PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

huskyfan
06-18-2016, 12:26 PM
I love dive bars. I remember Pitchitino's in Calumet after an evening of rat shooting at the dump was fantastic,( a 10 oz draft was 10 cents) and there was a bar in South Range I particularly liked, though I have no idea what the name of it was. Plus of course the gay bar but I didn't go there very often.

the gay bar remains awesome. they have gone to a hot dog menu. they must have 50-60 different kind of hot dogs. love the gay parade on the 4th.

Shirtless Guy
06-20-2016, 09:01 AM
So most important info from today's Mel Pearson Show:
D - Keegan Ford (3 years eligibility)
D - Mitch Reinke
G - Angus Redmond
F - Raymond Brice
F - Thomas Beretta
F - Gavin Gould
F - Chris Gerrie
F - Alex Smith
F - Erik Pederson

So Cooper Watson will get another year of seasoning, which makes sense with the quality of d-men and the fact that with Reinke and Ford, the Huskies will have 8.

Shirtless Guy
06-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Big surprise here:
Little Caesar's U16 '00 D Logan Pietila has committed to Michigan Tech.

EDIT:
AND Michigan Tech scores big, landing a commitment from twin brothers Logan ('00 F) and Blake (00 'G) Pietila out of Detroit Little Caesars U16.

Wi.Huskies Fan
06-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Anyone have a link to this morning's Mel Pearson Show?
I didn't see anything on Tech's athletic website.
I missed it this morning.

mtu_huskies
06-20-2016, 09:30 PM
When Mel said he had to leave because a couple of recruits were in town, he said something to the effect that there was one dad on the trip as well. With twins committing, now we know who was in Houghton today I'd say.

Here are a few others notes I had this morning.

Mel P show notes from today 6/20:
Team is here working out, get feedback from Shelast, including Ray Brice because he's local
Staff have been in rink, USHL camps, NAHL camps, USNDP camp
Ice is back in, a little early this year, thanks to athletic department, allows guys to skate prior to heading to NHL camps

Still waiting on word of Vallis eligibility from NCAA

Questions:
19 day break after BG in December, looking for an opponent?
No, a lot of travel before that. Thought about looking for a home game, but finals week.
Thought about Canadian exhibition and USNTDP, but decided on just relax.

What are 2 or 3 key points for prep for next season:
Mental/physical prep will be huge with playing UMD right away.
Rock solid D, until we figure out our offense after losing Petan/Gould.
Neville/Steman will add at center with faceoffs, Blacklock/E. Anderson, Luchini, plus Alex Smith's strength is faceoff.

NHL Camps, Draft Friday:
10-12 players going to camps

mtu_huskies
06-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Anyone have a link to this morning's Mel Pearson Show?
I didn't see anything on Tech's athletic website.
I missed it this morning.

Here you go: http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/multimedia/Mel_Pearson_Show

It says June 22, 2016, so it's from the future. Enjoy.

bigblue_dl
06-20-2016, 09:36 PM
When Mel said he had to leave because a couple of recruits were in town, he said something to the effect that there was one dad on the trip as well. With twins committing, now we know who was in Houghton today I'd say.

Here are a few others notes I had this morning.

There are 38 games on the schedule already, there is no need for an extra exhibition game in December.

Wi.Huskies Fan
06-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Here you go: http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/multimedia/Mel_Pearson_Show

It says June 22, 2016, so it's from the future. Enjoy.

Thanks for digging that up, much appreciated.

manurespreader
06-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Looks to me that we will be better offensively than last year, but it might take a few games for our new guys to get acclimated. I think the defense will be as good and the only question in my mind would be in goal. But you know Phillips didn;t do that great at the beginning of the year, so overall I think the goaltending will be about the same.
Now given the schedule....., well should be interesting first 5 weeks.

davyd83
06-21-2016, 09:26 PM
There are 38 games on the schedule already, there is no need for an extra exhibition game in December.

