Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Mel is on now on Mix 93.

http://themix93.com/wkmjfm-player.php

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

An appeal for Max Vallis for a 4th year of eligibility is underway, per Mel this morning.

All other returning players are on campus and working out right now, so no early departures or transfers as of this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm not sure Duluth's return trip will be next year with MTU part of the icebreaker in Duluth next season. The good news is Tech has at least 4 NC home games in 2017-18, Wisconsin and ASU.
        If memory serves me correctly, the UW series is the back end of the Huskies trip to Madison in the 2012-13 season and that deal was an even swap (Mike Eaves was the only Big Ten coach that seemed to be doing even deals).
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Because of the calendar for NCAA hockey, the Huskies will actually be playing a game at Duluth on the first official day of practice. There's no waiver for playing an early game to get practice started earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            Mel is on now on Mix 93. http://themix93.com/wkmjfm-player.php
            Thanks for the link. tMel sound upbeat and ready. Did you feel that because of league changes he was just biting the bullet this year or sees something bright?

Comment

Some notes to add to what others have posted. Good to get some hockey talk and I hope they have a good turnout tonight. It's good to do things like this to get the locals involved.

Mel was in a rink last weekend, this will be his first weekend to relax and not be anywhere in awhile

Tonight at JMSIA 6-8, all youth and adults are welcome at spring hockey carnival - free
              Players can interact with locals and talk hockey
              Plenty of fun, bounce house, shooting on Kero/Wintjes
              Come out tonight, really enjoy seeing the young fans and players interact.
              Free food/prizes/games.

Season tickets available starting today, not onlien yet(next week) but call, discounted until 7/1

McNaughton cup is at station with Mel, he likes to bring it around the community

New playoff format:
              League meetings in April, discussed playoffs financially and fan/player experience
              It'll be a better price point for local fans, hopefully can save your money to go to the regional
              Mel played when it was on campus, Mel's senior year, played Michigan in Houghton in playoffs, great hockey, it'll be fantastic, thinks it the right move right now
              If we would've played/won Ferris 2 of 3, instead of lose 1, maybe would've helped RPI and our NCAA chances last year
              Dirk said - Mitch wondering why only 1 championship game, we discussed 2nd round being single game, want teams to be fresh in NCAA, already travel a lot as a league
              Quick turn around with NCAA starting, so only a 1 game championship
              1st round will be built into season tickets, not sure on 2nd round

On players:
              Vallis review at NCAA, Vallis would like to come back, we'll see
              Have spoken with all our players, a number going to NHL development camps, don't want that phone call like JJ, get a call after a camp saying they have an opportunity, Mel resting well

Incoming freshmen:
              On another show, go over all signees, we've had a couple others come on board, 9 person freshmen class, maybe 10
              There's some good players in there, only 1 is still playing against coach Muckalt's team

On schedule:
              Very road heavy schedule, will we get reciprocated in future years?
              Originally only going to UM and MSU. Didn't have anything else.
              We were going to play in a tournament just after Xmas, that fell through so impacted ND and Tech, both had opening so we are traveling there as it worked better for them. They will come back to Houghton eventually.
              Didn't play UMD for first time in a long time last year. Just decided to go over there for two games. They'll come back in 2 years afte ice breaker next year.
              In future UW, ND, ASU, UMD all planned to play in Houghton. Want to play best teams. We've talked abotu tough schedule with team. UMD/ND/UM all in NCAA last year.
              In discussion with UM/MSU for more games after this year. They have some things to figure out to with ND added to B1G.
              We've talked to North Dakota.
              UW will be in 2017/18 in Houghton, contract signed. Mel has a good relationship with Granato at UW.
              Official first practice day is 10/1, played UMD that night. A lot of captains practice.
              School start 8/29, our guys will be on the ice. Coaches 2 hours a week allowed 9/15.
              Very excited to have UMD back on schedule.
              Get a hotel for UMD, team has looked into it and rooms are expensive already. Sat/Sunday, Sunday early game. Maybe 5ish, Sandelin and their new AD great to work with.
              At Michigan is homecoming/football weekend, so get hotels.
              Mankato was schedule to be at end of year again like it has been recently, had to shift due to our new longer playoff schedule, now early in season. We were supposed to have first half of Oct open, now travel/playing.
              There will be good team bonding with early travel.
              GLI - Thur/Fri this year

Another Mel P show once freshmen official.

