• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any word on new omaha 2nd assistant coach

I know they hired the top guy, any word on search for 2nd guy

Re: any word on new omaha 2nd assistant coach

So far nothing has been announced
    UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
      So far nothing has been announced

heard lots of applicants current junior coach??

Comment

Originally posted by upfan1111 View Post
        heard lots of applicants current junior coach??
        Leigh Mendelson, the volunteer goalie coach is being elevated. He was going to be on CC's new staff, but was denied for not having a degree. Went to Omaha to finish degree and was the volunteer on staff as well.....
        Coach Speak: "He's a great guy in the room."
        Translation: "We should leave him in the room, because he's lousy on the ice....."

Comment

Originally posted by Hockee View Post
          Leigh Mendelson, the volunteer goalie coach is being elevated. He was going to be on CC's new staff, but was denied for not having a degree. Went to Omaha to finish degree and was the volunteer on staff as well.....
          If indeed it is Leigh, that's a nice choice for UNO.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockee View Post
            That would sure support the theory that Blais is no longer in control of his team, and Kemp is running the show. I hate to see Blais go out this way.

Comment

Well after watching Blais throw his assistants under the bus following last season, clearly the list of guys who want to work for Blais isn't that long if promoting a volunteer coach was their best option. Nobody with any past experience wanted a job in the NCHC? I doubt that is the case. Clearly working for Blais isn't the career building, dream job it used to be in college hockey.
              Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Well after watching Blais throw his assistants under the bus following last season, clearly the list of guys who want to work for Blais isn't that long if promoting a volunteer coach was their best option. Nobody with any past experience wanted a job in the NCHC? I doubt that is the case. Clearly working for Blais isn't the career building, dream job it used to be in college hockey.
                Ryan J
                Not true
                Any guy looking to learn from one of the best would love to go there

He has his top guy, second guy is not going to get a ton for it

Great job and many would want it

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  Not true
                  Any guy looking to learn from one of the best would love to go there

He has his top guy, second guy is not going to get a ton for it

Great job and many would want it
                  Very true!!! I'm just not real sure it was Dean's idea to send the other assistant's down the road. I'm sure there were lots of young coaches who would have loved the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                    Very true!!! I'm just not real sure it was Dean's idea to send the other assistant's down the road. I'm sure there were lots of young coaches who would have loved the job.
                    They were in frozen four last year
                    Any young coach or even a veteran should be stalking him in Naples to get the job, obviously to late
                    He runs the program, no ones telling him what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                      They were in frozen four last year
                      Any young coach or even a veteran should be stalking him in Naples to get the job, obviously to late
                      He runs the program, no ones telling him what to do
                      I think most people knew Mendelson would get the job but probably stalked anyway...long before Naples. As far as running the program...I hope you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Ryan J
                        It's not always the head coach that throw assistants under the bus. Mike Eaves was pushed to let his assistants go after the 14-15 season and I think the possibility that Trev Alberts "suggested" Blais make some changes is very possible.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

True, yes it does happen that way, but my point is that it raises questions about where the program is headed and who is really in charge. If the head coach isn't held accountable for the team's performance, what is his motivation to achieve? Why not just have the AD set the roster for the team and cut the players that don't perform if he wants to steer the program.

I would say the players have a lot more to do with the wins and losses than the assistant coaches, especially when you start the year well and then go in the tank the second half. What UNO did would be like firing the server in the school lunch line because the Salisbury Steak and Pizza Boats taste bad. The ACs are just passing along whatever instruction the HC gives them. If by chance the ACs were drawing up the Xs and Os, and were responsible for the teams poor second half, well then what the heck is Blais doing at UNO?

Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Getting rid of the assistants is a product of the trend that UNO has shown over the last 4+ years. The team hasn't been to a conference tourney final weekend since the CCHA days. Structure, team defense and goal tending have all been more or less suspect in the Dean era. The goal tending improvement seen in the last two years by Massa and Weninger are a product of Mendelsen's training and recruiting. Mendelsen was brought on two years ago as a volunteer assistant while he finished his bachelor's degree at Omaha. He has extensive coaching experience at all levels of hockey here and in Europe. The other assistant is a structure-oriented defenseman alum who is coming off coaching the NAIT ooks to the best record Canadian collegiate hockey has ever seen. The firing and hiring seem to be very strategic moves that don't really indicate they were made by any one person. My opinion is that these moves were probably joint decisions made mostly by Dean and assistant AD Mike Kemp with some input by AD Trev and maybe a couple others.
                            Omaha's recruiting has been as good as it's ever been and to blame 4-5 years of late-season collapses on the players or recruiting alone is misguided given the fact that we have as many NHL prospects as we've ever had. I'm sure other respectable names could have filled the vacancies, but they may not have met the needs of the program as specifically as the incoming assistants do.
                            Dean likes Omaha and Omaha likes Dean. To think he's not playing the major role in these decisions would suggest otherwise which is unsupported at this point in time.

Comment

I heard Happy Gilmore. He has grown tired of golf...
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                              X