Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    It wasnt pretty every Michigan goal was set up by a Buckeye mistake. The offense was there from the beginning tonight Schilkey was great Dakota was good but he has to stop with the crap almost taking a Power Play away in the first. Jobst had a great night 2 more goals. the Power play was outstanding 7 goals on the weekend and they out scored Michigan 7-0 in the 3rd period this weekend. On to Minnesota they are rolling so its going to have to be a 20 man effort each night.
    I thought the first Michigan goal was caused by a non call on a hook by Michigan creating the turnover that led to the goal. I was a little concerned for Shilkey as he seemed a somewhat gimpy when walking from the bus into Yost but man did he come through in the clutch when we needed him! Great finish to let the air out of the Michigan fans tires who were being a little too smug with all the crap their players were pulling on our guys and getting away with like the little slashes after the whistles or the elbows they would throw when heading to the bench. They were trying hard to get us to retaliate and get the penalty but we paid them back and then some not only with the win but slamming the door shut at the end of regulation is always a kick in their guts! Great job Bucks!
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Hope this team can get some consistency and start taking more than three points each weekend. After Friday's loss, we've dropped out of the top 16 of the PairWise, so we really need to stop splitting every weekend, especially against unranked teams. This team has too much talent to be splitting with teams below us in the standings.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        Hope this team can get some consistency and start taking more than three points each weekend. After Friday's loss, we've dropped out of the top 16 of the PairWise, so we really need to stop splitting every weekend, especially against unranked teams. This team has too much talent to be splitting with teams below us in the standings.
        Well Schilkey should be back to 100% (or at least as close as anybody's gonna get at this point in the season) next week and Healey won't be suspended for the first game (and hopefully the second ) either. So there's still reason to be optimistic. I agree, the Wisco weekend was bad. We just didn't look good. Things weren't super pretty this weekend either, but like I said earlier anytime you win in Yost it's a good thing, and a loss there shouldn't come as a surprise, regardless of Michigan's record. Gonna be an interesting end to the season for sure.
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
          Well Schilkey should be back to 100% (or at least as close as anybody's gonna get at this point in the season) next week and Healey won't be suspended for the first game (and hopefully the second ) either. So there's still reason to be optimistic. I agree, the Wisco weekend was bad. We just didn't look good. Things weren't super pretty this weekend either, but like I said earlier anytime you win in Yost it's a good thing, and a loss there shouldn't come as a surprise, regardless of Michigan's record. Gonna be an interesting end to the season for sure.
          Trying to be optimistic, but it's not easy when we're 1-3 in our last four at a time when we really need points. We are only two points behind 3rd place Penn State, but we're now ten points behind Wisconsin and Minnesota, who are tied for first place. That is almost insurmountable, honestly, unless both teams suddenly go into the tank, which obviously isn't going to happen. The win at Yost was all well and good, but we needed to sweep after getting swept by Wisconsin. The loss at Yost was a surprise to me. We didn't play well vs Wisconsin, but I didn't expect us to get whipped by a team that went into last weekend with a 1-6-1 BIG Ten record. The PairWise wasn't impressed either, dropping us from 15th to 18th. I really hope everyone who thinks "we're fine" is right. I see an inconsistent team whose season is heading in the wrong direction if they don't figure things out and get the ship righted. This team has too much talent for this on again/off again crap, and certainly, they should know by now that they need to come out and play a 60-minute game, not 20 like they did Friday night at Yost. No excuse for a team that is in 4th place in the BIG Ten and ten points behind the BIG Ten leaders to think they can get away with anything less than a 60-minute game.

Comment

I'm not saying "we're fine." There's a lot we could improve on. But let's try an keep some perspective here. We haven't made it to the tournament in 8 years. We've had a losing record each of the last two seasons. Right now we're #12 with a month left to play, our leading scorer will be coming back healthy, and worst case scenario we're in a conference where everybody makes it to the tournament anyway. I'm not content with mediocrity. I was in Yost on friday pulling my hair out. The inconsistency is wicked frustrating, but even #1 BU got swept by unranked Merrimack last week. Stuff happens, especially when you're banged up. I definitely won't be ok with a total collapse at the end of the year, but I don't see that happening. I'm just saying, all things considered, we should be pretty happy with where this team is right now, and not pushing the panic button just yet.
            Last edited by Buckeye22; 02-07-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Schilkey looked really good this weekend and he will only get healthier. This is the Last time they will play a team ahead of them in the pairwise so they need to take advantage of it especially being at home. Wisconsin might be ahead of them when they play but beating them will most likely will allow Ohio state to jump them.