Shoutout to Mel's wife, 34th wedding anniversary recently.

Comment

For those of you wondering about the Playoff change helping MTU last year...other than giving them home rink advantage, which would have increased their chances of winning, the format would not have helped MTU get into the NCAA tournament.

MTU would have had to win the WCHA tournament to get in last year under this new format...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  For those of you wondering about the Playoff change helping MTU last year...other than giving them home rink advantage, which would have increased their chances of winning, the format would not have helped MTU get into the NCAA tournament.

MTU would have had to win the WCHA tournament to get in last year under this new format...
                  This just goes to show that 1) we need great success in our meager non-conference schedule for PWR boosts and 2) you have to beat the bad teams to make the playoffs without the AQ. I'll be working with Shirtless to do some what-if scenarios.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Hey pal, I was rooting for Tech long before you, been to more Tech games than you'll ever hope to see, and if they're aren't playing my alma mater, I'm always pulling for the Huskies. I hoped they would win Grand Rapids & make some noise in the NCAA. And please point out where my facts are incorrect.
                    And I don't give a flying ****. You're still ****ing annoying and need to just go away.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Do Tech fans not know how to use the block function? If you think that Dave's worth flipping a bozo bit over, flip it.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        Do Tech fans not know how to use the block function? If you think that Dave's worth flipping a bozo bit over, flip it.

GFM
                        I don't block, never have, never will...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                          I may bump heads here & there with Shirtless, but he's a great Husky hockey fan and has a lot of good discussion points. As someone who grew up playing hockey at Dee Stadium and watching Lyle & Jensen & Rockwell & Nahrgang and some guy named Mel Something or other, it's great to see the excitement back in Houghton.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well personally I like davy though he does talk too much some times. So do we all.

I'm glad we have a tough non con schedule, but man, it's a lot of away. I don't trust ND to actually show up in Houghton..
                            I doubt I'll go there because of the ref thing. I think ND gets breaks by the refs at almost all of their home games. it's a real travesty at times.
                            I watch a lot of ND hockey. If you think umich is arrogant, ND has them beat big time.
                            Anyone coming down to Southeast Michigan for games is welcome at my house any time. You can even drink my booze.

I'm also NOT a fan of wisconsin. I don't like the fans, I don't like the administration, and I don't like how they think if they just raise the pay enough the rest of us will fall by the wayside. I'm going to dig down and contribute a bigger check than before simply because of that. It's an arms race and I'm not going to stand by and let big money teams like Wisconsin and ASu run over our program if I can help it.( i'm assuming you all have seen what Granato and his assistants make.)
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I'm glad we have a tough non con schedule, but man, it's a lot of away. I don't trust ND to actually show up in Houghton..
                              I doubt I'll go there because of the ref thing. I think ND gets breaks by the refs at almost all of their home games. it's a real travesty at times.
                              I watch a lot of ND hockey. If you think umich is arrogant, ND has them beat big time.
                              I know as well as anyone that it's completely natural and normal for people to hate Notre Dame, but I also think the Hockey East refs were a factor in the previous series, and probably will be again this coming year. They are known to call more ticky-tack stuff than their western colleagues.

And of course, there is also the possibility that we actually earned some of those penalties, but based on the reports of Tech fans who attended, I'll drink the Kool-aid and take their word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I know as well as anyone that it's completely natural and normal for people to hate Notre Dame, but I also think the Hockey East refs were a factor in the previous series, and probably will be again this coming year. They are known to call more ticky-tack stuff than their western colleagues.

And of course, there is also the possibility that we actually earned some of those penalties, but based on the reports of Tech fans who attended, I'll drink the Kool-aid and take their word for it.
                                Too bad they couldn't wait a year for the B1G refs. Then everyone would be beeching.
                                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Working...
                                X