PDA

View Full Version : University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

joecct
06-03-2016, 02:21 PM
what price does a barrel of oil have to hit for the Alaska treasury to get back in the black?

Squarebanks
06-03-2016, 03:02 PM
what price does a barrel of oil have to hit for the Alaska treasury to get back in the black?

Two years ago our budget was based on oil being $105.

The Sicatoka
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Two years ago our budget was based on oil being $105.

Oops. North Dakota planned around $70 per bbl.

mmf
06-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Oops. North Dakota planned around $70 per bbl.

North Dakota is not as bad off as Alaska then...but they still may have to reduce their permanent fund dividend payout to each ND resident, and maybe think about instituting a state income tax, or some other broad based tax. ;)

joecct
06-04-2016, 03:59 AM
North Dakota is not as bad off as Alaska then...but they still may have to reduce their permanent fund dividend payout to each ND resident, and maybe think about instituting a state income tax, or some other broad based tax. ;)

Or wait for the inevitable rise of oil back to $70 or so. It currently is around $50/bbl.

But $100? My God!

mmf
06-04-2016, 12:12 PM
In the fall of 2015 the Alaska Department of Revenue's 2016 revenue forecast was based on $50/bbl, $56 for 2017, with the thought that it would rise to $80 over the next ten years. Nobody thought oil would be at $100.

So the question is how fast can you get to a truly balanced budget (immediate budget cuts) vs how quick do you want to deplete your reserves. We could slow down the draw on reserves if the State reduced the PFD entitlement program or implemented some sort of broad based tax (income or sales tax), but that's just crazy talk. What state in their right mind has an income or sales tax. Crazy talk I tell ya.

mmf
06-04-2016, 12:53 PM
More on point to the possible impact to athletics.

UA got additional funding but the legislature also emphasized it’s expectation in intent language. Basically UA was directed to return to the Legislature by year-end with "a specific plan for consolidation." The plan would include, "but would not be limited to," the university restructuring into one administrative unit with one accreditation.

Wolfman
06-04-2016, 05:17 PM
More on point to the possible impact to athletics.

UA got additional funding but the legislature also emphasized it’s expectation in intent language. Basically UA was directed to return to the Legislature by year-end with "a specific plan for consolidation." The plan would include, "but would not be limited to," the university restructuring into one administrative unit with one accreditation.

I am against consolidation. But I don't know what else can be done.

davyd83
06-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Its interesting to see exactly how consolidation would affect athletics. Could they spread the sports around among the venues? Each hockey team now has 18 full scholarships. Could a coach select how he wishes to redistribute 18 full rides amongst the 2 rosters & release the rest? Does one team continue and the other cease to exist? Combining athletic departments is fairly unprecedented in the NCAA and could be quite complicated.

Alaska Hockey
06-04-2016, 10:48 PM

They could do this ......All sports heads up total wins to date . ...Winner takes all

Alaska Hockey
06-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Its interesting to see exactly how consolidation would affect athletics. Could they spread the sports around among the venues? Each hockey team now has 18 full scholarships. Could a coach select how he wishes to redistribute 18 full rides amongst the 2 rosters & release the rest? Does one team continue and the other cease to exist? Combining athletic departments is fairly unprecedented in the NCAA and could be quite complicated.

You know and I know that can't happen as far as the NCAA is concerned.
The Regents will have to pick one or just sh8tcan all sports. I am sure if UA_ got all sports the WCHA A D's would add on more b s "ALASKA FEE"S" for starters......... all air tickets,bus transportation , rooms, meals, cell phone bills, skate sharping, stick tape, and 1/2 doz mouth guards all home games played in the Sullivan, and if anything like the old guard they would slip in 3 nights of paid bar tabs at Darwin's theory. Of course they would remind you to pay only if you want to stay in the league.

Seawolf Fan
06-05-2016, 08:50 PM
They could do this ......All sports heads up total wins to date . ...Winner takes all
Doggone it, UAA would lose the rifle team.

mmf
06-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Doggone it, UAA would lose the rifle team.

…and if you applied the same concept to the classroom, you’d lose all your academic programs. :)

Seawolf Fan
06-05-2016, 11:15 PM
…and if you applied the same concept to the classroom, you’d lose all your academic programs. :)
Doubt that very much however whenever you've lost the battle try to change the subject.
Nice try but you still lose!

The Sicatoka
06-06-2016, 05:23 PM

What are you talking about?
North Dakota would never have a state inco....
North Dakota would never have a state sales ta...
North Dakota would never have prop...

Nevermind.

The Sicatoka
06-06-2016, 05:25 PM
You know and I know that can't happen as far as the NCAA is concerned.
The Regents will have to pick one or just sh8tcan all sports. I am sure if UA_ got all sports the WCHA A D's would add on more b s "ALASKA FEE"S" for starters......... all air tickets,bus transportation , rooms, meals, cell phone bills, skate sharping, stick tape, and 1/2 doz mouth guards all home games played in the Sullivan, and if anything like the old guard they would slip in 3 nights of paid bar tabs at Darwin's theory. Of course they would remind you to pay only if you want to stay in the league.

You forgot the used puck bag with no fewer than two dozen pucks.

Alaska Hockey
06-06-2016, 09:32 PM
You forgot the used puck bag with no fewer than two dozen pucks.

We wish but....... No the D Bags will demand new puck bags and cases of new pucks. What a league....

John J. MacInnes
06-07-2016, 08:10 AM
We wish but....... No the D Bags will demand new puck bags and cases of new pucks. What a league....

You're welcome to shop around for a new league if you think there's someone else who'll take you.

Patman
06-07-2016, 01:21 PM

As a person who spent nine years in college I'm genuinely curious as to how this would go. Are two different math departments kosher? What about all the other academic departments?

I mean, I suppose you can do almost anything... It's the NCAA that will only ratify a single athletics program.

Still, if you're going to have one school then one would have to reconcile standards between the two operations. Are credits at one same as credits at the other? Could you be forced to transfer between locations just to get a certain course out of the way?

Sounds like a nightmare even if it doesn't involve sports

Wolfman
06-07-2016, 04:21 PM
As a person who spent nine years in college I'm genuinely curious as to how this would go. Are two different math departments kosher? What about all the other academic departments?

I mean, I suppose you can do almost anything... It's the NCAA that will only ratify a single athletics program.

Still, if you're going to have one school then one would have to reconcile standards between the two operations. Are credits at one same as credits at the other? Could you be forced to transfer between locations just to get a certain course out of the way?

Sounds like a nightmare even if it doesn't involve sports

I think you are right. And I think even if they got rid of the Seawolf and Nanook moniker and combined it some how to SeaNook or something that represents all Alaska, but house all the sports in Anchorage, it still will be perceived that the Fairbanks campus is alienated.

However, if they house all of the sports teams at UAF and UAF becomes "The University of Alaska - Main Campus" and Anchorage becomes "The University of Alaska - Anchorage Branch Campus" that will make me more upset....there is no wins here at all.