University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    On the UMaine situation, I read in the Bangor times that the system would be combined with USM and the other "branch campuses." But, the Orono campus would maintain the sports programs. Maybe I didn't understand the article. I know UTRGV though has merged as one campus.
    USM is part of the UMaine system. As are all of the UMaine-Hyphen schools. But they are all separate universities.

There was at one time talk of merging Fort Kent, Presque Isle and Machias into a University of Northern Maine. It didn't pan out. There is no talk of making all the campuses into one school.

Comment

Re: University of Alaska Sports in danger of elimination

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      USM is part of the UMaine system. As are all of the UMaine-Hyphen schools. But they are all separate universities.

There was at one time talk of merging Fort Kent, Presque Isle and Machias into a University of Northern Maine. It didn't pan out. There is no talk of making all the campuses into one school.
      https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...its-7-campuses

Comment

I think a re-organization would be possible under a single accreditation to maybe have the " The University of Alaska" which would be headquartered in Fairbanks, and a branches in Anchorage and Juneau. But the Anchorage campus would be "University of Alaska at Anchorage" and University of Alaska at Southeast." They still would be UA as a single accreditation but just be "at Anchorage" or "at Southeast." as far as sports, Hopefully we could still maintain a separate identity for sports.

Comment

That was shut down very aggressively to the point where the seven campuses' existence as separate entities are now codified in state law.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            If Men's Ice Hockey goes to _airbanks, all the other A D'S in the WCHA will vote for _airbanks to pay not only plane tickets and rooms that they now pay, they will pile on about all the fee's they can make up until they can all receive a check from the league for a 100 G's. ...just like the old day's

Or they will just tell _airbanks. ............ Don't leave the porch light on cuz we ain't coming.
            They don't pay for all the plane tickets and rooms. They pay the rooms, plus a set stipend. Last year UAF covered less than half the cost of our trip.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
              That was shut down very aggressively to the point where the seven campuses' existence as separate entities are now codified in state law.
              Maybe Alaska should do that too!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                If cost cutting is the real issue, I doubt the UA leaders would be interested, but one way to save varsity sports at both campuses would be to have one of them join the NAIA. The University of Michigan-Dearborn gets around the one school, one athletic department rules of the NCAA by having their teams play in the NAIA (with the hockey team currently at the club level and playing in the ACHA). With the rumors of a possible return of NAIA hockey in the near future, it could be the best way of preserving both programs at the varsity level (albeit at a much lower level for one of them). The NAIA still allows athletic scholarships. With one in the NCAA and the other in the NAIA maybe Fairbanks and Anchorage could at least still play exhibition games against each other at the beginning of the season. I know many of the satellite campuses in the Ohio state school system (OSU-Lima, OSU-Mansfield, OU-Zanesville, Miami-Hamilton etc.) offer varsity sports and compete in what's called the Ohio Regional Campuses Conference. Alaska could maybe organize something like that. The BCIHL, a five team hockey league with four teams in British Columbia and one in Washington also allows varsity programs (four of the five teams are club programs. One, Trinity Western University, is varsity). So there are options to save both hockey programs if combining the schools is inevitable. Its not ideal, or very likely, but its better than nothing.
                NAIA doesn't allow branch campuses of one university to have separate athletic programs. UM-Dearborn, UM-Flint, and UM-Ann Arbor are separate universities under the U of Michigan system, like the U. of Minnesota-Twin Cities vs Duluth, etc... They have separate accreditation, etc...

If the UA schools stay separate, a drop to NAIA would save some money but the UA schools are already NCAA DII in most sports so the savings wouldn't be like a major NCAA DI athletic program dropping to NCAA D2 or NAIA which would cut 100s of millions. NCAA D2 is generally more expensive than NAIA but comparable. Also it would basically be the same travel costs between their current D2 conference, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and the NAIA's Cascade Collegiate Conference.

Ohio State's campuses are branch campuses that are all overseen and accredited under The Ohio State University. The regional Ohio campuses are more focused on continuing education and associate degree's with small bachelor degree programs, although it's possible to graduate from one of the local campuses, they also funnel students to the main OSU campus after 2-years of gen-eds similar to community colleges

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                  NAIA doesn't allow branch campuses of one university to have separate athletic programs. UM-Dearborn, UM-Flint, and UM-Ann Arbor are separate universities under the U of Michigan system, like the U. of Minnesota-Twin Cities vs Duluth, etc... They have separate accreditation, etc...

