X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016 Offseason Thread - Searching for Direction

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    1. Braves... Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta
    2. Athletics (Phila. & Oakland), Dodgers (Brooklyn & Los Angeles), Giants (New York & San Francisco), Nationals/Senators & Twins (Washington & Minnesota)
    3. Giants and A's
    4. Nationals/Senators & Twins (Washington & Minnesota)

Where's the trivia question regarding the Boston Americans-Boston Red Sox?
    FiveHole12 storms into the lead, sweeping the baseball category (although snively65 kinda hinted at the first one earlier). So FH12 has 4 points, HR has 1 and snively65 gets 1 for the Spahn/Sain hinting at the Braves thing, 'cuz clearly he knew the answer there.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    At this rate, all of the answers will be in long before HR's first puck drops.

Regarding the Boston Americans (the original Red Sox), where did they play their home games in 1901, and who beat them for that first American League pennant?
    I think the Boston (AL) entry started out playing at the Huntington Ave. Grounds, now on the NU campus? I'm 99.9% sure they were there in 1903 because there was/is a plaque somewhere on campus to honor the first WS being there.

True or False: Braves Field (Boston) hosted both the Braves AND Red Sox during winning WS campaigns?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      FiveHole12 storms into the lead, sweeping the baseball category (although snively65 kinda hinted at the first one earlier). So FH12 has 4 points, HR has 1 and snively65 gets 1 for the Spahn/Sain hinting at the Braves thing, 'cuz clearly he knew the answer there.
      I think the Boston (AL) entry started out playing at the Huntington Ave. Grounds, now on the NU campus? I'm 99.9% sure they were there in 1903 because there was/is a plaque somewhere on campus to honor the first WS being there.

True or False: Braves Field (Boston) hosted both the Braves AND Red Sox during winning WS campaigns?
      Ok I have the Ottawa q: no they have never won a Stanley Cup..sorry this is so piecemeal . Also true on your true and false!?!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Ok I have the Ottawa q: no they have never won a Stanley Cup..sorry this is so piecemeal . Also true on your true and false!?!
        Good work, HR! Hardly anyone knows that the Sox played their home WS games in 1915 and 1916 at Braves Field, which had about 10,000 more seats than Fenway Park at the time. Excellent trivia question by Chuck.

I remember when the Atlanta Braves won the WS in 1995, with one of the best starting pitching trios of all time, there was lots of talk about their only two earlier WS wins in 1957 (Milwaukee) and 1914 (Boston).

But, I need to think about those other hockey trivia questions, as after all, this is a thread on a hockey board.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Yup, and the senior circuit team that they beat was from Chicago, but not named either the White Sox or the Cubs.

Comment

Good work, HR! Hardly anyone knows that the Sox played their home WS games in 1915 and 1916 at Braves Field, which had about 10,000 more seats than Fenway Park at the time. Excellent trivia question by Chuck.

I remember when the Atlanta Braves won the WS in 1995, with one of the best starting pitching trios of all time, there was lots of talk about their only two earlier WS wins in 1957 (Milwaukee) and 1914 (Boston).

But, I need to think about those other hockey trivia questions, as after all, this is a thread on a hockey board.
            I do believe I'm incorrect on the Ottawa Sens / Stanley Cup...stand corrected on that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              I do believe I'm incorrect on the Ottawa Sens / Stanley Cup...stand corrected on that one.
              Good that you corrected yourself on that one, HR. :-) Chuck included a great hint in his intro sentence. So, I say T, F, and F on the three T/F hockey questions.

Comment

I guess even less folks know the 1914 Braves played their WS home games at ... Fenway Park! Braves Field was under construction, and did not open until 1915. So that one is false - just not the way you'd think.

The original Ottawa Senators were the first Stanley Cup champions (1927) when the trophy was exclusively up for grabs between only NHL teams. They beat the Bruins that year. Eddie Shore, old time hockey.

I'll go through the rest tomorrow and update scores then. But those two had the most discussion.

