Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Have been kind of putting things together and people speak of a decade ago for when the 'decline' started. It would be interesting to see what ELSE happened during that time; players have so many options of where to play now. And they look for teams/programs that are going to help them get their goals and dreams met. (among other things, like $$$, look out AHA)... I still believe UNH is one of these programs. I'm hoping for a team that is competitive, one that has more on nights than off, obvious work ethic. Bring it on! (how about those pats last night...)
    I really don't think the number of available options is all that different since the UNH heyday at the turn of the century. The biggest differences that I see are that (1) Providence and Lowell have displaced UMaine and UNH, and (2) the ECAC has been more competitive in recent years than they were back then. But that's all about a shifting of the wealth - not an increase in the options for the players to pursue (or to be pursued by). Some programs are doing better, others are doing worse, and many are surprisingly in the same place now as they were back then.

Which one of Newton's laws of motion said that an object at rest tends to stay at rest, etc.? That's where UNH had been for a lot of seasons in the late oughts/early teens. But here we are, falling again even further ... and we just can't seem to get up. I guess that makes Coach Souza a MedicAlert bracelet of sorts for the program.

Does anyone want to predict how many wins UNH compiles in '16 before the real grind begins in '17?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      I dunno what game UNH1932 was at but the visitors side was far from "virtually empty" and had many more than 1000 fans. The stadium had many more than 7000 fans right down to the wire of a hard fought win against a good Holy Cross team. All thanks to your efforts Chuck. I must have missed something because I didn't realize you gave up your day job to promote UNH football but kudos to you!

This fight about whether football or hockey is numero uno at UNH is laughable. Who cares?
      ecat, i do not care about numero uno either. I just stated that there were a lot more season tickets sold for hockey and there will be a huge turnout for homecoming as there is every year. Nicole from ticketing changed the dynamics of making money on homecoming over the past few years as all needed a ticket and she jacked up the prices. They also sold a number of parking passes in advance to generate revenues. It is true that people show up for the drunk fest and Parents weekend and homecoming might be a bad mix (or maybe good?). I asked my sister who sat in our long time family seats in section C on the visitors side and she said there was no more than 600 on that side and many of them were Holy Cross fans. From my seat I thought it was 20% full and you are younger and smarter than I. I did ask the kids in class this morning and 16 went to the game and I asked how many were sitting on the visitor's side and they all said it was under 500. I do not care as there are ticket sales and there seems to be some momentum to get more people to games. I do worry about late in season games as they are not as well attended. Only Ricky Santos could get 6000-8000 to actually watch the games. I sit in 105 H1 at football and 104 M 8 at the Whit. I hope to see you at the games. I hope to meet you soon and if you are going to away games for hockey, I hope we can chat sometime on the road.

Chuck, the will call ticket goes for any hockey game at the Whit too and one for the wife and/or kids too. Thanks for being such a big fan and I hope they do not let you down this year.

If Watcher's father is still without his season tickets, I would like to help him get to the games. Please let me know if he wants tickets to any games as we need our longtime fans to stay on the ship.

Comment

Nick

I hope the warden takes away your internet privileges. Thanks for the chuckle and don't go back into your mother's basement when you are paroled. I will be rooting against your crappy overrated team again this year, but I hope you have a great year cheering on your Eagles. One less ring if Johnny G came to UNH. Please root for Umile to win a championship before he retires when your team is out of the tournament. Best to you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          If Watcher's father is still without his season tickets, I would like to help him get to the games. Please let me know if he wants tickets to any games as we need our longtime fans to stay on the ship.
          Thanks for the offer, but I think you have me confused with another poster. The only game I've ever gotten my father to come to was when that thug Ben Guite nearly paralyzed Mark Mowers along the boards right in front of us.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Thanks for the offer, but I think you have me confused with another poster. The only game I've ever gotten my father to come to was when that thug Ben Guite nearly paralyzed Mark Mowers along the boards right in front of us.
            Sorry watcher I thought Sonar was your dad via info from another poster. Thanks for all of your great posts through the years. Mr K decommitted from Providence was already at UNH last spring. I hope he reconsiders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I really don't think the number of available options is all that different since the UNH heyday at the turn of the century. The biggest differences that I see are that (1) Providence and Lowell have displaced UMaine and UNH, and (2) the ECAC has been more competitive in recent years than they were back then. But that's all about a shifting of the wealth - not an increase in the options for the players to pursue (or to be pursued by). Some programs are doing better, others are doing worse, and many are surprisingly in the same place now as they were back then.

Which one of Newton's laws of motion said that an object at rest tends to stay at rest, etc.? That's where UNH had been for a lot of seasons in the late oughts/early teens. But here we are, falling again even further ... and we just can't seem to get up. I guess that makes Coach Souza a MedicAlert bracelet of sorts for the program.

Does anyone want to predict how many wins UNH compiles in '16 before the real grind begins in '17?
              I'll take a stab at their 2016 record. 9-8-1.

