University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

With the potential loss of teams, at least you can play as one Alaska team on the new gaming consoles:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2...hl-17-features
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      UARGV?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer..._Grande_Valley

OK, so it won't be "RGV"; but, you'll need something. Calling it UA will alienate UAA and UA Southeast folks ... unless UAF becoming UA was the plan the whole time.
      Actually, the consolidation of the University of Texas-Pan American and the University of Texas-Brownville is actually a pretty good example of consolidation that became the University of Texas - Rio Grand Valley. Both UTPA and UTB had sports programs. UTPA was Division I and UTB was Division III. It appears that all the sports programs are at the formally UTPA campus in Edinburg, but represent the locations in Brownsville, Edinburg, McAllen, Rio Grand City, and Harlingen as a DIVISION I university in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

I really believe that consolidation will probably look similar. It will be THE University of Alaska. Locations in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, and the surround smaller campuses. I hate to say it, but it is possible that all UA sports will probably end up in Anchorage a la UTRGV in Edinburg. We will probably get a new mascot like UTRGV did, and will be told to move on. No more Seawolves or Nanooks. It will probably be something like "The University of Alaska" Home of the "Aurora Warriors" like University of Hawaii "Rainbow Warriors."

However this is done, they will ask all of Alaska to get behind the NCAA programs in Anchorage. That way the Fairbanks "UA location" can focus soley on PhD programs and research.

Times have changed.
      Last edited by Wolfman; 06-08-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        You're welcome to shop around for a new league if you think there's someone else who'll take you.
        Must of hit a nerve. ..........
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
          Must of hit a nerve. ..........
          I think I speak for many of us, when I say, quit your *****ing. Be glad to have a league, especially one as insolvent as it is that is still willing to have both UA_ and UAA. It's a miracle when you consider how much no one else seems to want the 2 alaska schools. I appreciate having you guys in the league and support finding a way to keep you guys but regardless of how much your travel is worse than any of the other teams in the league, it is still a substantial burden to place on the other member institutions to think they shouldn't be assisted in the costs to travel to Alaska for games when we both know exemptions are going unused because playing road games doesn't offset the cost of playing in Alaska and many in the league struggle to get home NC games.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            Actually, the consolidation of the University of Texas-Pan American and the University of Texas-Brownville is actually a pretty good example of consolidation that became the University of Texas - Rio Grand Valley. Both UTPA and UTB had sports programs. UTPA was Division I and UTB was Division III. It appears that all the sports programs are at the formally UTPA campus in Edinburg, but represent the locations in Brownsville, Edinburg, McAllen, Rio Grand City, and Harlingen as a DIVISION I university in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

I really believe that consolidation will probably look similar. It will be THE University of Alaska. Locations in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, and the surround smaller campuses. I hate to say it, but it is possible that all UA sports will probably end up in Anchorage a la UTRGV in Edinburg. We will probably get a new mascot like UTRGV did, and will be told to move on. No more Seawolves or Nanooks. It will probably be something like "The University of Alaska" Home of the "Aurora Warriors" like University of Hawaii "Rainbow Warriors."

However this is done, they will ask all of Alaska to get behind the NCAA programs in Anchorage. That way the Fairbanks "UA location" can focus soley on PhD programs and research.

Times have changed.
            Big difference in rational in combining a school with DI teams and a school with a DIII teams, versus combining two schools each with DII programs.

Why would you think all sports have to go to one location? If that happens there is little chance that anybody in Fairbanks gets behind NCAA teams located in Anchorage, and the rest of the state couldn’t care less about NCAA teams as it is.

I would guess that UAF administration would gladly give up sports if they had a lock on all Phd programs and research. They have most of that now but do not want to see that shift to Anchorage.
            Over the past few years I have spouted off in here about Fairbanks being relegated to a research instituiton only, and almost everything moved to Anchorage. I still think that will eventually happen, but that will be further down the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
              Why would you think all sports have to go to one location?
              I don't know for sure but I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned it has to do with meeting Title IX requirements or something that all varsity sports have to be at the same campus.
              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
              University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I think I speak for many of us, when I say, quit your *****ing.
                More like ……Don’t remind us of the screw job.

Be glad to have a league, especially one as insolvent as it is that is still willing to have both UA_ and UAA.
                Surrounded by teams who didn’t get picked either and a independent just got into nacho land

It's a miracle when you consider how much no one else seems to want the 2 alaska schools.
                We are so happy to lick your feet

I appreciate having you guys in the league and support finding a way to keep you guys
                First ever kind words.

but regardless of how much your travel is worse than any of the other teams in the league,
                I never ***** its part of living and school in Alaska, I have traveled by jet over 125,000 miles to watch my team on the road.

it is still a substantial burden to place on the other member institutions to think they shouldn't be assisted in the costs to travel to Alaska for games
                Never said couldn’t assist but it’s becoming a one way free ride.

when we both know exemptions are going unused because playing road games doesn't offset the cost of playing in Alaska and many in the league struggle to get home NC games.
                Don’t hold UAA and UA_ responsible for your A D and his staff’s failures that can’t get resourceful and use those golden gifts of free revenue.
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

