Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    What a **** show. No sense of urgency from this team whatsoever. It's like everyone was waiting for someone else to make a play. They had a chance to keep themselves close to the top ten in the PairWise and they come out and lay an egg against the 5th place team in the league (40th in the PairWise). No excuse for it.
    This Buckeye team has been consistently inconsistent. Your frustration is certainly warranted. And yet...

Michigan does deserve some credit. They brought a different approach to the rink Saturday. Rather than try to trade goals with the Buckeyes, their first commitment was to take away odd-man rushes and tenaciously defend the slot. It was noticeably different than the first three games. You might say that the game plan went against their program's DNA; yet they pulled it off. Granted, the fact Nagelvoort was excellent in goal was a big part of the story. Still, I have to grudgingly respect what Michigan did tonight as a team.

Oh well. It's official now ... this team will have to win the BIG Ten Tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament as they have slipped to 18th in the PairWise. They will not move up enough spots against Michigan State and Wisconsin (provided they win all four games against those teams, which seems unlikely) to ensure that they get in above the lower-ranked teams that will win their conference tournaments and get auto-bids. They needed to get up to 12th or higher, which they were before tonight. That is a lot of pressure to put on themselves, but then, they put themselves in this position with inexplicable losses to inferior teams. Now it's basically win the BIG Ten Tournament or the season is over.
    Do we really know this? The pairwise is quite volatile. And some seem to be under the impression that if we sweep the four remaining games, it will be enough.

Don't get me wrong. Running the table does look like an unrealistic expectation, given the results to date. But I'd like to keep rooting for it, unless elimination from at-large consideration really is official -- mathematically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      This Buckeye team has been consistently inconsistent. Your frustration is certainly warranted. And yet...

Michigan does deserve some credit. They brought a different approach to the rink Saturday. Rather than try to trade goals with the Buckeyes, their first commitment was to take away odd-man rushes and tenaciously defend the slot. It was noticeably different than the first three games. You might say that the game plan went against their program's DNA; yet they pulled it off. Granted, the fact Nagelvoort was excellent in goal was a big part of the story. Still, I have to grudgingly respect what Michigan did tonight as a team.

Do we really know this? The pairwise is quite volatile. And some seem to be under the impression that if we sweep the four remaining games, it will be enough.

Don't get me wrong. Running the table does look like an unrealistic expectation, given the results to date. But I'd like to keep rooting for it, unless elimination from at-large consideration really is official -- mathematically speaking.
      You are certainly right about the PairWise being volatile! I just checked this morning and we are now listed at 15th (go figure). Last night after the game, we were 18th. I guess we will have to see what happens the next couple weeks. Honestly, now that I have calmed down, you are probably right that last night was more about what Michigan did than what we didn't do. That doesn't make it any less aggravating that this team continues to lose to teams they should beat. I just would hate to see a team this talented end up missing out on the NCAA Tournament because they didn't win games they were supposed to win. Mathematically, they may not be in a position where they have to win the BIG Ten Tournament to get an NCAA bid, but they appear to be headed in that direction at this point. Klbaum and I, among others, have had this discussion regarding the PairWise. In order to ensure that we get a bid, we have to get ourselves up to 12th or higher. The reason for this is you have to account for teams that are currently not in the top 16 of the PairWise winning their conference tournaments and getting auto-bids. If we end up 15th (like we are now), we'll get knocked out by auto-bids for the WCHA and Atlantic Hockey, neither of whom have a team ranked in the top 16 of the PairWise. That is how it works, whether we like it or not. Our next opponent is Michigan State, who is ranked 53rd in the PairWise, so we're probably not going to move up that much even if we sweep. Wisconsin has climbed back into 13th after splitting with top 5 Minnesota, so that series in Madison in a couple weeks could be huge in the PairWise depending on what the two teams do next weekend.

Comment

If OSU wins out you will very likely be in, barring perhaps a loss to Mi/MiSt in the tournament. You probably can't afford to drop a game next week, but it's possible even splitting at UW will keep you in. Especially if WI wins one or two at PSU. It seems likely at the moment that two of OSU, PSU, or WI will get At Large bids depending on who beats who over the next two weekends, with PSU having an advantage.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          If OSU wins out you will very likely be in, barring perhaps a loss to Mi/MiSt in the tournament. You probably can't afford to drop a game next week, but it's possible even splitting at UW will keep you in. Especially if WI wins one or two at PSU. It seems likely at the moment that two of OSU, PSU, or WI will get At Large bids depending on who beats who over the next two weekends, with PSU having an advantage.
          I hope you are right. We are in a precarious spot right now when it comes to the NCAA Tournament, to say the least, not to mention us winning out is highly unlikely.

Comment

Ya its definitely close right now. I think a sweep of MSU and a split with Wisco, plus at least one win in the tournament is probably the minimum we will need to get in. Very doable, but we gotta take care of things next week. I don't really understand exactly the math of how the PairWise works, but we seemed to move up a few spots after beating MSU last week, so beating teams worse than us isn't completely useless. Definitely gonna be an exciting end to the season.
            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Zac Dalpe picked up off waivers from Minnesota by the Blue Jackets and assigned him to the Lake Erie Monsters.