Comment

Mr K decommitted from Providence was already at UNH last spring. I hope he reconsiders.
                Hmmm.
                *******http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/v2/pho...57.jpg********

Mr. K, player #28 for Chilliwack, 2nd in scoring for BCJHL as 19 year old

*******http://webpapersadmin.bpnewmedia.com...hi.jpg********

Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-12-2016, 07:30 PM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Hmmm.
                  *******http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/v2/pho...57.jpg********

*******http://webpapersadmin.bpnewmedia.com...hi.jpg********

Not looking good for UNH...

http://www.chilliwackchiefs.net/player?playerId=601&season=29

And Cameron to Dartmouth...
                  Last edited by Dan; 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Not looking good for UNH...

http://www.chilliwackchiefs.net/play...=601&season=29

And Cameron to Dartmouth...
                    Oh well, another set of Ks, no reflection on the view of UNH in the hockey world. Probably just wanted to be closer to home. Don't worry about the mounting k totals. Remember, Willie Mays started his career 1- for 40 or some such mark. Souza is a great recruiter who has his eye on some new targets. And if those don't come through, there are lots of kids from your old neighbourhood in the GBL who you can plug in.

UNH has none of the 2000s. And the joke will ultimately be on these programs getting all the talented recruits, because they can't play them all. Some players who committed to good teams will decommit or transfer much like Kawaguchi, Cam Lee, Liam Folkes, Jacob Slaker, Vas Kolias, Brandon Duhaimie, Mike O'Leary, Ty Madden, Brinson Pischarik, Brandon Fortunato and Robbie Baillargeon. And when they do decommit or transfer, we will pounce. Wait, .....

So, I forgot my point on that, but I will not lose sight of the most important thing for the program - not the direction going forward, but a look back at all the positives Coach Umile has done in the past. There are lots of available seats to come out and see Bentley while also seeing the legend and thanking him. Like getting to see Willie Mays with the Mets, come out and enjoy your last chance to see Mays hit .211. I personally want to thank Marty Scarano for this well planned process, so that we are not suddenly left without Coach Umile or the opportunity to thank him enough before he calls it quits.

There, better?
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-13-2016, 09:33 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

The games can't begin soon enough. Gonna devour us some cupcakes, while papering over the cracks (chasms?).

Sounds like we are getting it handed to us out on the recruiting front. I know 'Watcher really wants to be wrong about his predictions of doom & gloom on how the Coach Umile endgame was arranged, and its impact on the UNH program long-term ... but everything he'd predicted over a year ago is (sadly) coming to pass so far.

It's not second-guessing when you predict it up front before it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        I know 'Watcher really wants to be wrong about his predictions of doom & gloom on how the Coach Umile endgame was arranged, and its impact on the UNH program long-term ....
                        As you can see from the time of my post, it literally is waking me up in the middle of the night.

I need to learn that serenity prayer:
                        God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-13-2016, 09:50 AM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

I will be rooting against your crappy overrated team again this year
                          Please root for Umile to win a championship before he retires when your team is out of the tournament.
                          Oh ok.

(Actually I will root for Umile because I happen to like the guy)

You're pretty bossy. But I do find some humor in seeing you hand out advice and directions to others. It is admirable as you seem to admire Umile and want to emulate his giving to others ... after all, he is always in a giving mood to opposing teams in the NCAAs.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            (Actually I will root for Umile because I happen to like the guy)
                            I think that's the hardest part of this whole situation ... in my limited (now fairly long removed) interactions and close up observations of Coach Umile, I always felt he was a good guy, and I wanted the program to succeed to reward all that he'd given to the program and its fans during his tenure.

But I struggle to reconcile the long-standing "good guy" impressions I've had for the man, with the seemingly detached, disengaged and (yes) selfish way he's winding down his career. It has to be hard to walk away from something you've been doing as long as he's been doing, and that's understandable I suppose. But it's not a job for an older man who has had long-standing trust issues with younger coaches doing the legwork for him (at least until very recently). Coach York seems to have figured that out a long time ago, and while he's older that Coach Umile, no one is asking him to step aside, and his program continues to compete at a very high level every year.

You get the feeling that Umile's decisions to bring younger coaches in the mold of Stewart (and then Souza) were almost forced upon him, and not something he had an epiphany about when Tortorella left not that long ago. And unfortunately, this final act of what had to have been self-preservation is looking increasingly too little (way) too late.

-----------------

To answer my own question from a few posts back, I'm going to say UNH wins at least 10 games before New Year's Day. Looking at that schedule, there is really very little reason for them not to hit or exceed that target.

After New Year's Day, I'm afraid they'll be lucky to win half that many games at most.

Here's to hoping I'm right on 2016, and wrong on 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              As you can see from the time of my post, it literally is waking me up in the middle of the night.

I need to learn that serenity prayer:
                              God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
                              You think you've got it bad ..... some new poster at 7:17 pm thought I was your Dad.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

UNH has none of the 2000s...
                                And here is the problem with Souza's to-date philosophy. You can find the type of guys theyve committed and round out your roster in the years to come (you'll probably even do better in this regard as you're not simply hoping on, but can actually see, development). Meanwhile, the vast majority of the high end kids will be long gone. That leaves UNH supplementing these existing recruiting classes with more of the same, praying on development and icing teams reminiscent of late 80s...

Maybe I'm just a hammer head - but, yeah, I expect UNH to be competitive every year. No, 1932, Im not demanding annual title runs, but I don't think competitive for HE home ice/titles, NCAA tournament trips and a recruit or two is too much to ask.

This coming season will mark the sixth since the long run of UNH success came to an end. Since then, The Wildcats have landed one-home ice playoff series, one trip to the national tournament and a record of 87-88-19. We can all see how far recruiting has fallen whether we wish to admit it or not. But, sure it's all sunshine and we're lucky to even have a program to follow...
                                Last edited by Dan; 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X