Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    RPI blog Without a Peer post about UNH http://www.withoutapeer.com/2016/07/...hampshire.html.

I have no connection with WaP except as a reader.
    Adam Clark was the starter in fall 2014 and it was Tirone that came in early and played all but a few games since then. It will be interesting to see who are featured netminder will be this fall. I did not ask if Clark got a waiver as he dressed for all of the games in the first half of the season. I remember Speellman got a waiver when a UML goon ruined his promising career about 35-40% into the season. He was never the same after that brutal hit from behind that shattered his arm. If anyone knows that Clark got a waiver, please post. He is already 23 years old and will be 25 by the time his fifth season would start.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Most likely a very fair assessment; there's a lot that needs to come together. By the time this game comes around we will have a fairly good idea about what's what. I hope the coaches do not hesitate to take some risks with the lines; I mean, why not? This incoming class he speaks of...coupled with potential offensive threats in McNick, Eiserman, and Nazarian, (and lest I forget TyK) we could put it in the net. And D wise we will continue to work on that while his leaning on AC in net made for interesting reading.

I suspect this view of the 'Cats is how most must see them. I won't play the 'over / under' game as I'd be pathetic at it but I will venture we will do 'better than expected'. How's that for over/under?!?
      And, Vela! Ok, don't play the over/under game with me and Chuck, but you will be missing out at the over/under awards ceremony at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        And, Vela! Ok, don't play the over/under game with me and Chuck, but you will be missing out at the over/under awards ceremony at the end of the season.
        D'oh!! Of course Vela!! See why I'm a lousy game player, haha...As per Adam Clark and a waiver I do think he did this but don't quote me on that...And since the Big Ten dropped the age issue the sky's the limit...Remember Mike R is coming aboard year after this; where does that place Adam/DT? Seniors? Or will DT be gone already (he lost a year or do I have that wrong argh). It's nice to be chatting players btw although I'm not rushing the summer...
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          D'oh!! Of course Vela!! See why I'm a lousy game player, haha...As per Adam Clark and a waiver I do think he did this but don't quote me on that...And since the Big Ten dropped the age issue the sky's the limit...Remember Mike R is coming aboard year after this; where does that place Adam/DT? Seniors? Or will DT be gone already (he lost a year or do I have that wrong argh). It's nice to be chatting players btw although I'm not rushing the summer...
          I believe that DT has this year and next, as his first spring semester in 2015 counted for his first full year. Also, ironically, I think that you correct that AC has two more years after this year with his waiver for playing in only two games last season because of injury. So, next year will be very strange with three first string goalies on the team, unless something shakes out after this year (maybe either DT or AC will have an amazing year and go pro?).
          Last edited by Snively65; 07-07-2016, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I believe that DT has this year and next, as his first spring semester in 2015 counted for his first full year. Also, ironically, I think that you correct that AC has two more years after this year with his waiver for playing in only two games last season because of injury. So, next year will be very strange with three first string goalies on the team, unless something shakes out after this year (maybe either DT or AC will have an amazing year and go pro?).
            He dressed for all of the games before his surgery over winter break. I will ask him if he has a waiver for last year. He does not turn 26 until the spring semester of what would be his 5th year so it might work out.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
              Adam Clark was the starter in fall 2014 and it was Tirone that came in early and played all but a few games since then.
              Bah. I knew I was going to screw that up. Thanks for the clarification.
              Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

My clear recollection is Clark received a waiver (medical "redshirt" if you will), and will get a do-over for his second year of eligibility this season. Tirone is definitely entering his 3rd season. I remember this specifically, because when Clark first matriculated, Tirone was not supposed to arrive until the following season, and therefore was a full season behind Clark. He "pulled even" when he arrived at UNH in midseason year before last (2014/2015) due to the late preseason situation with CDS unexpected early departure from the program.

When Clark got his medical redshirt last season, that completed the unlikely goalie scenario where Tirone - who was supposed to be a full year behind Clark - will now likely end his UNH career a full year ahead of him instead.

And meaning Clark (who started his UNH career as the first string goalie for the first half of his frosh season) will almost certainly end it season after next as the 3rd string "emergency" goalie behind Tirone and Robinson.

