Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    As you can see from the time of my post, it literally is waking me up in the middle of the night.

I need to learn that serenity prayer:
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_9MglZrhs

Comment

Mark Divver reporting on Twitter that Josh Ciocco new assistant at Brown! Happy for him getting closer to home.

UNH1932 not dissing you. Obviously you are a staunch UNH hockey fan as we all are on this board. I happen to be a staunch UNH football fan also. It would be interesting to know if your students are hockey or football first. I can tell you that I had the pleasure to have a conversation with a very attractive coed at a UNH football game last year and she said in her circle football was numero uno. Unsolicited I might add!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Mark Divver reporting on Twitter that Josh Ciocco new assistant at Brown! Happy for him getting closer to home.

UNH1932 not dissing you. Obviously you are a staunch UNH hockey fan as we all are on this board. I happen to be a staunch UNH football fan also. It would be interesting to know if your students are hockey or football first. I can tell you that I had the pleasure to have a conversation with a very attractive coed at a UNH football game last year and she said in her circle football was numero uno. Unsolicited I might add!
        Look at you e.cat!!! Watching JvR/ World Hockey ESPN
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Look at you e.cat!!! Watching JvR/ World Hockey ESPN
          Ha ha. Thanks for that. Watching JvR now too. Better than O'Reilly
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Congrats to Josh one of my all time faves and the best MBA student I ever taught.

Ecat

I have been a season ticket holder for football forever and was one of 180 season ticketholders for football a few years ago as they did it by accounts but there was probably between 500-600 seats that were season tickets. I am happy the football turnout was excellent this week and it always is for homecoming as well. Boulder Field has sold out for years for the homecoming game. That has never lead to huge numbers of people actually watching the football game. It angered me for awhile that we had a perennial contender and nobody wanted to see them. I would call out the students asking why they did not want to go to football and how many have ever gone or watched a football game. They said if they gave some goodies for free they would go to get free t-shirts etc and then would proceed to Boulder to get hammered (male and female). Many of the dance team and cheerleaders I had in class as well as the athletes on campus all said they could not believe how few students and UNH fans show up for football games. It was amazing how little the student body seemed to care about football. I have promoted football for the past 26 years and I also promote hockey (men and women), basketball (men and women), volleyball, gymnastics, field hockey, lacrosse and club teams and any other sport or activity that students participate in. It is a critical component of student-athletes academic life and I support them all. I had Coach Umile and Coach McDonnell in class last year during playoff runs for football and student turnout for hockey. They show up 5 minutes before class and leave 2 minutes after it starts.

I have asked the students every year how many have attended football (usually somewhere between 3-5 students raise their hands) and how many have been to hockey and it is usually 60-100 students (classes are now generally 80-130 students and multiple sections). I cannot dispute your statement that a coed and their friends like football better, Shane McNeely is one of my favorite students of all time but he would always complain about why students would not show up for football when they were ranked number one in the country and they will show up for hockey when we are not competitive nationally.

I do go to away hockey games rather than attending football if there is a conflict, but I have been to more UNH football games than all but a few that are on this board. I want them to succeed more than you all assume. My family had the greatest number of seats for football for years and I did cutback dramatically on the number over the past few years as I always had trouble giving away the extra tickets other than homecoming.

I supported the new stadium even though it is a large expenditure with little return to the school. If we are going to have a football team and we have been selling a new stadium to recruits for the past 15 years, building was better than status quo or dropping the program like most of our former competitors. I admit it made no economic sense whatsoever and it will be a burden to the school forever as they will never have enough revenue to cover the costs of the program and the new stands. They will have an ADA issue with the former home side that will also be costly and they were unable to put seat backs between the 15 yard lines due to cost overruns. They did not build a training center/weight room/coaching complex etc under the stands as they completely ran out of money. The faculty surely does not see the benefits of these expenditures and are truly astonished about the 1.5 million dollar videoboard.

I hope we get continued turnout and that our season ticket base grows leaps and bounds as we need it. You are helping even if you buy the general admission 95 dollars per year seats for 5 games. The price point for the average fan is 10-15 dollars for football as they dicker at the ticket office about special offers all the time. Only homecoming leads to the ticket office holding the line. Kudos to the ticket office and athletic department for a job well done on the Holy Cross game.

I hope to see some on the board on October 1 at Wildcat Stadium at 3-330 and at the Whit at 4 on Sunday October 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I think that's the hardest part of this whole situation ... in my limited (now fairly long removed) interactions and close up observations of Coach Umile, I always felt he was a good guy, and I wanted the program to succeed to reward all that he'd given to the program and its fans during his tenure.

