UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Sadly, I have some experience in this area, being a Wolverhampton supporter. And actually you wouldn't get any pushback on that in 95% of the scenarios, so long as you didn't malign the supporters or their communities. Those sides are where they are on merit alone, and there are a lot of traditional clubs with histories of first tier success (including Wolves, Villa, Forest, Derby County and many others) who are languishing now in the Championship (with a few like Bolton, Coventry and Sheffield United even residing in the 3rd tier), and the supporters know it. They themselves would probably refer to their club's underachieving players and/or manager with a word that rhymes with anchor.

So, as I was making my decision to follow Man U (during a consulting gig in London in the mid-90's, I guess it was, now that I think about it), a buddy of mine was hitching his wagon to Leeds. Needless to say, it's been a relatively bouncy ride twixt the Premiership, Championship, L1 and back up. Not was he was hoping for. Would only wish that upon the biggest of *ankers.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      So, as I was making my decision to follow Man U (during a consulting gig in London in the mid-90's, I guess it was, now that I think about it), a buddy of mine was hitching his wagon to Leeds. Needless to say, it's been a relatively bouncy ride twixt the Premiership, Championship, L1 and back up. Not was he was hoping for. Would only wish that upon the biggest of *ankers.
      I think many folks on the other side of the pond would classify Leeds as fully deserving of their fate. The club and its supporters are not terribly popular with any of their rivals (or not-so-rivals, for that matter). You've probably seen "The Dam*ed United", and that's about Leeds - not ManU. Leeds were largely seen as thugs back in their '70's heyday, and as they say, karma can be a be-yotch.

My glory-hunting club amongst the PL elite has always been ManU - especially the Eric Cantona days not far removed from the time you started following them. WAY too many overlaps today, 'dc. Never saw that coming.

Now I'll leave you and EJ to duke it out on the more relevant stuff ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I think many folks on the other side of the pond would classify Leeds as fully deserving of their fate. The club and its supporters are not terribly popular with any of their rivals (or not-so-rivals, for that matter). You've probably seen "The Dam*ed United", and that's about Leeds - not ManU. Leeds were largely seen as thugs back in their '70's heyday, and as they say, karma can be a be-yotch.

My glory-hunting club amongst the PL elite has always been ManU - especially the Eric Cantona days not far removed from the time you started following them. WAY too many overlaps today, 'dc. Never saw that coming.

Now I'll leave you and EJ to duke it out on the more relevant stuff ...
        Nah, I'm done with that. Life is too short.

Regarding MU, yep, you're right, glory-hunting is about right. But once I pick a team, I run with them (you hear me, Dan Snyder??). I picked them at the urging of my Brit clients. And aside from Boutros Boutros Ghali, has there ever been a cooler name than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer??

And what's wrong with a little Kung Fu, Chuck? 😄

And now, back to hockey (with maybe just a little football thrown in, seeing as we have our hands full with a new QB facing a 25th-ranked SDSU team tonight)
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

And what's wrong with a little Kung Fu, Chuck? ��
          Even the greatest players are allowed a moment of temporary insanity. See Zidane, 2006 World Cup Finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            (Totally off topic, but Stoke is the biggest eyesore left on campus, a "one of these things is not like the others" building that really needs to go in the worst way ... I'd love to see them implode that mess, charge admission, and start from scratch with anything other than a high rise residency tower.)
            Ah, but the memories...
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Of course, Stoke was an eyesore the day they opened it. It would, however, look right at home in Amherst.
              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                Nah, I'm done with that. Life is too short.

Regarding MU, yep, you're right, glory-hunting is about right. But once I pick a team, I run with them (you hear me, Dan Snyder??). I picked them at the urging of my Brit clients. And aside from Boutros Boutros Ghali, has there ever been a cooler name than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer??

And what's wrong with a little Kung Fu, Chuck? 😄

And now, back to hockey (with maybe just a little football thrown in, seeing as we have our hands full with a new QB facing a 25th-ranked SDSU team tonight)
                I'm just hoping we manage to put some points up on the board! Look forward to the Holy Cross game next Saturday and getting a look at the new digs, video board and all
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  I'm just hoping we manage to put some points up on the board! Look forward to the Holy Cross game next Saturday and getting a look at the new digs, video board and all
                  Football, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Football, right?

Yes football. UNH is at SDSU, an FBS team, tonight. Coach Mac said earlier in the week that this will be a tough test. Personally, I'm looking forward to the football season in the new Wildcat Stadium.

Regarding the video board and the $4million gift from the long time Library employee, I agree the optics look bad but the video board was a done deal anyway without that money if I have the timeline correct.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Yes football.
                      Ok, just checking, as we played Holy Cross in hockey back in December 2008, the game in which our Mike Sislo found the net 4 times in the Cats 9-4 rout. Back in the day when AHA teams were pushovers, eh?
                      Last edited by Snively65; 09-03-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Ok, just checking, as we played Holy Cross in hockey back in December 2008, the game in which our Mike Sislo found the net 4 times in the Cats 9-4 rout. Back in the day when AHA teams were pushovers, eh?
                        Ya. Not too many pushovers anymore. I seem to recall The Cross beating Minny several years back in a Regional!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Ya. Not too many pushovers anymore. I seem to recall The Cross beating Minny several years back in a Regional!
                          And, we got umileated 5-1 by the Brown Bears at Lake Whitt; but, maybe this season we will get revenge in their barn?

Comment

I’m getting better at it but I still have a hard time letting things go. It’s my cross to bear in life, among many others.

Do you not read well? I pretty clearly stated the known difference between the leagues, but your analogs are beyond hilarious. There are myriad examples of the relative competiveness of the two levels, so your hyperbole is simply silly. And your lack of understanding as to the origins of FBS and FCS were glaring.
                            Q: Are the FBS and FCS equivalent levels of football?
                            A: Yes (If this is your answer, you’re stating you know nothing about football.)
                            A: No (The correct answer. Which means one of them is superior to the other. Meaning one is the first division and the other, by definition, is the second division. As much as I’d like to take credit for that mindboggling logic, I can’t, those are known as ordinal numbers and they’ve more or less been accepted as custom at this point.)

Regarding the EPL, CL, etc. Being a Man U supporter since the early 90's, I'm quite clear on the concept. I was referring to League 2.
                            You wrote, “Perhaps funnier would be watching you address a few pub-goers in England and refer to their CL side as a bunch of second-division riff-raff.” Of course that refers to League 2. I don’t know how I missed that the first time.

How old am I? I'm old enough to recognize a keyboard tough-talker when I see one, especially those blissfully unencumbered by facts. Had you addressed the most critical point in my post (thanks, Chuck, for noticing), I'd have been more impressed.
                            Not a tough guy, just fairly certain UNH football players aren’t the cartoon characters of your imagination, and also aware that by that age most athletes have an honest understanding of where they fit in the grand scheme of things.
                            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

On a hockey note:

http://pucksandrecreation.com/100-gr...layers-part-1/
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Somehow I just knew there would be fallout on the football front ... eventually.

Took almost 5 days. Kudos to EJ for a remarkable sense of restraint there.

If the football haters among us can find the silver lining in the completed stadium ... at least now we won't hear any more of those godawfully pandering and painfully silly comments from BS35+4 about those cutting edge light thingies they put up a year early. You would think he frickin' discovered fire or invented the wheel, ferchrissakes. Our very own Prometheus.

Now go fix hockey, genius. I've given you a list. Chop chop, get moving, pronto. You'll thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                                X