The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Really wish a certain player would stop the cheap shots and five-minute majors. It's killing us. If we end up losing this game (distinct possibility now), I am going to point back to that selfish, undisciplined play as the time when it all went south in this game. I just don't get it, and please, I don't want to hear any whining about the officiating on that one. That was textbook five-minute major and the gate. He leaves his feet and delivers a head shot. That is an easy call for the officials. I'm ****ed right now because we had a decent shot at a sweep tonight. Now we're probably going to split, which isn't going to help us one **** bit.

Comment

Agreed the Healey major was deserved. I honestly didn't have the best look of the second one, and of course they never show replays of penalties for some stupid reason. From what I did see though, it was not a major penalty. That killed us. Honestly if you told me at the start of the weekend that we would split with Minnesota in a pair of one-goal games, I would've been ok with that. Blowing a lead like we did (twice) tonight though, is like a punch in the stomach. I think we can afford a split with Wisco and still be in with a shout of an at-large bit, but we need to take care of business against MSU . No more stupid penalties. I wonder how long Healey will be out this time?
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

What an undisciplined display of hockey that was. You go from up 3-0 to up 4-2 still on a PP and that guy once again reared his ugly side and took what could be a season killing penalty. No reason on being on the PP to even try and make that hit at the blue line. As far as the 2nd major i thought it should have been a 2 minute penalty but the problem i have is the ref 100 feet from the play called in instead of the guy 2 feet from it. You go from having a chance to pull to 4 points from first place to back 10 and probably no chance at a title because guys want to be stupid and undisciplined. Healey will be suspended for at least friday and probably the weekend. He just dont learn he has done it for four years so i guess we should just expect it but i cant. Stork ruined what was a great game for him with that penalty. He was flying around all night caused a penalty that led to the first goal and made a great pass for the 5th goal. Well on to MSU next weekend and who ever is in the line up must be better than they were tonight with the discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
          Agreed the Healey major was deserved. I honestly didn't have the best look of the second one, and of course they never show replays of penalties for some stupid reason. From what I did see though, it was not a major penalty. That killed us. Honestly if you told me at the start of the weekend that we would split with Minnesota in a pair of one-goal games, I would've been ok with that. Blowing a lead like we did (twice) tonight though, is like a punch in the stomach. I think we can afford a split with Wisco and still be in with a shout of an at-large bit, but we need to take care of business against MSU . No more stupid penalties. I wonder how long Healey will be out this time?
          I have to admit, I have gotten fed up with all the *****ing about the referees this season when we repeatedly commit stupid, selfish, undisciplined penalties and put ourselves in these positions. However, that five-minute call on Dakota Joshua was bull****. No way did that hit warrant a five-minute penalty. Dakota was trying to hold up and the Minnesota player took a dive. As for being happy with the split, you and I will just have to agree to disagree on expectations for this team. I am not happy with a split this weekend for the simple fact that it does us no good in the BIG Ten standings or the PairWise for that matter. With games coming up vs Michigan State and Michigan, we have to have sweeps. We are too far down in the standings to only get three points every weekend. After tonight, Minnesota is back to being ten points ahead of us in the standings. This one hurt, I don't think there is any question about that. This team's NCAA Tournament hopes are in a precarious position to put it mildly, and they cannot afford to split every weekend and expect to get to the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
            What an undisciplined display of hockey that was. You go from up 3-0 to up 4-2 still on a PP and that guy once again reared his ugly side and took what could be a season killing penalty. No reason on being on the PP to even try and make that hit at the blue line. As far as the 2nd major i thought it should have been a 2 minute penalty but the problem i have is the ref 100 feet from the play called in instead of the guy 2 feet from it. You go from having a chance to pull to 4 points from first place to back 10 and probably no chance at a title because guys want to be stupid and undisciplined. Healey will be suspended for at least friday and probably the weekend. He just dont learn he has done it for four years so i guess we should just expect it but i cant. Stork ruined what was a great game for him with that penalty. He was flying around all night caused a penalty that led to the first goal and made a great pass for the 5th goal. Well on to MSU next weekend and who ever is in the line up must be better than they were tonight with the discipline.
            Totally agree with you on all points ... especially the part about "season-killing penalties." I still have smoke coming out of my ears on this one. We had a chance to really tighten the BIG Ten race and instead, we committed stupid, undisciplined penalties and probably ****ed away a potential BIG Ten Title. A split this weekend did us absolutely no good because we're still ten points behind Minnesota. I do think the five-minute penalty on Dakota was a chicken**** call, but the problem is, we have a reputation for making dirty hits like that. Maybe setting home next month and watching 16 other teams play for the NCAA Title will wake this program up.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              I have to admit, I have gotten fed up with all the *****ing about the referees this season when we repeatedly commit stupid, selfish, undisciplined penalties and put ourselves in these positions. However, that five-minute call on Dakota Joshua was bull****. No way did that hit warrant a five-minute penalty. Dakota was trying to hold up and the Minnesota player took a dive. As for being happy with the split, you and I will just have to agree to disagree on expectations for this team. I am not happy with a split this weekend for the simple fact that it does us no good in the BIG Ten standings or the PairWise for that matter. With games coming up vs Michigan State and Michigan, we have to have sweeps. We are too far down in the standings to only get three points every weekend. After tonight, Minnesota is back to being ten points ahead of us in the standings. This one hurt, I don't think there is any question about that. This team's NCAA Tournament hopes are in a precarious position to put it mildly, and they cannot afford to split every weekend and expect to get to the NCAA Tournament.
              that 2nd 5 minute penalty was on Stork not Dakota but as far as splitting weekends it needs to stop right here.

