The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Ohio State 2016-17 Thread: Let's give this another Schott

I see no reason for our lack of hustle and attacking the net. We too often shoot from the angles and there's no one in position for a nice rebound to put into a gaping net although last night we kept missing the gaping net so maybe that is not a given?

Comment

Buckeyes getting beat again tonight. 1-0, Wisconsin leads at the second intermission. Hope this team wakes up before it's too late. They really can't afford a sweep this weekend. They're going to drop out of the top 16 of the PairWise and end up having to win the BIG Ten Tournament to get an NCAA Tournament bid.

Comment

Zebra's hurt us again tonight, especially on allowing the winning goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Zebra's hurt us again tonight, especially on allowing the winning goal.
          Sorry man, that wasn't interference. Two great games between two improved teams. Great to see the B1G is more than the hated M's.

Comment

There were some calls that went against us tonight, but you really can't blame this one on the zebras. When you have that much talent, there's no excuse to let it get to the point where one call or another makes that much difference. This team just does not get it. The PairWise is going to be ugly, that is, if we are even still in the top 16. The PairWise doesn't excuse top tens who get swept by unranked teams, nor should they. This one is going to leave a mark.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
              Sorry man, that wasn't interference. Two great games between two improved teams. Great to see the B1G is more than the hated M's.
              Maybe, maybe not but I will say some, not all, of the other calls against us were weak as water.

Comment

Two great games between two improved teams.
                Disagree with the second part of your statement, at least the word "two." Wisconsin is definitely improved. Our team appears to be regressing. We'll probably split up at Michigan next weekend, which won't help us. We have put ourselves in a position where we need to sweep next weekend and get the six points.

Comment

The biggest shocker to me this weekend was the lack of goals. Everyone talked about the team's offenses - but there were only 9 goals in the two games and one was an ENG and one took place in OT. Pretty surprising.

Comment

The biggest shocker to me this weekend was the lack of goals. Everyone talked about the team's offenses - but there were only 9 goals in the two games and one was an ENG and one took place in OT. Pretty surprising.
                    I have been following OSU Hockey for more than 30 years and I cannot figure this team out. They have a lot of talent and yet, their puck management skills were sorely lacking this weekend, they suddenly couldn't score goals, and they basically got what they deserved ... swept for the first time this season. I just hope this is rock bottom and this team finally wakes up and starts playing to their potential. They can still achieve the goals they have set for themselves, but they need to be consistent. This only-show-up-every-other-weekend bull**** has to stop. There's no excuse for a team with this much talent to be this inconsistent. Last season, I blamed the coaching and let the players off the hook (I was wrong). This season is on the players. We beat #1 on the road last weekend, taking five of the six points. Coach Rohlik didn't friggin' forget how to coach between last weekend and this weekend. It's not his fault this team just decides to only show up every other weekend. Coach Rohlik has been preaching about effort and consistency all season and for whatever reason, the message is just not getting through to these guys. All that talent and we're setting in 4th place with a paltry 11 points and the chance to climb up in the standings is slipping away with 3rd-place Penn State having 16 points and Minnesota and Wisconsin tied for first with 18 points. We're chasing the standings at this point, and that is an uphill climb. We'll find out if these players have what it takes to turn this season around.

