PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

oldish husky
05-19-2016, 08:32 AM
There is no way that Mel would agree to play 8 road games after skipping on 2 games last season.

Maybe he's going for those road win bonus points to get into the tournament.

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Maybe he's going for those road win bonus points to get into the tournament.

It could also be regret over not having 2 more games last year...which with a little as a split, could have gotten them into the tournament.

oldish husky
05-19-2016, 08:48 AM
It could also be regret over not having 2 more games last year...which with a little as a split, could have gotten them into the tournament.

I thought I heard something about a tournament in South Bend. Might that be the ND game (and then some other team)?

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I thought I heard something about a tournament in South Bend. Might that be the ND game (and then some other team)?

It's possible they will be participating in the Shillelagh Tournament in South Bend, but I believe that's held Thanksgiving weekend and it was my understanding that MTU was doing the Double in Alaska over THanksgivign week again this year?

bigblue_dl
05-19-2016, 09:21 AM
It's possible they will be participating in the Shillelagh Tournament in South Bend, but I believe that's held Thanksgiving weekend and it was my understanding that MTU was doing the Double in Alaska over THanksgivign week again this year?

From what I can tell, in the schedule spreadsheet that FlagDude maintains, that tournament already has its 4 teams determined. Notre Dame, Holy Cross, Clarkson and Yale.

davyd83
05-19-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm sure they more regret not getting a win at home against Anchorage. Or a win in Grand Rapids against Ferris.

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm sure they more regret not getting a win at home against Anchorage. Or a win in Grand Rapids against Ferris.

f off

bigblue_dl
05-19-2016, 11:38 AM
f off

The dumbass from NMU always butts in. Even though he's usually wrong or just reposting the same thought he had 2 days earlier.

davyd83
05-19-2016, 12:52 PM
The dumbass from NMU always butts in. Even though he's usually wrong or just reposting the same thought he had 2 days earlier.

Hey pal, I was rooting for Tech long before you, been to more Tech games than you'll ever hope to see, and if they're aren't playing my alma mater, I'm always pulling for the Huskies. I hoped they would win Grand Rapids & make some noise in the NCAA. And please point out where my facts are incorrect.

davyd83
05-19-2016, 12:55 PM
f off

Funny, I've seen the Alaska point made several times. Oh and by the way, NMU would have been at home in the playoffs had they not lost 3 of four to the better team from Houghton. Instead, they got eliminated by the same team a week earlier.

Laker Dude
05-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Yeah, looks like Michigan, MI State, UMD and Notre Dame are the NC games next season. Wonder if any of them are coming to Houghton?
Ryan J

I am glad that Lake State and Tech did not end up agreeing to non-conference games against each other. It would be nice though if the league can find a way to have them play 4 conference games every year in the future.

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Just go back to the NMU thread, you annoy the chit out of me. If Mel is willing to play 8 NC road games this year, in condensed schedule due to the change in schedule, there is no reason he isn't kicking himself for not scheduling another series against SOMEONE somewhere last year. Yes, they should not have been swept by UAA at home, but there were at least 4 losses on the schedule that would have changed things for MTU's chances of making the tournament.

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 01:09 PM
MTU hockey plays ever weekend from the first weekend in October til playoffs start except the weekend before and the weekend of Christmas...yikes (edit, and Feb 17-18, still yikes).

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2016-17/schedule

@UMD, @Mich, @Mich State, GLI, @ND for NC this year...crazy

FadeToBlack&Gold
05-19-2016, 02:31 PM
When was the last time MTU played a 40-game regular season?

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
When was the last time MTU played a 40-game regular season?
idk, but they aren't this season...they could possibly do that next season.
88-89?
15-25-2 season including getting swept out of the WCHA playoffs.

giwan
05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Chance tMel will make a statement about the schedule soon? The NC games, team, Alaska, campus playoffs, team etc?

davyd83
05-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Just go back to the NMU thread, you annoy the chit out of me. If Mel is willing to play 8 NC road games this year, in condensed schedule due to the change in schedule, there is no reason he isn't kicking himself for not scheduling another series against SOMEONE somewhere last year. Yes, they should not have been swept by UAA at home, but there were at least 4 losses on the schedule that would have changed things for MTU's chances of making the tournament.
Who else was available to play on Tech's open weekends? How would they have fit into the schedule travel wise?

JohnsonsJerseys
05-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Well since the WCHA has pretty much made the playoffs inaccessible for traveling fans, I guess that frees me up to focus on regular season road games. My initial thoughts after looking at the schedule...

Would love to see Tech play at Michigan (hopefully Tech won't be going back for a long time and I've never been to Yost)
Second choice would be to get to the Norte Dame games (again another team Tech is not likely to play on the road for a while)
I missed out on the Alaska double last time and taking 3-4 four days of vacation for 10 days / 4 games in AK looks really appealing (if the weather can cooperate).
Bemidji and BGSU are still on my want list, but we play them so often they can afford to get bumped (again) to a future season
And there is always hope of a Frozen Four trip, but only if the Huskies are playing.

Ryan J

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Who else was available to play on Tech's open weekends? How would they have fit into the schedule travel wise?
Who knows, the only team (outside the WCHA) that played less than allowed was Army, but that doesn't mean MTU didn't have a choice to play AT someone's building and they ended up filling it with someone else.

Shirtless Guy
05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Well since the WCHA has pretty much made the playoffs inaccessible for traveling fans, I guess that frees me up to focus on regular season road games. My initial thoughts after looking at the schedule...

Would love to see Tech play at Michigan (hopefully Tech won't be going back for a long time and I've never been to Yost)
Second choice would be to get to the Norte Dame games (again another team Tech is not likely to play on the road for a while)
I missed out on the Alaska double last time and taking 3-4 four days of vacation for 10 days / 4 games in AK looks really appealing (if the weather can cooperate).
Bemidji and BGSU are still on my want list, but we play them so often they can afford to get bumped (again) to a future season
And there is always hope of a Frozen Four trip, but only if the Huskies are playing.

Ryan J

My interest is @Duluth (not as big a deal since they will be in Duluth in 2017), @Mankato, @Bemidji, @Notre Dame, and hosting Mankato...