Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
    I don't see reading any complaints from his family as to the purchase of the scoreboard. Why should anyone else care? I don't understand why people like to tell others how to spend their money including in regards to UNH. The place looks much better now than when I went there.
    He had no family, which is why he gave it all away.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Agreed, sports are a way a university builds pride and loyalty amongst the student population that hopefully carries over to when they become alumni. This, in turn, may generate donations. I don't see why this is even gaining much attention. The donor only made the stipulation that UNH put $100K towards the library. I don't see reading any complaints from his family as to the purchase of the scoreboard. Why should anyone else care? I don't understand why people like to tell others how to spend their money including in regards to UNH. The place looks much better now than when I went there. What people should be outraged at is that the state only supplies the University system with about 6% of their budget. The school is a public institution in name only.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The increased television exposure because of the stadium will put UNH on more high school students' radar.

There's a Facebook thread railing on the U for not using the money to update PCAC so I posted the campus master plan suggesting people search "center for the arts". Haters gonna hate.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        He has two living brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          http://www.unionleader.com/Education....CUGoS8rh.dpuf

...Mullen said Morin decided to give all of his money to his alma mater because he did not have any relatives he wanted to leave it to...

Relatives are probably book despising hockey fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            http://www.unionleader.com/Education....CUGoS8rh.dpuf

...Mullen said Morin decided to give all of his money to his alma mater because he did not have any relatives he wanted to leave it to...

Relatives are probably book despising hockey fans.
            Well played!

Comment

"A facility like Wildcat Stadium is transformative to our campus experience in helping UNH to recruit the best and brightest students,..."

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Best and brightest students? Hardly.
              Are we talking about the best and the brightest or are we talking about kids who would be influenced in their choice of a college based on a football stadium?

Complete load of....
              I went home with a waitress the way I always do
              How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Why should anyone else care? I don't understand why people like to tell others how to spend their money including in regards to UNH.
                Because the university that many of us attended and/or support - perpetually hurting for money as others have pointed out - was handed a windfall that could have been used in so many areas and they squandered $1.5M of it on a videoboard for the football stadium.

And you really don't understand why we would say something about that? Seriously?
                Last edited by E.J. Smith; 09-16-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                  "A facility like Wildcat Stadium is transformative to our campus experience in helping UNH to recruit the best and brightest students,..."

Are we talking about the best and the brightest or are we talking about kids who would be influenced in their choice of a college based on a football stadium?

Complete load of....
                  Millennials all believe that they are the best and brightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Millennials all believe that they are the best and brightest.
                    My concern isn't with what millennials do or don't believe - that's a crazy-@zz losing battle if ever there was one, it's with the self-delusional beliefs and/or outright used car salesman sleazy approach of the UNH Athletic Department as evidenced by that press release they put out.

Comment

OK, for those still paying attention ... a show of hands for those who whined for years/decades about the absence of the now-fabled Borisenok Jumbotron at The Whitt until this past season (Facility Year 21)?

Lots of you, right?

So let me get this straight ... UNH is building a stadium after 80 (!) years of the abysmal NHIAA D-3 facility they've had. They spring for a $1+MM video board while they're at it. What's the big deal? Was the expectation to wait 20+ years 'til Chip Kelly, Corey Graham, Bill Bowes, or Ricky Santos' dad gifts it to them?

Yes, the guy left them a huge gift. It's very clear that he specifically only wanted $100K to be earmarked for the Dimond Library. For a guy who apparently had a lot of time to plan his estate, that seems to be a pretty clear directive, no? And notwithstanding all of that, UNH still decided to allocate $2.5MM of the gift to non-athletics departments/facilities. Don't get me wrong - I don't buy the BS about how the donor turned into a raging football fanatic in the assisted living facility. The decision-makers at UNH were no doubt worrying about the arrival of the Social Justice Warriors Local 03824 brother/sisterhood to descend, tut-tutting about their misplaced priorities (which of course has now happened).