Comment

How did you guys NOT see or comment on that hit that leveled our guy well away from the puck that Josh did the retaliation for? If THAT was called then Healy's hit wouldn't have happened!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Maybe setting home next month and watching 16 other teams play for the NCAA Title will wake this program up.
                  I'm sorry I just don't see where these lofty expectations are coming from. Did you really expect us to go undefeated for the last five weeks of the season? This team had one notable addition this year, Laczynski. Other than that, its the same team/same couching staff that had a losing record last year. Is it because we beat Denver at the start of the year? We also lost to and tied Robert Morris, tied and lost to Miami, tied UConn and tied ASU; all average teams at best.. Last year we beat BC and Cornell. Wins like that are nice, but it doesn't suddenly turn us into a shoe-in for a tournament spot. Like I've said before, I'm not content or happy with mediocrity, and I expect better things from this team too, but I don't feel like implying that the players and/or couching staff just don't care, or aren't taking the season seriously enough or aren't trying hard enough is fair or justified. This team is a clear improvement over past seasons, and being "ok" with a split with the #5 team in the country (and the only team in the Big 10 playing with any level of consistency) doesn't mean I have low expectations. It means I'm trying to stay realistic with my expectations.
                  Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                  University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

that 2nd 5 minute penalty was on Stork not Dakota but as far as splitting weekends it needs to stop right here.
                    Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought it was Dakota. I totally agree, we cannot afford to continue splitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                      I'm sorry I just don't see where these lofty expectations are coming from. Did you really expect us to go undefeated for the last five weeks of the season? This team had one notable addition this year, Laczynski. Other than that, its the same team/same couching staff that had a losing record last year. Is it because we beat Denver at the start of the year? We also lost to and tied Robert Morris, tied and lost to Miami, tied UConn and tied ASU; all average teams at best.. Last year we beat BC and Cornell. Wins like that are nice, but it doesn't suddenly turn us into a shoe-in for a tournament spot. Like I've said before, I'm not content or happy with mediocrity, and I expect better things from this team too, but I don't feel like implying that the players and/or couching staff just don't care, or aren't taking the season seriously enough or aren't trying hard enough is fair or justified. This team is a clear improvement over past seasons, and being "ok" with a split with the #5 team in the country (and the only team in the Big 10 playing with any level of consistency) doesn't mean I have low expectations. It means I'm trying to stay realistic with my expectations.
                      I think the expectations of an NCAA Tournament appearance are based on this being a talented team that is one of the top scoring teams in the country, and has decent goaltending and D's for the most part. If you asked the coaching staff and players, I would be willing to bet that they have the same goals, maybe even loftier than just getting there. This team has five wins against top five teams in the country, so they have shown repeatedly that they can compete at that level. No one has said or implied that this team is a "shoe-in" for an NCAA Tournament berth, an NCAA bid has to be earned. And no one expected this team to go undefeated the last five weeks of the season, so not sure where you are coming from there. Some of us are just saying we cannot continue to just split every weekend, especially with teams that are below us in the BIG Ten standings and PairWise, as we have seen on some occasions recently. As far as me implying that the players and coaching staff "don't care" or "aren't trying hard enough," not sure where that is coming from. I guess maybe I should have used the phrase "motivate this program" rather than "wake this program up." At the end of the day we're all Buckeye Hockey fans, so we can agree to disagree on expectations. I just don't think it is wrong for fans to have the same expectations as the team and coaching staff. With the talent level of the team this season, I don't think expecting this team to make an NCAA Tournament appearance is out of line. The fact that this team has been in the top 16 of the Pairwise rankings for most of the season actually backs up the NCAA Tournament expectations.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 02-13-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

As I expected healey gets 2 games. Those type of selfish plays hurt your teammates and now someone has to play more minutes than expected.

Comment

As I expected healey gets 2 games. Those type of selfish plays hurt your teammates and now someone has to play more minutes than expected.
                          What is the status of Brevig? Back this weekend?

Comment

Totally agree, and as a senior and one of the captains, I do not understand why he continues to make these plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedScarlet View Post
                              What is the status of Brevig? Back this weekend?
                              Brevig is out until at least wisconsin.

Comment

I put it to you guys AGAIN, what of the hit on OUR guy that should have been called that Healey retaliated for? I think that's VERY relevant! He was being the enforcer on a bad non call.

Comment

Working...
                                X