Comment

Yup, and the senior circuit team that they beat was from Chicago, but not named either the White Sox or the Cubs.
                  Nope. In 1903 Boston beat Pittsburgh (and Honus Wagner) 5-3 in a best of nine series.

Not sure on this, but it may also be the only other time in baseball history that a team that had lost 3 games in a series won the last 4 to take it. Other than that 2004 Sox-Yankees thingie (on which I'm 100% neutral).

Comment

Nope. In 1903 Boston beat Pittsburgh (and Honus Wagner) 5-3 in a best of nine series.

Not sure on this, but it may also be the only other time in baseball history that a team that had lost 3 games in a series won the last 4 to take it. Other than that 2004 Sox-Yankees thingie (on which I'm 100% neutral).
                    But, my trivia question to answer Five Hole's request for a trivia question about the Boston Americans was something like "who did the Boston Amercians (proto-Red Sox) play for the AL pennant and where in 1901?" The team that beat them was the Chicago White Stockings. All two years before the first WS in 1903.

Yes, that is incredibly ironic that the Braves played at Fenway Park in 1914. Amazing history for an area that was under water, so to speak, a hundred years earlier.

Comment

But, my trivia question to answer Five Hole's request for a trivia question about the Boston Americans was something like "who did the Boston Amercians (proto-Red Sox) play for the AL pennant and where in 1901?" The team that beat them was the Chicago White Stockings. All two years before the first WS in 1903.
                      Of course, my apologies. I lost the plot - not for the first nor last time, mind you.

Good that you corrected yourself on that one, HR. :-) Chuck included a great hint in his intro sentence. So, I say T, F, and F on the three T/F hockey questions.
                      Nailed it. Good overnight for you, snively65. That brings you up to a first place tie with FiveHole12 at 4 points apiece, and HR has 1 point in honor of the West/Baylor/Goodrich era Lakers. Indecision on Ottawa cost you, though.

Comment

OK - just wanted to bring this back up to the top of the thread, and save you folks from the endless scrolling to get to the remaining questions. Again - using a very tenuous link to "Searching for Direction" - the subject is "Nomadic Championship Sports Franchises". I've bolded the answered questions, so the rest are still up for grabs. First up, baseball (due to longevity):

* Name the only franchise to win baseball's World Series in three (3) different cities? Braves
                        * Name the other four (4) franchises to win the World Series in two (2) different cities?
                        Dodgers/Giants/A's & Senators/Twins
                        * Name the only two (2) franchises to win multiple World Series titles in more than one city? Giants/A's
                        * Name the only (1) franchise to win the Series in different cities under different team nicknames?
                        Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins

So I'll take the baseball portion of the quiz off of any future updates.

Next up is pro football, and for purposes of these questions, "NFL Championships" will be constituted of Super Bowl (1966-present) and NFL Championship Game (1933-1965) winners. AFL Championship (1960-1965) and AAFC Championship (1946-1949) winners will be considered only for the questions that are specifically geared to multi-league winners. None of the WFL, USFL or XFL are considered here, as none of their teams were eventually merged into the NFL. Surprisingly, no one has taken a sniff of any of these yet:

* Name the only franchise to have won the NFL Championship in three (3) different cities?
                        * Name the only three (3) franchises to win the NFL Championship in two (2) different cities?
                        * Name the five (5) cities to win NFL championships with two (2) different franchises?
                        * Name the only two (2) franchises to have won championships in two (2) different leagues?
                        * Name the only (1) franchise to have won championships in different leagues, in two different cities?

BONUS POINTS (True or False):

The NFL began competition in 1920. The 2001 Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots marked the first time a New England based team were recognized as NFL champions?

When the San Diego Chargers waxed the Boston Patriots 51-10 in the 1963 AFL Championship game, it marked the first time ever that a Boston based team had played in a professional football (NFL/AFL/AAFC) championship game?

A New England city has never hosted a professional football (NFL/AFL/AAFC) championship game?