Couldn't agree more. Even with 36, those midseason exhibitions offer far more risk than benefit. The plus is getting some 5th & 6th liners and the 8-9 D some game condition ice time, the minus is the injury risk. And sometimes those Canadian & Junior games can get a little chippy.

davyd83
06-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Looks to me that we will be better offensively than last year, but it might take a few games for our new guys to get acclimated. I think the defense will be as good and the only question in my mind would be in goal. But you know Phillips didn;t do that great at the beginning of the year, so overall I think the goaltending will be about the same.
Now given the schedule....., well should be interesting first 5 weeks.
If you get through that stretch with 5 or 6 W's, you're in great shape!

bigblue_dl
06-21-2016, 09:33 PM
If you get through that stretch with 5 or 6 W's, you're in great shape!

Yeah, even splitting with Michigan, Notre Dame and UMD would go a helluva long ways toward improved PWR.

huskyfan
06-22-2016, 12:10 AM
so we are in Scottsdale AZ for the mister's cancer check up at Mayo. we are having a beer at the hotel bar after. the mister is wearing (as always) his Tech shirt. a man walks up to us and points to Toms shirts. Tech grad we ask. yes, Metallurgical Engineering, 59-63. we talk Tech a bit and I pick up a bit of a Canadian accent. what brought you to Tech I ask, already knowing the answer. (what else brings Canadians to Tech?) Hockey. 59-63? Gary Begg. he played on the 62 NCAA championship team. good friends with Rick Yeo. Knows tMel. spends winters in Barbados, where we sometimes do to and where John Scott spent his honeymoon. can coincidence get any more crazy??

BTW. the misters cancer has returned, especially in the salivary gland skin. will be under going radiation soon. any prayers, karma, kind thoughts, etc are appreciated.

Wi.Huskies Fan
06-22-2016, 12:39 AM
Couldn't agree more. Even with 36, those midseason exhibitions offer far more risk than benefit. The plus is getting some 5th & 6th liners and the 8-9 D some game condition ice time, the minus is the injury risk. And sometimes those Canadian & Junior games can get a little chippy.

Mel also mentioned on his show that finals are around that time of year. Wants the players to keep up in the classroom, much the same as John MacInnes was about the studies.

Wi.Huskies Fan
06-22-2016, 12:43 AM
so we are in Scottsdale AZ for the mister's cancer check up at Mayo. we are having a beer at the hotel bar after. the mister is wearing (as always) his Tech shirt. a man walks up to us and points to Toms shirts. Tech grad we ask. yes, Metallurgical Engineering, 59-63. we talk Tech a bit and I pick up a bit of a Canadian accent. what brought you to Tech I ask, already knowing the answer. (what else brings Canadians to Tech?) Hockey. 59-63? Gary Begg. he played on the 62 NCAA championship team. good friends with Rick Yeo. Knows tMel. spends winters in Barbados, where we sometimes do to and where John Scott spent his honeymoon. can coincidence get any more crazy??

BTW. the misters cancer has returned, especially in the salivary gland skin. will be under going radiation soon. any prayers, karma, kind thoughts, etc are appreciated.

Prayers sent your way for the hubby and you.

gfmorris
06-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Count on it.

GFM

Laker Dude
06-22-2016, 07:31 PM

Hope he gets healthy soon!

manurespreader
06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Prayers coming for the mister.!

Huskiefan906
06-22-2016, 08:50 PM
Tech looking awesome this year, Gerrie and Beretta too good to sit, same with Reinke and Ford, will split time for Birks. See you at the NCAAs.

rustedblades
06-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech looking awesome this year, Gerrie and Beretta too good to sit, same with Reinke and Ford, will split time for Birks. See you at the NCAAs.

Not sure I would get super excited about the incoming forward prospects until you've seen them play at this level. I recall the same type of enthusiasm for a couple other incoming guys a couple of years ago and there ice time has been limited. Gerrie's numbers are respectable for the BCHL but hardly phenomenal. Evan Anderson had better BCHL numbers and has played 2 games ( I know he was sick for part of his first year, not sure the circumstances last year)

Lucchini's BCHL numbers are almost double Gerrie's. I don't think Gerrie is at Lucchini's level. Hope I'm wrong.

Regarding Berretta, I believe the OJ is a step or 2 below the BCHL so it is hard to say where he will end up. If he put up those kind of numbers in the BCHL I would be excited. Not sure how the numbers translate coming from the OJHL?

I actually think Gould is the most promising of the forward prospects. Better than a point a game numbers even after being traded mid stream. If anyone steps right in I would put my money on him.

I hope you are right about Gerrie and Berreta, but I am more cautiously optimistic.