Comment

That goal shouldnt have counted but that wasnt the difference in this game. For 58 minutes Ohio State got out worked out played and lost battles and deserved to lose in regulation. Those last 2 minutes they won battles in at the net and found a way. On the winning goal that was interference but blame the back checkers for not getting the man they were supposed to. Now on to Michigan where they have won a game in 3 of the last 4 years i believe they need to get back to working hard down low and shoot the puck more way to many times especially tonight they had chances to shoot and passed it up to make a move and the puck got stolen and/or they got checked off the puck. This is frustrating to see this talented team go through this but good teams fight out of it and come away a better team.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        That goal shouldnt have counted but that wasnt the difference in this game. For 58 minutes Ohio State got out worked out played and lost battles and deserved to lose in regulation. Those last 2 minutes they won battles in at the net and found a way. On the winning goal that was interference but blame the back checkers for not getting the man they were supposed to. Now on to Michigan where they have won a game in 3 of the last 4 years i believe they need to get back to working hard down low and shoot the puck more way to many times especially tonight they had chances to shoot and passed it up to make a move and the puck got stolen and/or they got checked off the puck. This is frustrating to see this talented team go through this but good teams fight out of it and come away a better team.
                        Sincerely hope you are right, and I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement ... frustrating to watch a team with this much talent play the way they did this past weekend. They almost need to sweep next weekend to get themselves back in the BIG Ten race, then at least get four points against Minnesota the weekend after that. Just checked the PairWise ... ouch. We are down to 15th in the PairWise. So, at this point, we're hanging on by a thread. Any more weekends like this one where we get swept by an unranked team will drop us out of the top 16. That will mean we'll have to win the BIG Ten Tournament and get the auto bid in order to get into the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise, this program sets home and watches 16 other teams play for an NCAA Title.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          I have been following OSU Hockey for more than 30 years and I cannot figure this team out. They have a lot of talent and yet, their puck management skills were sorely lacking this weekend, they suddenly couldn't score goals, and they basically got what they deserved ... swept for the first time this season. I just hope this is rock bottom and this team finally wakes up and starts playing to their potential. They can still achieve the goals they have set for themselves, but they need to be consistent. This only-show-up-every-other-weekend bull**** has to stop. There's no excuse for a team with this much talent to be this inconsistent. Last season, I blamed the coaching and let the players off the hook (I was wrong). This season is on the players. We beat #1 on the road last weekend, taking five of the six points. Coach Rohlik didn't friggin' forget how to coach between last weekend and this weekend. It's not his fault this team just decides to only show up every other weekend. Coach Rohlik has been preaching about effort and consistency all season and for whatever reason, the message is just not getting through to these guys. All that talent and we're setting in 4th place with a paltry 11 points and the chance to climb up in the standings is slipping away with 3rd-place Penn State having 16 points and Minnesota and Wisconsin tied for first with 18 points. We're chasing the standings at this point, and that is an uphill climb. We'll find out if these players have what it takes to turn this season around.
                          Sir, I am not an OSU fan - simply on your team's thread because my team was playing yours - but I can feel your pain. A slow start really hurt your team Friday night, and they just couldn't score when they had chances. Saturday was a toss-up game that could have went either way. All things considered, you still didn't have your best scorer and your team is better than in the past few years. I guess I am just trying to talk you off the ledge....

Changing subjects, I really think that two teams play even for 60 minutes, they should each get a point in the standings. If a team wins in OT or in the SO then that team should get the 3rd point. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

I liked how Dakota stepped up in his game and Wisconsin took notice trying him up at every opportunity and Jobst as well, but this is a TEAM and everybody has a role to play and step up to get the win.
                            We need to not be so afraid to bring out guys in from the blue line go keep the puck in and so we can get in front of the net with numbers. We still seem to always prefer to take shots from the angle and don't get in close on the net and how many times when we do get in tight instead of taking the shot on the doorstep we PASS and turn it over doing so?
                            One last thing, what was with the refs calling it INTERFERENCE on Healy? Never saw a 5 minute interference in my life. THAT was really strange on the refs to not call it something else!
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-29-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Sir, I am not an OSU fan - simply on your team's thread because my team was playing yours - but I can feel your pain. A slow start really hurt your team Friday night, and they just couldn't score when they had chances. Saturday was a toss-up game that could have went either way. All things considered, you still didn't have your best scorer and your team is better than in the past few years. I guess I am just trying to talk you off the ledge....

Changing subjects, I really think that two teams play even for 60 minutes, they should each get a point in the standings. If a team wins in OT or in the SO then that team should get the 3rd point. But that's just my opinion.
                              I totally respect your opinion and I appreciate you trying to "talk me off the ledge." I agree that we are definitely missing Nick Schilkey and I sincerely hope he is back next weekend. OTOH, if the coaching staff recruits well, and by most accounts ours has, losing one player shouldn't be this catastrophic. We still have more than enough talent to play consistently good hockey and win games. I would characterize this team as underachieving at this point. Thankfully, there is still enough season left that they can figure things out and get on a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                I liked how Dakota stepped up in his game and Wisconsin took notice trying him up at every opportunity and Jobst as well, but this is a TEAM and everybody has a role to play and step up to get the win.
                                We need to not be so afraid to bring out guys in from the blue line go keep the puck in and so we can get in front of the net with numbers. We still seem to always prefer to take shots from the angle and don't get in close on the net and how many times when we do get in tight instead of taking the shot on the doorstep we PASS and turn it over doing so?
                                One last thing, what was with the refs calling it INTERFERENCE on Healy? Never saw a 5 minute interference in my life. THAT was really strange on the refs to not call it something else!
                                The problem is, Healey has a reputation for making stupid, dirty hits like that, so he is not going to get the benefit of the doubt. OTOH, a similar head shot by a Wisconsin player on one of our kids was only given two minutes, so go figure. The announcers tried to pass it off as shoulder to shoulder, but replays showed that there was clearly contact to the head of the Ohio State player. I also understand your issue on the winning goal, but IMHO, I think it was allowed to stand because our guy pushed the Wisconsin player into Frey. The Wisconsin player didn't plow into Frey on his own, he had some help. I think that is why the goal stood. It is what it is. This team will either wake up and quit thinking they are somehow good enough to turn the switch on and off, or they'll continue down this path and end up setting home come March and April. It's up to them as to what they want to accomplish this season and whether they are willing to put in the work to make those goals a reality. For now, though, this team is the poster child for the sports axiom "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Comment

Working...
                                X