'm with you guys. Another slow start like last year would be a back breaker. That said, looking at that schedule I think its almost entirely winnable. Denver will likely be a loss, and Miami is always tough. RPI and BG will be tough outs too, but definitely not unbeatable. I think the remaining series should be (emphasis on should) sweeps.

Comment

The ONLY time in many years we didn't have a slow start was that one season under Oz when we were on fire the first half of the season. Only problem was everything was simply flipped.
          We couldn't buy a win during the second half of the season!

Comment

Good thread title!

Regarding the Slow Starts: Since the formation of B1G Hockey, this malady has really affected the whole league. And it's killed all of us in the Pairwise.

My pet theory is that we've collectively wandered into a BIG Hoops mentality. In other words, the Fall games are nothing more than an extended series of pre-season friendlies. Trouble is, most of the non-conference opponents have those games circled on the calendar. They bring their 'A' Game.

But even though I believe the issue is larger than OSU, I do agree with everyone: A strong start this Fall is vital.

Comment

I fully expect this team to be in the running for the conference title and an ncaa tournament bid. The non conference part of the schedule is put together for them to be successful. They should come out of it with a very respectable record. The conference schedule is put and finally they ended that Fri/Sun series with Michigan.

Comment

Link to the B1G schedule here.

It will be nice to actually be at home against Michigan for two nights in a row. Any word on weather or not one of them will be at Nationwide again? I hope not. I don't know about the rest of you, but as a current student I would say it was just kind of an inconvenience, and if anything the atmosphere was worse than it normally would be at the Schott.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post

It will be nice to actually be at home against Michigan for two nights in a row. Any word on weather or not one of them will be at Nationwide again? I hope not. I don't know about the rest of you, but as a current student I would say it was just kind of an inconvenience, and if anything the atmosphere was worse than it normally would be at the Schott.
                  I come down from toledo and refuse to drive 2 hours for one game so am excited about the change to the Michigan series. Looking at the dates both games should be at the schott

Comment

I would like to be at the Joe for the last time during conference finals.
                    Would reminisce deeply on the CCHA era.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      I would like to be at the Joe for the last time during conference finals.
                      Would reminisce deeply on the CCHA era.
                      not sure if this is where you were going but they are changing the conference playoff format after next year. They are going to a best of 3 for the first round and single games for the semi's and finals. The top seed will get a bye into the semifinals.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        not sure if this is where you were going but they are changing the conference playoff format after next year. They are going to a best of 3 for the first round and single games for the semi's and finals. The top seed will get a bye into the semifinals.
                        I hope thats the case. The current format is dumb. I mean we're not the only conference that lets every team in its tournament, but the fact that in the Big 10 you could hypothetically lose every game during the regular season, and then win 3 at the very end and still get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament is ridiculous. Having games on Thursday and Friday afternoons rather than Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights isn't helping attendance either.

I think he mainly just meant that he wanted to go to some of the last games at Joe though. Detroit's building a new arena and the Joe is scheduled to be demolished.

Comment

I hope thats the case. The current format is dumb. I mean we're not the only conference that lets every team in its tournament, but the fact that in the Big 10 you could hypothetically lose every game during the regular season, and then win 3 at the very end and still get an auto bid to the NCAA Tournament is ridiculous. Having games on Thursday and Friday afternoons rather than Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights isn't helping attendance either.

I think he mainly just meant that he wanted to go to some of the last games at Joe though. Detroit's building a new arena and the Joe is scheduled to be demolished.
                          I am going to miss the Joe to but it needed to go about 10 years ago. Looking forward to seeing the Wings play in the new arena

Comment

Correct.
                            The last chance to see (hopefully) Ohio State in a playoff at the Joe.
                            A lot of memories there, especially when the entire family & I were there watching us win the CCHA title back in '04!

Comment

Wow, that is saying something (your last sentence). I didn't think an atmosphere for a college hockey game could ever be any worse than it is in the Schott.

Comment

Working...
                              X