I've taken my share of swings at UNH for a lot of different issues, but this won't be one of them.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                        Because the university that many of us attended and/or support - perpetually hurting for money as others have pointed out - was handed a windfall that could have been used in so many areas and they squandered $1.5M of it on a videoboard for the football stadium.

And you really don't understand why we would say something about that? Seriously?
                        Like I said, people love spending other people's money or telling them how to spend it. If the $1.0M (that is what they are saying it cost, you bounced it up to $1.5M) is so needed by UNH and can't survive without it then they should just shut the doors. And, to answer your question, no I don't understand. They honored the man by stating that it was his gift that bought the scoreboard.
                        I would like to meet the first person that will go to a UNH football/hockey game and not look at the big screens.
                        Last edited by scoreboard; 09-16-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Like I said, people love spending other people's money or telling them how to spend it. If the $1.0M (that is what they are saying it cost, you bounced it up to $1.5M) is so needed by UNH and can't survive without it then they should just shut the doors. And, to answer your question, no I don't understand. They honored the man by stating that it was his gift that bought the scoreboard.
                          I would like to meet the first person that will go to a UNH football/hockey game and not look at the big screens.
                          UNH is not "other people". UNH is not a person, you understand that, right? Whatever money the school has and how they spend it is absolutely open to debate by both the people of NH and particularly the alumni. As for it only being a million dollars, well freaking excuse me, I didn't realize that fell into the pocket change category. By all means drop the next mill on vacation home in Aruba for the football coach, there's more where that came from, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            OK, for those still paying attention ... a show of hands for those who whined for years/decades about the absence of the now-fabled Borisenok Jumbotron at The Whitt until this past season (Facility Year 21)?

Lots of you, right?
                            Guilty as charged on the Borisenok Jumbotron. But, hoping that the football video scoreboard brings that team better luck than the Jumbotron brought the hockey team. Hey, scoreboard by virtue of his screen name must endorse all expenditures on scoreboards, right?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                              UNH is not "other people". UNH is not a person, you understand that, right? Whatever money the school has and how they spend it is absolutely open to debate by both the people of NH and particularly the alumni. As for it only being a million dollars, well freaking excuse me, I didn't realize that fell into the pocket change category. By all means drop the next mill on vacation home in Aruba for the football coach, there's more where that came from, right?
                              OK - is the money UNH chooses to spend (and on what) up for debate - especially by UNH alums? Yes, 100%.

Is the football stadium video board something that will likely serve UNH alums who might be football fans? Yup.

Unless you're in Coach MacDonnell's inner circle, I doubt the Aruba vacation home provides a broad benefit to UNH alums. Or, at least not 'til Football turns into a D-1 powerhouse, and UNH can use it to entertain the illegal boosters we'll need to make that adventure work.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Lots of you, right?

So let me get this straight ... UNH is building a stadium after 80 (!) years of the abysmal NHIAA D-3 facility they've had. They spring for a $1+MM video board while they're at it. What's the big deal? Was the expectation to wait 20+ years 'til Chip Kelly, Corey Graham, Bill Bowes, or Ricky Santos' dad gifts it to them?

Yes, the guy left them a huge gift. It's very clear that he specifically only wanted $100K to be earmarked for the Dimond Library. For a guy who apparently had a lot of time to plan his estate, that seems to be a pretty clear directive, no? And notwithstanding all of that, UNH still decided to allocate $2.5MM of the gift to non-athletics departments/facilities. Don't get me wrong - I don't buy the BS about how the donor turned into a raging football fanatic in the assisted living facility. The decision-makers at UNH were no doubt worrying about the arrival of the Social Justice Warriors Local 03824 brother/sisterhood to descend, tut-tutting about their misplaced priorities (which of course has now happened).

I've taken my share of swings at UNH for a lot of different issues, but this won't be one of them.
                                Chuck, you do seem confused. When they're putting up a Jumbotron on one side of Main St you spend the better part of a year deriding and poking fun at it. But when they're putting up a Videoboard on the other side of Main St it's long overdue and something we should just s t f u about and mind our own business. Odd. I have my own theories but feel free to explain the difference if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
                                X