Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season thread - 2016

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Nice to see the two U of M recruits each getting a goal in Team USA's 6-1 win over Sweden! Casey Mittelstadt opened the scoring for the U.S. with a beautiful wrister, which I happened to see on KSTP's sport segment this evening. Then Ryan Lindgren scored the USA's third goal on a give-and-go passing play...might he lend the Gophers some offensive punch from the blue line?

Other Minnesotans who scored for the U.S. were Kieffer Bellows (Edina) and Joey Anderson (Roseville). With six players Minnesota is well represented on the team. Missouri and New York, with three players each, are tied for second.

USA lineup here: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...nes-041616.pdf
    So how did Mittlestedt look overall? I forgot the game was on NHLnet.

Comment

USA plays Latvia today at 3pm CT, live on the NHL Network.

Highlights from their 6-1 win over Sweden, Mittelstadt's opening goal is about 1:50 in: https://youtu.be/kvSiXMoAdpw?list=PLC2673C44A8A8038B
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I would expect double digits in that one.

Comment

12-1 final

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            If the two of them match Brodzinski and Seeler's 31 total points, that would be awesome. I'd expect about 25 total points between the two of them.

Offense from the D may be a real pain point.
            The key there is the year. If they can put up 25 pts as freshmen vs. 31 as a junior and senior, things will be looking pretty good. We should keep in mind that Bischoff will be primary QB if he stays, but that would make 25 all the more impactful. Goals from offense is almost always the key for the Gophers. IMO last year recruits were on average a little light in that department.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

I wouldn't assume Bischoff is the PP QB. I'd say Zuhlsdorf or Johnson if he steps up would be in the running.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                I wouldn't assume Bischoff is the PP QB. I'd say Zuhlsdorf or Johnson if he steps up would be in the running.
                You may be right, although Bischoff was chosen as QB over Johnson last year and is the only experienced Gopher QB on the team. My best guess is that Johnson will be on the inside track for QB #2...with Zuhlsdorf and Lindgren on the outside looking in for their first year. IMHO
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  You may be right, although Bischoff was chosen as QB over Johnson last year and is the only experienced Gopher QB on the team. My best guess is that Johnson will be on the inside track for QB #2...with Zuhlsdorf and Lindgren on the outside looking in for their first year. IMHO
                  Seems likely to me Bischoff's experience, consistent increase in his point totals since his FR year and the much needed senior leadership on the backline makes him a likely candidate for another season as alternative captain and the D QB. Overall I thought Johnson improved on D as the season progressed and showed flashes of his offensive skill set at needed times. But I remember a couple bad turnovers and position play issues too that he'll need to work on for game situations.

On Zuhlsdorf, solid offensive minded D, but it remains to be seen how quickly he adapts to D1. Traditionally he's not buried the puck much, but tends to jump up in the play and create scoring opportunities.

Comment

I really like what I've seen of Lindgren so far in the Worlds. Solid defensively, and makes a lot of smart plays in all three zones. I'm anxious to see how he does against better competition than what the U.S. has faced so far.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I really like what I've seen of Lindgren so far in the Worlds. Solid defensively, and makes a lot of smart plays in all three zones. I'm anxious to see how he does against better competition than what the U.S. has faced so far.
                      Nice to see he keeps getting considered for captain. Assume that can't hurt in giving him ample ice time next year to make the leap.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Zuhlsdorf has more offensive upside and leadership potential than Lindgren. Among Bischoff, Glover, Johnson, Sadek, Zuhlsdorf, Lindgren and Collins, Lindgren might be relegated to a rotation much like Sadek was last season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          Zuhlsdorf has more offensive upside and leadership potential than Lindgren. Among Bischoff, Glover, Johnson, Sadek, Zuhlsdorf, Lindgren and Collins, Lindgren might be relegated to a rotation much like Sadek was last season.
                          It's more likely that Lindgren is the best of that group than the worst.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            This is good from a Lindgren perspective and depressing overall.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              Is this a hit and run post or do you actually have some proof to back it up?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                Is this a hit and run post or do you actually have some proof to back it up?
                                Is it that shocking? He was extremely highly regarded a few years ago and is the captain of the team steamrolling the U18s. He is a steady defenseman, which is kind of like Bischoff. Glover and Collins obviously are in no best on team discussion, and Johnson and Sadek will need to step it up this summer, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X