But I struggle to reconcile the long-standing "good guy" impressions I've had for the man, with the seemingly detached, disengaged and (yes) selfish way he's winding down his career. It has to be hard to walk away from something you've been doing as long as he's been doing, and that's understandable I suppose. But it's not a job for an older man who has had long-standing trust issues with younger coaches doing the legwork for him (at least until very recently). Coach York seems to have figured that out a long time ago, and while he's older that Coach Umile, no one is asking him to step aside, and his program continues to compete at a very high level every year.

You get the feeling that Umile's decisions to bring younger coaches in the mold of Stewart (and then Souza) were almost forced upon him, and not something he had an epiphany about when Tortorella left not that long ago. And unfortunately, this final act of what had to have been self-preservation is looking increasingly too little (way) too late.

-----------------

To answer my own question from a few posts back, I'm going to say UNH wins at least 10 games before New Year's Day. Looking at that schedule, there is really very little reason for them not to hit or exceed that target.

After New Year's Day, I'm afraid they'll be lucky to win half that many games at most.

Here's to hoping I'm right on 2016, and wrong on 2017.
              Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I think that's the hardest part of this whole situation ... in my limited (now fairly long removed) interactions and close up observations of Coach Umile, I always felt he was a good guy, and I wanted the program to succeed to reward all that he'd given to the program and its fans during his tenure.

But I struggle to reconcile the long-standing "good guy" impressions I've had for the man, with the seemingly detached, disengaged and (yes) selfish way he's winding down his career. It has to be hard to walk away from something you've been doing as long as he's been doing, and that's understandable I suppose. But it's not a job for an older man who has had long-standing trust issues with younger coaches doing the legwork for him (at least until very recently). Coach York seems to have figured that out a long time ago, and while he's older that Coach Umile, no one is asking him to step aside, and his program continues to compete at a very high level every year.

You get the feeling that Umile's decisions to bring younger coaches in the mold of Stewart (and then Souza) were almost forced upon him, and not something he had an epiphany about when Tortorella left not that long ago. And unfortunately, this final act of what had to have been self-preservation is looking increasingly too little (way) too late.

-----------------

To answer my own question from a few posts back, I'm going to say UNH wins at least 10 games before New Year's Day. Looking at that schedule, there is really very little reason for them not to hit or exceed that target.

After New Year's Day, I'm afraid they'll be lucky to win half that many games at most.

Here's to hoping I'm right on 2016, and wrong on 2017.
              The younger guys were absolutely forced on him! The 3 year contract hung out there with BS35+4? procrastinating on it because he knew what was happening across the street. With nothing happening and all if it just lingering, the other HC at PC walked across the street to more or less force the issue. When he didn't like what BS... Didn't tell him what he wanted to hear, he took his Rolodex down the road. He let the program know who they had coming in, their advisers, phone numbers and the package they were coming in on.(one recruit actually got a better deal than he'd agreed to because of dysfunctional detachment). So at that time BS35... Now had to make a decision about the extension. If BS had done his job 6-7 years ago the program would still be competing now or at least this slump would be history or might not have happened at all! MS can thank or maybe not thank SB for making the sackless AD do his job.
              I haven't written since late May and I thought my perspective had changed, but I am a weak and flawed being. 3 more things and I'm off. 1 It's great to see Josh back in the east, in the same town as his mentor. SB' coaching tree grows Brian McCloskey, J T, Josh, but unfortanetley Patches left the game. The 2007 Freshman class will go down n history as the best recruiting class ever to come to UNH, all cylinders were still firing, also look at 2013 D Corp, probably use those guys, huh? The final thing, when discussing the Breen to Maine, Hillis to Borek, he laughed. He said no Hillis to PC, it's very much a team effort at PC. Every member of the coaching staff is involved with every recruit a lot! Then he stated that's the problem up there, everyone wants to put the blame on 1 guy, it's clearly a systemic problem. Go Friars! I'll be back to the big blue when the current regime is gone. Oh and Coach Umile is an incredible guy, but what's that saying about power and corrupting...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                And here is the problem with Souza's to-date philosophy. You can find the type of guys theyve committed and round out your roster in the years to come (you'll probably even do better in this regard as you're not simply hoping on, but can actually see, development). Meanwhile, the vast majority of the high end kids will be long gone. That leaves UNH supplementing these existing recruiting classes with more of the same, praying on development and icing teams reminiscent of late 80s...
                I would say Lowell and St.Lawrence are two succesful programs that avoid early commitments. Lowell has managed to get the kids, Hellenbuyck, Chapie, etc., who fell through the cracks in the NAHL. However, it is a very difficult needle to thread, and not a model I would like to follow. If you look at also-ran teams (Quinnipiac, Union, Providence) as they progress they typically take advantage of the higher regard in the hockey community and make more early commitments.