Comment

I'm not saying "we're fine." There's a lot we could improve on. But let's try an keep some perspective here. We haven't made it to the tournament in 8 years. We've had a losing record each of the last two seasons. Right now we're #12 with a month left to play, our leading scorer will be coming back healthy, and worst case scenario we're in a conference where everybody makes it to the tournament anyway. I'm not content with mediocrity. I was in Yost on friday pulling my hair out. The inconsistency is wicked frustrating, but even #1 BU got swept by unranked Merrimack last week. Stuff happens, especially when you're banged up. I definitely won't be ok with a total collapse at the end of the year, but I don't see that happening. I'm just saying, all things considered, we should be pretty happy with where this team is right now, and not pushing the panic button just yet.
                Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing the panic button, at least not yet, but with the talent on this team, this should be an NCAA Tournament year, I think most of us agreed on that before the season started. Those of us who have followed OSU Hockey in recent years are aware that this program has not been to an NCAA Tournament since the 2008-09 season (way overdue, IMHO). #12 in the poll doesn't really mean anything, it's the PairWise that determines the teams who make the NCAA Tournament and we are on the outside looking in on that one ... setting at 18th. Thankfully, our leading scorer looked pretty healthy Saturday night. Bottom line, though, this team has work to do if they want to get to the NCAA Tournament, and splitting with unranked teams will continue to drop us in the PairWise. I hear you on the injuries, but then, it's February, so every team is banged up. Honestly, if I said I was happy with where this team was right now, I would be lying. OTOH, I am going to hold off and see where this team goes in the next few weeks, and where they are in another month or so in the PairWise rankings.

Comment

Schilkey looked really good this weekend and he will only get healthier. This is the Last time they will play a team ahead of them in the pairwise so they need to take advantage of it especially being at home. Wisconsin might be ahead of them when they play but beating them will most likely will allow Ohio state to jump them.
                  It was nice to see Schilkey back this past weekend. We missed him. Totally agree that we need to take advantage of playing teams below them in the standings/PairWise, and we need to get some 6-point weekends. We cannot afford to continue splitting with unranked teams. We have a little score to settle with Wisconsin, and thankfully, albeit inexplicably, we are way better on the road this season than we have been on home ice (4-4-2 home, 9-2-3 road, 0-1-1 neutral ... total 13-7-6). There is definitely a favorable schedule for us down the stretch provided we come out and play a full 60 in these games.

Comment

I told you there was no reason for all those negative waves! Go Bucks!

Comment

I told you there was no reason for all those negative waves! Go Bucks!
                      LOL, it was a nice win tonight, but we're not exactly out of the woods yet. We're still setting in 4th place, but since Wisconsin lost to Penn State, we are now within seven points of the leaders, so there's that. I don't see this happening, but it would be great to win again tomorrow and sweep, or at least get it to a shootout so that we get another point or two. We need all the points we can get. That goal of Schilkey's was just filthy. Gonna miss him next season.

Comment

Nice win tonight especially after blowing that 2 goal lead and falling behind. That should the character of this team which we have seen before but the leadership of the seniors on this team is allowing them to succeed. You cant sweep if you dont win on Friday so the chance is there.

Comment

I got a little nervous in the last two minutes when the student section started chanting "Goodbye" and then Minnesota promptly scored a goal to cut the lead to one. Also, I'm not generally one to complain about the refs, but the offsetting roughing calls involving Lampasso towards the end was silly to me. I thought it was pretty clear interference and Lampasso was the victim. Regardless, good win tonight. Love to see the offense clicking. Any reason why Frey didn't start?

Comment

[QUOTE=Buckeye22;6441599 Any reason why Frey didn't start?[/QUOTE]

From what i gathered it was just a momentum thing from last weekend. He won the game saturday and earned the start last night. I would expect him to be in again tonight.

Comment

From what i gathered it was just a momentum thing from last weekend. He won the game saturday and earned the start last night. I would expect him to be in again tonight.
                              I agree. All goalies are head cases and thrive on success. Tompkins has momentum and confidence. He'll be in net tonight and next weeks starter will most likely be decided in practice during the week.

Comment

Gee, no love even in your hometown. The Dispatch screwed up and instead of a good write up on our win last night the morons re-published the results from LAST weeks Friday loss as Michigan.
                                How disappointing!

Comment

Working...
                                X