Now onto bouncy-ball ... this section includes only NBA Championships, with any ABA (1967-1976) exceptions specifically outlined. HR still has the lead in this sub-category, making Jerry "Mr. Clutch" West very proud indeed:

* Name the only three (3) franchises to have won NBA Championships in two (2) different cities?
                        Minneapolis/LA Lakers plus two more still outstanding
                        * From the last question ... what is the only (1) franchise to have won in different cities, with different nicknames?
                        * What are the only two (2) cities to have had two different franchises win a professional (NBA/ABA) championship?
                        * Name the only one of the four ABA franchises to merge with the NBA to never win a championship in either league?

Now, finally on to the NHL, which for our purposes will extend back to 1927 when the Stanley Cup was competed for solely by the NHL's teams, and awarded to the winner of the NHL playoffs. Questions will include the WHA and its Avco Cup (1973-1979) where appropriate:

* True/False - no NHL franchise has ever won the Stanley Cup in two or more different cities? True
                        * True/False - excluding the Rangers/Islanders, no city has ever won the Stanley Cup with two different franchises?
                        False - Montreal Canadiens/Maroons
                        * True/False - the Ottawa Senators have never won the Stanley Cup while part of the NHL? False - 1927
                        * Name the two (2) franchises who have won both the Stanley Cup and the Avco Cup?
                        * 4 WHA franchises merged into the NHL in 1979. Which is the only one not to have since won the Stanley Cup?

BONUS POINTS: In 1967 the NHL expanded by six teams, doubling in size for the '67/'68 season. Of those initial expansion franchises, which is the only one (1) whose lineage (including franchise mergers and/or moves to different cities) cannot be traced to winning the Stanley Cup since?

Still a fair amount of low hanging fruit out there - even on the hockey. Have a great weekend, all!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
                          The pre-historic hockey era, or, I refer to it, the year before Umile came to UNH!

St.Louis
                          Watcher nails it, and gets the prerequisite jab in at our local hero in the process.

Penguins, Flyers, and Kings all won the Cup in their only towns.

The Minnesota North Stars became the Dallas Stars, where they won theirs.

The Oakland Seals ... well, that's the tricky one. They became the California Seals, then the California Golden Seals, and then they picked up and left to become the Cleveland Barons for a couple of seasons in the '70's. When that didn't work, the NHL merged the Barons with the North Stars, where the Barons disappeared, and the Minnesota team went from there.

Not that it matters ... but when San Jose brought the NHL back to the Bay Area almost 20 years later, they adopted a teal color as part of their uniforms, which had been previously unique to the former Seals franchise. But (thankfully) they decided against the white skates, which was a relatively short-lived gimmick introduced by the eccentric/nutcake former Seals (and Oakland A's) owner Charlie O. Finley.

I can't say for sure, but when the Wild returned the NHL to the Twin Cities, it was with a similar shade of dark green uniforms as the predecessor North Stars as well.

Comment

Of course, my apologies. I lost the plot - not for the first nor last time, mind you.

Nailed it. Good overnight for you, snively65. That brings you up to a first place tie with FiveHole12 at 4 points apiece, and HR has 1 point in honor of the West/Baylor/Goodrich era Lakers. Indecision on Ottawa cost you, though.
                            No worries, Chuck, as Fivehole and I were inventing our own trivia questions, hence the confusion.

I know a few more squeak ball and hockey puck answers, but I will hold off and let others chime in. :-)

Comment

Watcher must be working on a more thorough response with lots of answers.

Comment

Watcher must be working on a more thorough response with lots of answers.
                                Enjoyed your mention of my Lakers esp West and Goodrich one of best backcourt team EVER...in my opinion of course �� Wilt was the Center when I cheered for the and he had his haters...even to this day hubby and I go back and forth about Russell v Chamberlain. Hats off to the '72 Lakers for their 69-13 record too. (Which until recently was the best ever and pahleeeze I am aware of how many Championships the Celtics have won; admirable) Ah feel like yesterday!! Trivia for you guys and it's an easy one who was the 6th man on that team?
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-17-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X