Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans Offseason

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    If you were either at the funeral or listened on radio, what was your favorite "Ron-Man" story?

To me Dave Carrier led the way. He recounted that during one of his his weekly practice-related meetings with Mason, he opined that the team looked physically spent and asked to consider if the boys could get the day off. Mason said "Great, meeting over".

A while later, after about 20 minutes on the ice, Mason blew the whistle, screamed about his team's lack of readiness for practice, and to get the hell off his ice. He then walked by Carrier, winked at him and said, "that work for you?".
    I liked Izzo's about Ron showing up before sunrise at basketball practice to give him support. I think Newton had told the same story at the press conference Monday with the added line of "No one's quite sure how Ron knew when they were practicing that day. Nobody told him and he never asked."

"You're not a nobody, you're somebody."

And drag racing at the hockey school because "We can't let those NHL guys show up us MSU guys."
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      I liked Izzo's about Ron showing up before sunrise at basketball practice to give him support. I think Newton had told the same story at the press conference Monday with the added line of "No one's quite sure how Ron knew when they were practicing that day. Nobody told him and he never asked."

"You're not a nobody, you're somebody."

And drag racing at the hockey school because "We can't let those NHL guys show up us MSU guys."
      Three great examples that showed awareness, tact, and competitive fire. If there was one theme that stood out throughout, it was how he took an interest in each person he worked with or came in contact with. Outside of the locker room, he never related to others like he was the most important person in the room.

Comment

Re: Ben Essensa

Perhaps MSU is on a mini-roll with sons of MSU icers-past.

In the wake of Rod Brind'amour's son's verbal commitment to the program, there is a good possibility that Bob Essensa's son, Ben (a defenseman), is on board as well.

The senior Essensa was an integral part of the mid-80's campaigns that netted (pun intended ) an NCAA trophy and could have easily had another. You may know the story .

Comment

Re: Ben Essensa

Perhaps MSU is on a mini-roll with sons of MSU icers-past.

In the wake of Rod Brind'amour's son's verbal commitment to the program, there is a good possibility that Bob Essensa's son, Ben (a defenseman), is on board as well.

The senior Essensa was an integral part of the mid-80's campaigns that netted (pun intended ) an NCAA trophy and could have easily had another. You may know the story .
          Indeed I do know the story. Could have added two more NC's. 1985-87.

Comment

On the other hand, it's telling just how far behind the rest of the league our recruiting efforts remain. For example, a certain B1G school had 7 commits in the NTDP-U17 tryout camp this spring, and 3 were selected to the 2016-17 roster. No MSU commits were invited.

Go ahead - call me paranoid.

Comment

On the other hand, it's telling just how far behind the rest of the league our recruiting efforts remain. For example, a certain B1G school had 7 commits in the NTDP-U17 tryout camp this spring, and 3 were selected to the 2016-17 roster. No MSU commits were invited.

No, your as normal as anyone else on this thread. But I'm on it, so that's not saying much. That fact concerning the UTDP tryout camp is very telling (and disturbing) isn't it. One can only hope and pray that tCHHCoMSU is following the Mark Dantonio plan of recruiting under the radar kids, and developing them. However, he has had a few years to do that, with the results we saw last season. While we will never again see the likes of Ron Mason at Munn. Is it too much to ask for a Jeff Jackson?

Comment

That doesn't particularly worry me. I am a little disappointed that none of our recruits have been drafted. A few might not be old enough yet, but we used to be loaded with NHL picks and that has been dwindling as the years go by. Nevertheless, not having these things doesn't mean you won't have good teams.

I will retain optimism at least until we play Toronto. I know those games do not mean much, and that a lot can change over the course of a season, but if we can't control that game then It will be a new record for how soon I lose faith in the season. Technically, before it has even started.

I know it is unfair to judge from one game, let alone many players' first at this level but I sort of feel like Little Mac from Mike Tyson's Punch out. After a few knock downs, your endurance bar is very low and no amount t of button mashing can get you back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                  That doesn't particularly worry me. I am a little disappointed that none of our recruits have been drafted. A few might not be old enough yet, but we used to be loaded with NHL picks and that has been dwindling as the years go by. Nevertheless, not having these things doesn't mean you won't have good teams.

I will retain optimism at least until we play Toronto. I know those games do not mean much, and that a lot can change over the course of a season, but if we can't control that game then It will be a new record for how soon I lose faith in the season. Technically, before it has even started.

I know it is unfair to judge from one game, let alone many players' first at this level but I sort of feel like Little Mac from Mike Tyson's Punch out. After a few knock downs, your endurance bar is very low and no amount t of button mashing can get you back up.
                  Of course, no matter what, as long as I live in the area I will go to each game that I can. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    On the other other hand, the consolation "prize" is two committed Millers, one a D-man and the other a forward, are participating in the Ivan Hlinka.

As far as the draft goes, I believe size played a part. I suppose for all the talk, a small to mid-stature defenseman is a tough sell, as far as the early-entry route is concerned, but it costs GM's nothing where tryouts are concerned.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 07-05-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I'm really thinking that MSU will be a Ten/Eleven win team again this year. Three or four Non-Conference wins. And seven (maybe) B10 wins. A record of 11-23 at the best this coming season. That will give tCHHCoMSU a record of around 82-121 and some ties. The worst six year record in MSU history.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but qwasn't the entire season last year basically an Off-season for you guys? Why did you feel the need to create a thread specifically for the Off-season?
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          Correct me if I'm wrong but qwasn't the entire season last year basically an Off-season for you guys? Why did you feel the need to create a thread specifically for the Off-season?
                          Well, since you asked, we should just continue this thread title until tCHHCoMSU leaves his position. Because every season with him is an 'Off Season'.

Comment

Greetings, good summer to you, Fire Anastos.

Thanks

Comment

MSU has partnered with the Detroit Sports Commission to bid for the Frozen Four in 4 upcoming seasons (2019-22) to be held at the new Little Caesars Arena.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...ncaa/88755152/

Comment

Over on the um 2016-17 thread, they are calling Anastos, Our Brady Hoke.

Comment

Working...
                                X