UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    Hockey East Returns to Frozen Fenway in 2017.
    http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...06/jun29ff.php

Also,
    Bentley @ UNH on October 8.
    http://www.bentleyfalcons.com/sports...16-17/schedule
    Bentley is our home opener!! Thinking you know who will be there 😉
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Nice early summer summary, but could there be other interpretations of the leadership transfer? If I am 17 and looking to commit and I see a 60 something coach who is rumored to be near the end, might I not like the idea that this younger guy has been named "the successor " and he will be my coach. Couldn't that make sense to a kid and his family?
      Could be. Good point, Mike.

I think this becomes a lesser issue as we move forward, as we're now down to two years left with Coach Umile. If I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of others as I try to summarize here ... those in favor like that the decision has been sorted out in advance, and gives the HCIW some time to get "his guys" started in the program - assuming Coach Souza does have some say in the selection process.

Those against view last season, and likely the next two seasons as transitional years where the program sits in neutral, or even goes into reverse (like last season) and falls further behind, making Coach Souza's job exponentially more difficult when he finally takes charge.

And if you are one of the top recruits he might be seeking ... even if the recruit falls in love with Coach Souza's pitch, starts in October, he may still play two years and turn pro, and never actually get the chance to play for the guy he hitched his D-1 wagon to.

I understand and largely accept that this is just the way it has to be - or at least the way Coach Umile and BS35+4 decided it has to be - but I totally understand and share in the frustration of those who are sick to death of the creeping mediocrity of UNH Men's Hockey, and it does seem like a little too much of this farewell tour of sorts is tailored way too closely to getting Coach out the door with the next round number. I think this year's schedule will further confirm that *plan*, and if the team still tanks this year, I seriously wonder how bad they would have to be to shame Coach Umile into not sticking around for Year 3.

Or maybe he will insist on an *ack* extension into Year 4 to get to the magic number ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Bentley is our home opener!! Thinking you know who will be there 😉
        Of course, I will be there, just like last year, and I think that it will be another close game.

For the "what is it worth department," per my earlier post where I calculated the upcoming OOC average PWR for UNH opponents, which is just under 40.0 (while we await for our final OOC opponent to be announced and know that it will not be AIC), I make the same calculation below for Bentley's six OOC games:

1) UNH, 39 PWR
        2+3) NU, 14 (x2)
        4) Harvard, 10t (so, 10.5)
        5+6) UVM, 33 (x2)

So, Bentley average PWR for OOC opponents (n=6): 23.92

And, in reply to post immediately above, "*ack* extension" is a wicked understatement.
        Last edited by Snively65; 06-29-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          For the "what is it worth department," per my earlier post where I calculated the upcoming OOC average PWR for UNH opponents, which is just under 40.0 (while we await for our final OOC opponent to be announced and know that it will not be AIC), I make the same calculation below for Bentley's six OOC games:

1) UNH, 39 PWR
          2+3) NU, 14 (x2)
          4) Harvard, 10t (so, 10.5)
          5+6) UVM, 33 (x2)

So, Bentley average PWR for OOC opponents (n=6): 23.92
          This highlights the bottom-fishing approach which the "(Pass the) Bataan Death March to 600" has become.

Comment

But, later it was revealed that both CC and AZ State would be visiting Lake Whitt at some point.
            CC @ UNH on October 22.
            http://www.cctigers.com/schedule.aspx?path=MHOCK&

ASU @ UNH on November 12.
            http://www.thesundevils.com/SportSel...8&SPSID=971111

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
              Thanks, boblav1. We will no doubt get our schedule pretty much worked out long before it is officially announced.

Comment

Thanks, boblav1. We will no doubt get our schedule pretty much worked out long before it is officially announced.
                just called the box office for some account maintenance was told schedule is still being ironed out with times/travel arrangements...also season tix prices will most likely remain the same (will not go up) even with the additional home game added...so it's gonna be at least in the next two weeks as they are upgrading their systems before STH's are notified for renewals and schedule release.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  just called the box office for some account maintenance was told schedule is still being ironed out with times/travel arrangements...also season tix prices will most likely remain the same (will not go up) even with the additional home game added...so it's gonna be at least in the next two weeks as they are upgrading their systems before STH's are notified for renewals and schedule release.
                  Sacred Heart/Bobby V holding out for a larger travel stipend to be cannon fodder for the "Pub Crawl to 600"?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Sacred Heart/Bobby V holding out for a larger travel stipend to be cannon fodder for the "Pub Crawl to 600"?
                    Not exactly how it was explained to me Interestingly got a flyer for Union College and their STix are 198.00...can't remember what we paid last season; think it was 315 or something like that (with the Verizon game included)...heard this season that prices would be going down so it remains to be seen...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      NHIAA schedules aren't usually ready this early...
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        I was in Durham this past Monday as external examiner on a M.S. thesis defense, and during post-defense celebration at Libby's, the parents of the student, who met at the Down Under Pub in the 1980s and have been STHers since the mid-1980s, said that they are not renewing their ST's for the coming season.

Comment

I was in Durham this past Monday as external examiner on a M.S. thesis defense, and during post-defense celebration at Libby's, the parents of the student, who met at the Down Under Pub in the 1980s and have been STHers since the mid-1980s, said that they are not renewing their ST's for the coming season.
                          We plan on it but maybe only one..and might take the risk of not doing anything til after Sept 1 (I know, doubt anyone's eyeing our seats with great anticipation they won't be renewed...but ya never know!)
                          See you at the opener sir...

Comment

This is now commonplace with a number of long time ST holders, including my wife and I (40+ years). Might sign up again after two years have passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              This is now commonplace with a number of long time ST holders, including my wife and I (40+ years). Might sign up again after two years have passed.
                              Good for you, voting with your seat. If they want to treat this as a business during the good times, squeezing you, then turnabout is fair play. If Umile actually wins 600 but nobody sees it, did it happen?

Also allows the new base of enthusiastic kids to repopulate the Whit.

Now, they just have to get talent on the ice so that there is a product worth watching.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Good for you, voting with your seat. If they want to treat this as a business during the good times, squeezing you, then turnabout is fair play. If Umile actually wins 600 but nobody sees it, did it happen?
                                If they don't win at least 15 games this season - and they didn't come all that close this past season - I honestly doubt 600 will be in the cards. I think the big question becomes, if they have another crappy year this season - say, like the one last season or worse - will Umile even get the chance to finish out his contract? Let's say they're 18-20 games short going into his final season ... how bad is it going to look on the Coach Umile "legacy" front if after three seasons of blatantly creampuff schedules, he can't get to the next round number?

Look at how poorly it ended for Coach Holt in his final few years at UNH. I've been bleating on here for almost a decade now, begging Coach Umile not to let this happen to him, or to his alma mater's program. Now there's actually a semi-realistic chance it will. And you have to at least feel for Coach Souza, who is most likely going to be the lucky guy left behind to pick up the pieces ... unless of course, the program tanks so badly, BS35+6 decides belatedly that the previously promised "national search" wasn't such a bad idea after all.

I really, really hope this next incoming class of recruits is up to getting the program back to .500. Otherwise ...

Comment

Working...
                                X