I think I speak for many of us, when I say, quit your *****ing. Be glad to have a league, especially one as insolvent as it is that is still willing to have both UA_ and UAA. It's a miracle when you consider how much no one else seems to want the 2 alaska schools. I appreciate having you guys in the league and support finding a way to keep you guys but regardless of how much your travel is worse than any of the other teams in the league, it is still a substantial burden to place on the other member institutions to think they shouldn't be assisted in the costs to travel to Alaska for games when we both know exemptions are going unused because playing road games doesn't offset the cost of playing in Alaska and many in the league struggle to get home NC games.
                  Every single effing conference member that has ever had the privilege of visiting either Alaska school has been adequately compensated not only by subsidization of their trips but also by the award of exempt games. You know this. You know the value of that. In many instances over the years two of those exempt games were worth as much as half an effing million dollars (had the recipient utilized them fully) but usually no less than 200,000 dollars. So you ought to ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                    Every single effing conference member that has ever had the privilege of visiting either Alaska school has been adequately compensated not only by subsidization of their trips but also by the award of exempt games. You know this. You know the value of that. In many instances over the years two of those exempt games were worth as much as half an effing million dollars (had the recipient utilized them fully) but usually no less than 200,000 dollars. So you ought to ****.
                    In today's WCHA, $200,000 would equal two sell outs at $25.00 per seat. When Michigan Tech sold out its series with Michigan, the revenue generated was well shy of $200,000 for the weekend, and also meant Tech had to make 2 trips to Ann Arbor. If the Alaska exemptions and stipends are such a no brainier money maker, why didn't the NCHC invite one, or both Alaskas to join?
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                      More like ……Don’t remind us of the screw job.

Surrounded by teams who didn’t get picked either and a independent just got into nacho land

We are so happy to lick your feet

First ever kind words.

I never ***** its part of living and school in Alaska, I have traveled by jet over 125,000 miles to watch my team on the road.

Never said couldn’t assist but it’s becoming a one way free ride.

Don’t hold UAA and UA_ responsible for your A D and his staff’s failures that can’t get resourceful and use those golden gifts of free revenue.
                      Free ride? The stipends have paid about half the expense of Fairbanks and Anchorage trips. Even after the stipend, it still costs twice as much to go to Fairbanks as it does to Mankato, a trip Anchorge still costs about 3 times as much as Ferris State.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        In today's WCHA, $200,000 would equal two sell outs at $25.00 per seat. When Michigan Tech sold out its series with Michigan, the revenue generated was well shy of $200,000 for the weekend, and also meant Tech had to make 2 trips to Ann Arbor. If the Alaska exemptions and stipends are such a no brainier money maker, why didn't the NCHC invite one, or both Alaskas to join?
                        Because just as they told you and everyone else they were more interested in forming a regional league versus trying to maximize revenue in a sport where there is little to no real revenue to be made. It would take a modicum of effort to turn Alaska exemptions into money. It would be worth it if a program is truly interested in making money but nobody really is interested in doing that. They're all (including the Alaska schools) more interested in whining and moaning about budgets and money so that their donors and alumni and long time fans can be leveraged. Nobody in NCAA Div 1 hockey administration is the least bit interested in making money. It's a niche sport.

Comment

In today's WCHA, $200,000 would equal two sell outs at $25.00 per seat. When Michigan Tech sold out its series with Michigan, the revenue generated was well shy of $200,000 for the weekend,
                          Raise your ticket prices…… Make believe you are the Fighting Hawks and demand $50.00

and also meant Tech had to make 2 trips to Ann Arbor.
                          Fire whoever signed that contract….. Because that is not our problem to finance your business failures.

If the Alaska exemptions and stipends are such a no brainier money maker,
                          Back in the day Every Team didn’t succeed to make the Alaska Teams their major fundraising event of the year.

why didn't the NCHC invite one, or both Alaskas to join?
                          Also we didn’t get the invite you ask? We know why. …………

But please explain how and why NMU turned down the offer to join the NCHC when they received the Golden Phone call to me again.

Thank you for your time .
                          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 06-12-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            Raise your ticket prices…… Make believe you are the Fighting Hawks and demand $50.00

Fire whoever signed that contract….. Because that is not our problem to finance your business failures.

Back in the day Every Team didn’t succeed to make the Alaska Teams their major fundraising event of the year.

Also we didn’t get the invite you ask? We know why. …………

But please explain how and why NMU turned down the offer to join the NCHC when they received the Golden Phone call to me again.

Thank you for your time .
                            Uaafanblog just told us all what a great financial bonus the Alaskas could be. I just needed clarification. As for the rest of the league. We're the league of misfit teams. To paraphrase Bill Murray in "Stripes," "We've been kicked aside by every decent league in the world!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              It's not a fundraising event. It's a major loss for teams to go up there. If the schools in the WCHA got a do-over, UAF wouldn't be in the conference.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                It's not a fundraising event. It's a major loss for teams to go up there. If the schools in the WCHA got a do-over, UAF wouldn't be in the conference.
                                If all schools got a do-over I'm sure there would be lots of changes. Where UAF ended up would be a minor consideration.

My understanding is that the current subsidies provided by UAA, UAF, and UAH were not based on any hard data and that actual costs were supposed to be tracked during 2015-16 and adjusted for 2016-17 if necessary.

I believe last season’s subsidies were $15k for both UAA and UAH, and about $21k + three nights hotel for UAF. Obviously the concept is not to reimburse teams the full cost, just an amount that reasonably equalizes the costs of trips to Alaska (and UAH) compared to other lengthy conference trips.

Read comments about the league tacking on hotel charges to UAA and UAH, but not sure if that was implemented. I have not heard anything about any analysis of costs or subsidies being adjusted, but maybe we never would. Curious if the league is more content to just pull a number out of a hat rather than publicize team travel costs by trip.

P.S. You've been around more than long enough to realize that "Alaska Hockey" has nothing to do with Alaska Hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X