If the UA schools stay separate, a drop to NAIA would save some money but the UA schools are already NCAA DII in most sports so the savings wouldn't be like a major NCAA DI athletic program dropping to NCAA D2 or NAIA which would cut 100s of millions. NCAA D2 is generally more expensive than NAIA but comparable. Also it would basically be the same travel costs between their current D2 conference, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and the NAIA's Cascade Collegiate Conference.

Ohio State's campuses are branch campuses that are all overseen and accredited under The Ohio State University. The regional Ohio campuses are more focused on continuing education and associate degree's with small bachelor degree programs, although it's possible to graduate from one of the local campuses, they also funnel students to the main OSU campus after 2-years of gen-eds similar to community colleges
                  as of Aug. 2015, there was contact for interest in NAIA hockey through Lawrence Technological Univ. in Southfield MI.
                  http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml...CLID=210260624
                  not that it would matter much to Alaska.

In Ohio, and far as I know...Shawnee State is the only one of the 14 public universities current in the NAIA. so yeah, all 14 are separate universities.
                  as far as branch and regional campuses, many more tied to each of the 14 public universities... Cincinnati, Kent, Miami, OU, BGSU, Wright State, OSU...all run there own regional campuses. so looks like the Ohio Regional Campus Conference has there own some sort of regional independent sports organization.
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Are you sure they're separate? I always thought they were branch campuses like OSU. I know their diplomas are dated at Ann Arbor, and all three schools operate under the Board of Regents of the University of Michigan. If I'm wrong and they are indeed separate than I take back what I said. Just looking for other options for our UA friends. Can't blame a guy for trying.
                    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                      In Ohio, and far as I know...Shawnee State is the only one of the 14 public universities current in the NAIA. so yeah, all 14 are separate universities. as far as branch and regional campuses, many more tied to each of the 14 public universities... Cincinnati, Kent, Miami, OU, BGSU, Wright State, OSU...all run there own regional campuses. so looks like the Ohio Regional Campus Conference has there own some sort of regional independent sports organization.
                      Ya the Ohio Regional Campus Conference is apparently an independent sports governing body for the regional and branch campuses in the University System of Ohio. I imagine this is necessary because the NCAA doesn't allow branch campuses to have separate athletic departments. There doesn't seem to be a website, so I can't be sure, but according to Wikipedia the ORCC currently includes satellite campuses from Ohio State, Ohio University, Miami University and the University of Akron. Maybe Alaska could come up with a similar arrangement between their various campuses out there if worse comes to worse. Travel would be be tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                        Are you sure they're separate? I always thought they were branch campuses like OSU. I know their diplomas are dated at Ann Arbor, and all three schools operate under the Board of Regents of the University of Michigan. If I'm wrong and they are indeed separate than I take back what I said. Just looking for other options for our UA friends. Can't blame a guy for trying.
                        No worries Buckeye, hope my last RE didn't come across rude or biting. I think at this point, any options to keep the UA hockey programs operating are good- as inconvenient it is to go up and play the UAs, no one wants to see our sport shrink.

I wanted to double check my knowledge and it looks like the two UMich satellite campuses are indeed separate, and currently similar UA org structure with a Board of Regents on top, then System President, then School Chancellors.

https://www.alaska.edu/orgcharts/
                        http://spg.umich.edu/org-charts/753000

Most importantly to the org structure, they also have separate accreditation by the HLC:
                        https://www.hlcommission.org/compone...=ANY&submit=Go!

Comment

No worries Buckeye, hope my last RE didn't come across rude or biting. I think at this point, any options to keep the UA hockey programs operating are good- as inconvenient it is to go up and play the UAs, no one wants to see our sport shrink.
                          Oh no, not at all! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            They don't pay for all the plane tickets and rooms. They pay the rooms, plus a set stipend. Last year UAF covered less than half the cost of our trip.
                            Those cheap ********. ..... How did you let them get away with that.............
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Hey UAA, who backed out of the Kendall?
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Hey UAA, who backed out of the Kendall?
                                I heard it was UMD because they didn't like the Alaska schools style of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X