Speaking of recruiting profiles, I will be interested in seeing Ciocco's move to Brown. He knew the prep scene from USHR, then moved out west to a program that is very hard to recruit for. He got some older Western Canadian kids, so has those connections. He then branched out to Europe. Now, at Brown, I think he would be in a position to get the younger commits (they just committed a 00), and more New England based. Depending on how that works, those connections would all be of interest two years down the road.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-14-2016, 07:47 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  He's gotta make the cut for the top 75 in that top 100 collegiate hockey players, don't'cha think? If not, I concede that you will win the over/under of 5 UNH players.
                  Considering that he's only one of four UNH players to reach the the the 200 point plateau, that he captained the first UNH team to win the HE tournament and played in two FF, I'd say he is easily top five. Krog and Ralph Cox are one, two. I'll leave it up to others to decided among Hislop, Clark, Boguniecki and others.

Comment

[QUOTE=bomberhockey;6357889]
                    "The 2007 Freshman class will go down in history as the best recruiting class ever to come to UNH"
                    "The Scott Borek coaching tree."

You serious with these quotes? Seem to recall some boffo recruiting classes bad in the 70's and the 90's. As for a coaching tree, perhaps recruiter tree would be a better term, although still unproven. I am sure SB has taught them all the tricks of a top notch recruiter, like emailing recruits ineligible to receive them and recommending deferring players who then go to other schools. The fact is that Borek recruited players never made a FF, McCloskey teams did four times and, I might add, Bob Norton teams went twice with far fewer assets as his disposal.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Greg Ambrose;6357995]
                      Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                      "The 2007 Freshman class will go down in history as the best recruiting class ever to come to UNH"

You serious with these quotes? Seem to recall some boffo recruiting classes bad in the 70's and the 90's. As for a coaching tree, perhaps recruiter tree would be a better term, although still unproven. I am sure SB has taught them all the tricks of a top notch recruiter, like emailing recruits ineligible to receive them and recommending deferring players who then go to other schools. The fact is that Borek recruited players never made a FF, McCloskey teams did four times and, I might add, Bob Norton teams went twice with far fewer assets as his disposal.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Greg Ambrose;6357995]
                        Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post

Sorry reply was omitted?
                        Dead serious! It's only my opinion but please tell me where I'm mistaken? Another opinion if BS35+4 had committed to SB as HC, Josh Ciocco would be here. Also imo there wouldn't have been this slide, some or all the guys in Providence, UConn and elsewhere would have stayed. They might have even brought a big time Finn or Ontario psa.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Considering that he's only one of four UNH players to reach the the the 200 point plateau, that he captained the first UNH team to win the HE tournament and played in two FF, I'd say he is easily top five. Krog and Ralph Cox are one, two. I'll leave it up to others to decided among Hislop, Clark, Boguniecki and others.
                          If Krog and Cox are one, two, perhaps UNH will not place any more players in the top 100, as Krog was No. 95 and Conklin was No. 91.

Seems that Mowers also should be in contention, along with maybe Cliff Cox, Brickley, Amodeo, and Sean Collins.

Comment

• [QUOTE=bomberhockey;6358057]
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post

Sorry reply was omitted?
                            Dead serious! It's only my opinion but please tell me where I'm mistaken? Another opinion if BS35+4 had committed to SB as HC, Josh Ciocco would be here. Also imo there wouldn't have been this slide, some or all the guys in Providence, UConn and elsewhere would have stayed. They might have even brought a big time Finn or Ontario psa.
                            Maybe Ciocco arrives in 2018...just in time!!!

Comment

Soooo what do we think about the possibility of adding Holy Cross to HE season after next when ND is gone?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Soooo what do we think about the possibility of adding Holy Cross to HE season after next when ND is gone?
                                They were almost always better than UConn in the AHA. Could play HEA games at the DCU. But, I would miss the Bentley - Holy AHA rivalry.

Edit: Leading up to the last time that we played Holy Cross, there was a hilarious reply to a post on the UNH thread at the time that asked "Who is Holy Cross, and what kind of team will they likely bring to the ice," or something like that. Try as I might, I have not been able to find this UNH thread and series of posts in the archives. Ideas, anyone?
                                Last edited by Snively65; 09-15-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X