Finally ... it' disappointing that (at least per 1932) some of the UNH players apparently hold some of us fans in such low regard. If any of those guys think last season was deserving of ANY level of praise, then I think the problem in the program is a little deeper than even the most cynical of us may have already believed. And it frankly only reinforces the opinions of guys like 'Watcher who have basically called for a "clean sweep" approach to the top of the program - not the "halfway" approach that's currently entering Year 2 of a 3 yr. transition.

No more excuses. No more whining. Like bakck20 said a few posts ago ... just show me. Show us. Show us all. We've been here for a lot longer than any of the players, and yes, we've seen what it looks like when it's working correctly. But if last season is going to be the template for what the next few seasons are going to look like ... then it's a shame these players will never really get to experience what it feels like to have a partisan UNH crowd filling the house and 100% behind you. But even if the current state of the program isn't all your fault, you're still gonna have to earn it. Otherwise, hey, no big deal, enjoy the ECHL, your loss - we'll wait for the next great UNH teams.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

We were expecting this (3 first string goalies) this season..some here predicted Clarky would look elsewhere. I'm very curious how this season shakes out GK wise...just be healthy and stop loads of shots please and thank you...along with having a decent D corp in front?!? Reviewing probable D pairs:

Cleland-Marks (Maller if healthy?)
                  Wyse-Dawson
                  Boyd-Chanter
                  Nonis-

Am I missing someone? And personally I'm excited about the incoming class; if I WERE playing 'over/under' I'd put the 'Cats at more wins (15) to be honest.

Comment

And personally I'm excited about the incoming class; if I WERE playing 'over/under' I'd put the 'Cats at more wins (15) to be honest.
                    Until UNH has enough puck moving defensemen to cover the first two pairings, I think that's the basic problem.

The good news is it might only take two such players (one per pairing). But right now we have (maybe?) one.

If they can develop things favorably in this area, I think 15 wins are within reach - especially with the schedule.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Until UNH has enough puck moving defensemen to cover the first two pairings, I think that's the basic problem.

The good news is it might only take two such players (one per pairing). But right now we have (maybe?) one.

If they can develop things favorably in this area, I think 15 wins are within reach - especially with the schedule.

Just my opinion.
                      Would def agree this component (able skating D ) would be a necessary component we sorely need ...which guys like TvR and Brett Pesh provided. Am hoping Wyse/Marks/Dawson (and a healthy Dylan M) can grow into! Remaining hopeful!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Would def agree this component (able skating D ) would be a necessary component we sorely need ...which guys like TvR and Brett Pesh provided. Am hoping Wyse/Marks/Dawson (and a healthy Dylan M) can grow into! Remaining hopeful!
                        Unfortunately, I do not think that moving the puck well is something that D-men can grow into as easily as better positioning, backchecking, clearing the puck, and the like. Maybe Wyse can fill this role, maybe not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Unfortunately, I do not think that moving the puck well is something that D-men can grow into as easily as better positioning, backchecking, clearing the puck, and the like. Maybe Wyse can fill this role, maybe not?
                          Well they either have it or they don't I get that...maybe Wyse does!! Should be pre requisite either you can do it or not...Either way the D is the key...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            My clear recollection is Clark received a waiver (medical "redshirt" if you will), and will get a do-over for his second year of eligibility this season. Tirone is definitely entering his 3rd season. I remember this specifically, because when Clark first matriculated, Tirone was not supposed to arrive until the following season, and therefore was a full season behind Clark. He "pulled even" when he arrived at UNH in midseason year before last (2014/2015) due to the late preseason situation with CDS unexpected early departure from the program.

When Clark got his medical redshirt last season, that completed the unlikely goalie scenario where Tirone - who was supposed to be a full year behind Clark - will now likely end his UNH career a full year ahead of him instead.

And meaning Clark (who started his UNH career as the first string goalie for the first half of his frosh season) will almost certainly end it season after next as the 3rd string "emergency" goalie behind Tirone and Robinson.

