Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten

I wouldn't mind seeing ASU end up in Hockey East.

If ASU does end up in the NCHC, then I could see the NCHC trying to snipe Mankato State from the WCHA in order to keep an even count of teams in the league.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
      meh. no thanks, we'll leave all that extra travel to the nachos. they'll enjoy it.
      I am sure teams like LSSU, Ferris State and Bowling Green are highly against ASU joining because of the travel.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        The issue with the Big Ten typically begins with academic standing and membership with the AAU. Notre Dame is the only exception to their admission requirement as an affiliate, but their relatively high undergrad ranking and academic reputation, as well as name brand was enough to pass the B1G litmus test. Although a potential PAC-12/Big Ten connection appeared to be an attractive speculation for BTN media revenue, apparently ASU was too much of an exception as an affiliate.
        Once you make exceptions there is no rule.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          If ASU does end up in the NCHC, then I could see the NCHC trying to snipe Mankato State from the WCHA in order to keep an even count of teams in the league.
          Which would only add more reason for Miami and Western Michigan to leave the NCHC. If ASU goes NCHC and an 10th member has to be added, it should be Bowling Green or another Michigan school as I'm sure they(Miami/WMU) wouldn't be thrilled at having to travel even further with the addition of ASU. Either way though, it'd probably only just delay vs prevent the re-creation of the CCHA. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the CCHA came back in some form.
          Last edited by SiouxFanatic; 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Once you make exceptions there is no rule.
            It's both a qualitative and quantitative measure that largely depends on the academic range of exception. On the arena issue, ASU had an average of over 5,000 fans in attendance for three games at the Coyotes' Gila River Arena this past season. A joint venture with the Coyotes on venue is being discussed.

Comment

It's both a qualitative and quantitative measure that largely depends on the academic range of exception. On the arena issue, ASU had an average of over 5,000 fans in attendance for three games at the Coyotes' Gila River Arena this past season. A joint venture with the Coyotes on venue is being discussed.
              The arena issue is that ASU is now a full season into their Div 1 program and has no concrete arena solution yet in place. Ideally and on/near campus facility with 5-10 thousand capacity would already be in the works, but isn't (that we know of). Whether they went that route or a joint arena with the Coyotes closer to campus, it takes time to build an arena. The B1G may be trying to pawn ASU off on the WCHA (or NCHC), at least in the near term until ASU has an arena solution in place.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                I am sure teams like LSSU, Ferris State and Bowling Green are highly against ASU joining because of the travel.
                If I'm not mistaken, I recall reading on this forum that Dr. Mazey (BG president) was part of the pursuit team that pitched the WCHA to ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  The arena issue is that ASU is now a full season into their Div 1 program and has no concrete arena solution yet in place. Ideally and on/near campus facility with 5-10 thousand capacity would already be in the works, but isn't (that we know of). Whether they went that route or a joint arena with the Coyotes closer to campus, it takes time to build an arena. The B1G may be trying to pawn ASU off on the WCHA (or NCHC), at least in the near term until ASU has an arena solution in place.
                  According the head coach Greg Powers we do know that an arena is "in the works". As I stated, negotiations are ongoing in regards to playing at Gila River Arena with a view to their having their own on-campus arena in 2017-18, which most likely would have been their inaugural season along with Notre Dame into the Big Ten.

Head coach Greg Powers said negotiations are ongoing for games to be played as soon as next season at Gila River Arena in Glendale, home of the NHL's Arizona Coyotes. The endgame for ASU hockey is a 4,000-6,000-seat arena in the East Valley, preferably on campus, Powers said. He said he hopes to have that done in time for ASU's third Division I season in 2017-18.

Comment

According the head coach Greg Powers we do know that an arena is "in the works". As I stated, negotiations are ongoing in regards to playing at Gila River Arena with a view to their having their own on-campus arena in 2017-18, which most likely would have been their inaugural season along with Notre Dame into the Big Ten.
                    If it's really the arena that is the issue I would assume that they would wait a few weeks for the arena study to complete. More likely, I think is that they could not come to an agreement related to the Big Ten Network and Pac-12 Network.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                      If it's really the arena that is the issue I would assume that they would wait a few weeks for the arena study to complete. More likely, I think is that they could not come to an agreement related to the Big Ten Network and Pac-12 Network.
                      No doubt that "friendly" partnership could have potentially yielded expansion into other sports and a substantial media revenue stream. But broadcasting rights ALWAYS plays second fiddle to academic standards for admission into the Big Ten.

Comment

on-campus arena in 2017-18
                        Unless they're planning a 5,000 seat pole barn with metal bleachers as their home rink, that time table isn't going to happen. If they were building now, they MIGHT have been ready for the 2018-19 season. They don't even have a concrete plan in place, much less are they pouring concrete.

Look at UNO's timetable for comparison. They had APPROVED PLANS in March of 2013 and didn't have a completed rink until October of 2015, roughly 2.5 years later. ASU has no plans and even if you shrunk the timetable, you're a minimum of two years away from having a rink.

Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Has ASU said what they would do for travel? If they foot the bill or most of it like us and UA_ them coming to the WCHA would not be that bad. They would be the best known school in the WCHA, but would that bring in money idk.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

No doubt that "friendly" partnership could have potentially yielded expansion into other sports and a substantial media revenue stream. But broadcasting rights ALWAYS plays second fiddle to academic standards for admission into the Big Ten.
                            Except, of course, when it comes to Notre dame.
                            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                              Has ASU said what they would do for travel?
                              They would do anything for travel, but they won't do that
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I wouldn't understand arizona state joini g the WCHA

Comment

Working...
                                X