Comment

Well this is embarrassing...
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Well this is embarrassing...
                  Yep, and there's no excuse for it. I don't understand how a team with this much talent that has NCAA aspirations could come out week in and week out and somehow think they can get by only playing parts of these games. They basically took the entire first period off and dug themselves a 4-0 hole vs the worst team in the league, and it proved to be a hole they were not able to dig out of. That's unforgivable at this point in the season when they should be playing with a sense of urgency as they are on the PairWise bubble (actually BELOW the PairWise bubble as they have now dropped four spots to 19th). They came out and played the second period, but it wasn't enough. I won't say they didn't show up for the third period, but there didn't appear to be as much urgency as there should have been. Then after the game, Strobel (Asst. Coach) gets on the postgame radio show with Howenstein & Mowat and talks about the team not coming out in the first period, along with some other things we were not doing and I hear him say that phrase we have heard him say before after losses ... "That's on us as coaches." Um, excuse me, but if you haven't gotten through to these kids in the 33rd game of the season and have them doing the things they should be doing to win hockey games, that's bad ... not a good look for the coaching staff! Not sure what else to say other than this team and possibly the coaching staff just do not get it. This team has the talent to get in the NCAA Tournament and even make a little run, and they are going to **** it away with inexcusable losses to inferior teams. I still have smoke coming out of my ears on this one vs a team that is 7-21-3 and is ranked 48th in the PairWise. Bottom line, this program continues to underachieve. They will end up playing their way into having to win the BIG Ten Tournament and get the auto-bid to get into the NCAA Tournament, and if they can't beat Michigan State at home, it's highly unlikely that they will win three hockey games in a row to win the BIG Ten Tournament. Sorry for this rant, but you all know I am just not capable of sugarcoating.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 03-04-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Well im glad i stayed home this weekend. I listened to the game while at the Bowling Green playoff game and it sounded like a team that thought they could just walk on the ice and win. There is no excuse for that they are not good enough to just throw the sticks on the ice and win. Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard and thats what happened last night. Down to #19 and a win tonight sure wont move them up much but with Wisconsin winning again if they can win tonight and get a win or 2 next weekend they will move up.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      Sorry for this rant, but you all know I am just not capable of sugarcoating.
                      Actually you're a very positive poster, and on rare occasions you are guilty of a sugarcoat.

Which only adds more credibility to your "rant." Personally I was stunned by last night's poor 1st Period. It's March. Repeating, it's March. The guys simply have to understand that All A-Game; All The Time is a must. Fall short of that, and the season is going to be over very quickly.

During last night's post-game presser, Coach made the comment that in the last couple of games "We've shot both of our feet off." Painful to hear, but devastatingly accurate.

With the auto-bid out there, there's still hope. But as a certain musical group once said, that's Takin' the long way home. Let's just hope the team is truly ready to play, not ready to make nice. Starting tonight at 8:00.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        Well im glad i stayed home this weekend. I listened to the game while at the Bowling Green playoff game and it sounded like a team that thought they could just walk on the ice and win. There is no excuse for that they are not good enough to just throw the sticks on the ice and win. Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard and thats what happened last night. Down to #19 and a win tonight sure wont move them up much but with Wisconsin winning again if they can win tonight and get a win or 2 next weekend they will move up.
                        Funny, the wife and I were looking for you last night, but didn't see you. I told her I didn't think you made it down. You saw a better game. Sounded like BG took care of business. The wife was happy (she's a BG grad for those who don't know). Your adage is so true and was exactly the case last night ... hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I'll add a couple of ex-CBJ Coach Ken Hitchcock quotes ... "We wanted it to be easier than it was," and "Too many guys under the bar tonight." Way too late in the season for this. You are correct, we're not going to move up much tonight with a win vs #48 in the PairWise, nor should we. We needed to sweep this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Actually you're a very positive poster, and on rare occasions you are guilty of a sugarcoat.

Which only adds more credibility to your "rant." Personally I was stunned by last night's poor 1st Period. It's March. Repeating, it's March. The guys simply have to understand that All A-Game; All The Time is a must. Fall short of that, and the season is going to be over very quickly.

During last night's post-game presser, Coach made the comment that in the last couple of games "We've shot both of our feet off." Painful to hear, but devastatingly accurate.

With the auto-bid out there, there's still hope. But as a certain musical group once said, that's Takin' the long way home. Let's just hope the team is truly ready to play, not ready to make nice. Starting tonight at 8:00.
                          Thanks Pgb! I try to be positive, but last night's performance just set me off, considering we are on the PairWise bubble, and there aren't many games/chances left to move up. I like our coaching staff and I am trying to be in their corner this season, but when the players continue to make the same mistakes the entire season and get off to repeatedly slow starts (also the entire season), I think it is fair to question them regarding accountability and if it's possible that "the inmates are running the asylum." This team is going to end up having to win the BIG Ten Tournament and get the auto-bid, and I am not sure they can pull that off.

Comment

This is the time of year that a team needs to be peaking to have an NCAA shot. Losing at home to the last place team in the conference is the exact opposite of peaking. It's commonly referred to as "tanking".

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              This is the time of year that a team needs to be peaking to have an NCAA shot. Losing at home to the last place team in the conference is the exact opposite of peaking. It's commonly referred to as "tanking".
                              I couldn't agree more, and there's no excuse for a team with this much talent to be "tanking" right now against the worst team in the league. This is the sort of thing that, as much as we try not to, makes some of us question the coaching staff.
                              Last edited by osualum86; 03-04-2017, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I don't think splitting with Michigan State at home is going to move us up that much in the PairWise, but at least we got a win tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X