Finally ... it' disappointing that (at least per 1932) some of the UNH players apparently hold some of us fans in such low regard. If any of those guys think last season was deserving of ANY level of praise, then I think the problem in the program is a little deeper than even the most cynical of us may have already believed. And it frankly only reinforces the opinions of guys like 'Watcher who have basically called for a "clean sweep" approach to the top of the program - not the "halfway" approach that's currently entering Year 2 of a 3 yr. transition.

No more excuses. No more whining. Like bakck20 said a few posts ago ... just show me. Show us. Show us all. We've been here for a lot longer than any of the players, and yes, we've seen what it looks like when it's working correctly. But if last season is going to be the template for what the next few seasons are going to look like ... then it's a shame these players will never really get to experience what it feels like to have a partisan UNH crowd filling the house and 100% behind you. But even if the current state of the program isn't all your fault, you're still gonna have to earn it. Otherwise, hey, no big deal, enjoy the ECHL, your loss - we'll wait for the next great UNH teams.
                            Chuck, you are just a little over the top there in your last 2 paragraphs. No one said low regard, just reacting like anyone would if someone out side of the organization is hypercritical of you. They are what they are and do not have much control on who is in the room. Each came because they felt it was a good fit, or only fit, but still can't control much of what you and others are unhappy with. Is anyone happy with a losing season? Recruiting has appeared to have lost some in the past several years. and as noted we have lost some strong recruits to a number of other reasons. I have not heard or felt any "whining" from the team, no excuses. Are they all giving 100% game in and game out? I would like to think so. I watch them warm up, change at each shift, and leave at the end of some tough losses. Trust me, no one is happy. They are what they are and they seem to care deeply to a kid.
                            I am surprised that no one has gone to a very real issue that the team will face this year. With only 4 senior, 3 if JH hadn't decided to stay and improve his future chances. Does anyone remember such a small class in the last 20+ plus years. The junior class is also small at 5. These 2 classes are usually the bulk of UNH scoring. We will miss WF for sure. Not a lot of goals in these 2 classes. I do expect several to surprise and impress. This years freshmen are the best in years and last years class will produce going forward. And lets please give TK a "A" for his jersey, he sure appears to deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              Chuck, you are just a little over the top there in your last 2 paragraphs. No one said low regard, just reacting like anyone would if someone out side of the organization is hypercritical of you. They are what they are and do not have much control on who is in the room. Each came because they felt it was a good fit, or only fit, but still can't control much of what you and others are unhappy with. Is anyone happy with a losing season? Recruiting has appeared to have lost some in the past several years. and as noted we have lost some strong recruits to a number of other reasons. I have not heard or felt any "whining" from the team, no excuses. Are they all giving 100% game in and game out? I would like to think so. I watch them warm up, change at each shift, and leave at the end of some tough losses. Trust me, no one is happy. They are what they are and they seem to care deeply to a kid.
                              I am surprised that no one has gone to a very real issue that the team will face this year. With only 4 senior, 3 if JH hadn't decided to stay and improve his future chances. Does anyone remember such a small class in the last 20+ plus years. The junior class is also small at 5. These 2 classes are usually the bulk of UNH scoring. We will miss WF for sure. Not a lot of goals in these 2 classes. I do expect several to surprise and impress. This years freshmen are the best in years and last years class will produce going forward. And lets please give TK a "A" for his jersey, he sure appears to deserve it.
                              Here here on TyK receiving the "A" and I don't understand why that didn't happen at the banquet but whatever. Agree totally on what's what with the current team (aren't there more Jr's, I count 8 if you include the gk's..) I'd like to think that once the newbies get adjusted (the schedule will help with that?) we could do some damage here and there. I doubt seriously there was a ton of joy in that locker room last year and know the players we have, certainly give what they can. People here who have been following the team for a long time miss the heady times of competing for a NC and I don't blame them for wanting what was. I'm hopeful TyK has a killer Senior year for himself and that we do indeed make some strides on the skates of this incoming class...and beyond. I'm going to the Comm Ave Classic this Friday; looking forward to seeing some hockey!

ps I like the moniker After the Whistle...when I officially hang up mine that will be a sad day!
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Any thoughts or insights into why Kelleher wasn't part of the recognized leadership?

Comment

Working...
                                X