Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    not sure if this is where you were going but they are changing the conference playoff format after next year. They are going to a best of 3 for the first round and single games for the semi's and finals. The top seed will get a bye into the semifinals.
    Great. LOL, now we get to go back to men's playoff games in the OSU Ice Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      I am going to miss the Joe to but it needed to go about 10 years ago. Looking forward to seeing the Wings play in the new arena
      That new arena is going to be amazing from what I have read. I agree with you on the Joe, it has become outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        Wow, that is saying something (your last sentence). I didn't think an atmosphere for a college hockey game could ever be any worse than it is in the Schott.
        The atmosphere at the Schott is usually great for the Michigan game. The game at Nationwide pretty much felt like any other home game though. Not good.

Great. LOL, now we get to go back to men's playoff games in the OSU Ice Rink.
        Hey, at least the place would be rocking!
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Our season starts at home on October 2nd with an exhibition game against Wilfrid Laurier University (CIS). Full schedule here.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
            Hey, at least the place would be rocking!
            I have to agree with you on that. I was at game three of that CCHA Playoff Series in 2012-13 vs Ferris State and the OSU Ice Rink was pretty loud. It was probably a better atmosphere than if the game would have been at the Schott. I forget the year, but we were also at a CCHA Playoff Series vs Notre Dame in the OSU Ice Rink that was rocking pretty good.

Comment

If, as has been reported, the second round of the playoffs will be single games at the two highest remaining seeds and the championship game will be on home ice of the highest remaining seed I can hardly wait for the reaction when the championship game is in the ice arena because the high school girls are playing basketball in a half empty Schott - or wrestling, or boy's basketball.

Maybe that would be the embarrassment the athletic department needs to do something about that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                If, as has been reported, the second round of the playoffs will be single games at the two highest remaining seeds and the championship game will be on home ice of the highest remaining seed I can hardly wait for the reaction when the championship game is in the ice arena because the high school girls are playing basketball in a half empty Schott - or wrestling, or boy's basketball.

Maybe that would be the embarrassment the athletic department needs to do something about that situation.
                We could play in the Fairgrounds Coliseum. It may smell bad, but at least it fits more than the Ice Rink!

Comment

I always though there should be an NCAA rule mandating collegiate teams not being denied use of their facilities due to "other" or non-collegiate activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post

Like, enough embarrassment that they finally build the hockey programs their own building?!?

Comment

We could play in the Fairgrounds Coliseum. It may smell bad, but at least it fits more than the Ice Rink!
                      I would welcome this. 5,000 seats are better than 1,000. They still have a sheet of ice in the Fairgrounds Coliseum because one of the youth programs in Columbus uses it, if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        I always though there should be an NCAA rule mandating collegiate teams not being denied use of their facilities due to "other" or non-collegiate activities.
                        This would be a great rule. I would settle for OSU doing the right thing and having wrestling and HS hoops at St. John Arena. The kids who wear the Scarlet & Gray and go to class at tOSU should get first dibs on the facilities at their university, not the high schools. Don't get me wrong, I know it's a big thrill for the high school kids to play at tOSU and win state titles, but those facilities should be for OSU's kids first.

Comment

This would be a great rule. I would settle for OSU doing the right thing and having wrestling and HS hoops at St. John Arena. The kids who wear the Scarlet & Gray and go to class at tOSU should get first dibs on the facilities at their university, not the high schools. Don't get me wrong, I know it's a big thrill for the high school kids to play at tOSU and win state titles, but those facilities should be for OSU's kids first.
                          For far too long a time OSU has been all about the money.
                          They overspend on people like Gene Smith and others so they try to rake in every dime they can to cover their poor spending habits.
                          That's why they rent out our facilities to the OHSAA. Too bad for them if they are ever forced to abandon that.

Comment

For far too long a time OSU has been all about the money.
                            They overspend on people like Gene Smith and others so they try to rake in every dime they can to cover their poor spending habits.
                            That's why they rent out our facilities to the OHSAA. Too bad for them if they are ever forced to abandon that.
                            What's worse is that the Schott and Nationwide are managed by the same company, so they could probably easily move those conflicting events over to Nationwide if they wanted to. Honestly, I was only kind of joking about the Fairgrounds Coliseum. We've used it for the odd game in the past (don't think we've played there since the late 90's). It seats about 5,000 which would be perfect for an OSU playoff game. It'd be a big step down in luxury, but the atmosphere would be great. Honestly I don't think we have to worry. I don't think the Big 10 would ever let a playoff game (much less the championship game) be played at OSU Ice Rink. They would figure out someway to squeeze it in at either the Schott or Nationwide. The Big Ten would probably have us play at Quicken Loans in Cleveland before they would let us play at the Ice Rink haha. And for those same money reasons you mentioned, OSU would probably go right along with it.

Comment

Honestly, I was only kind of joking about the Fairgrounds Coliseum. We've used it for the odd game in the past (don't think we've played there since the late 90's).
                              We played there last around 2007 or thereabouts. I remember Fritche was still on the team but battling his colitis and did not play so that would have been about his junior year.

Comment

We played there last around 2007 or thereabouts.
                                You have an excellent memory; I had forgotten about that game. The opponent was Western Michigan. The date was November 10, 2006. But even with my recollection refreshed, I'm drawing a blank as to why that game was moved to the Fairgrounds. It was very much the exception to the rule once the Schott opened for business.

During the 1990s, in contrast, quite a few games were staged at "The Ohio Expo Center." Based on a quick check of the records, several games per season were held there from Fall 1993 through Winter 1998.

Back in the 90s, the motivation was pretty obvious. Especially when compared to the pre-renovations Ice Rink, it was clearly an upgrade. And those were basically the Columbus Chill years. So the ice was already in place for most of the season.

Moving games off campus always creates complications. And the hockey teams did have to share the facility with the high school basketball playoffs. But overall, having 2-4 games a season at the Fairgrounds was a good thing, at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X