Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Didn't he sign an NLI?
    I do believe that's the deciding factor as to whether he can go back cleanly or not. Maybe it's whether or not he enrolls in classes, though.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I do believe that's the deciding factor as to whether he can go back cleanly or not. Maybe it's whether or not he enrolls in classes, though.

GFM
      Well as RB said, we don't know what's going on other than he's not here and classes start monday. As a freshman he should have been here for orientation as well. The only question is where is he going to land.
      Having said that, I doubt they would do anything negative toward mr ford.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Well as RB said, we don't know what's going on other than he's not here and classes start monday. As a freshman he should have been here for orientation as well. The only question is where is he going to land.
        Having said that, I doubt they would do anything negative toward mr ford.
        True. He's 1996-05-30, so could it be that he'd play a 5th year in Dubuque? I checked their roster and didn't see anyone listed at all for this season. I think that he'd be good enough to be on their list of players who could be on the team at age 20.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          The main Hockey Roster page is still 15-16, but updating the website with 2016-17 has a roster on it.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...2016-17/roster

Obviously it's not official but some notes at this point.
          No Keegan Ford listed yet
          Todd Kiilunen is listed at D from Brighton, MI
          Patrick Anderson is listed, didn't he participate in the senior night last year?

Kiilunen is the grandson of Tech prof Don Daavettila (Nuclear Engineering) and long time time keeper for Tech home games. Big local connections! Good luck to him!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
            Kiilunen is the grandson of Tech prof Don Daavettila (Nuclear Engineering) and long time time keeper for Tech home games. Big local connections! Good luck to him!
            Does anyone know much about him?
            I found out a little: 5 11, 175, played two games for omaha in USHL in 2014 and went back to victory Honda last year. No other Jr hockey experience that I can find.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Didn't he sign an NLI?
              Yes, he signed an NLI with Michigan Tech.

Comment

Does anyone know much about him?
                I found out a little: 5 11, 175, played two games for omaha in USHL in 2014 and went back to victory Honda last year. No other Jr hockey experience that I can find.
                Eye4Talent must know something about Kiilunen. Found these posts from 7-30-13 and 5-6-14. I don't know how to incorporate old threads?

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on!
                from 7-30-13

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
                Anderson posted the rosters via Twitter. Most of the players were local, but Peyton Frantti, who was a freshman on Culver Military Academy's third team last season, also attended. I know Culver turns out some talent, but I don't know whether Frantti's assignment is any indication that he's worth watching. There were no freshmen on the first team and only four on the second team. (Peyton apparently did play a handful of games with the second team.) He's is a '97 birthday from River Hills, Wisconsin (suburban Milwaukee); 6'0", 143 lbs. His brother Connor was a senior on the first team last year, will likely play for the Muskegon Lumberjacks this year and has committed to Northern Michigan. For what it's worth, Peyton's tweets demonstrate affinity for the U.P.

Response from Eye4Talent:

Family connections in the U.P.... Michigan Tech and Mel did recruit Connor. He ultimately chose Northern Michigan in a tight race over Tech, Lake Superior and Notre Dame. If Peyton grows and develops like his brother, I think he will be on Tech's radar in the future. In looking at the camp rosters, Todd Kiilunen will be a future prospect as well.

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say from 5-6-14

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy
                The USHL futures draft is today. And while '98s are kinda far out for MTU, one interesting name popped up. Carver Watson was selected in the 2nd round by Sioux City. I'm pretty sure he's the younger brother of current husky Cliff and future husky Cooper ('96-Waterloo), all defensemen.

Response from Eye4Talent:

Another kid picked in the USHL futures draft by Omaha. Todd Kiilunen from Brighton. i'm guessing he'll be on the radar soon. Another Finn with lots of connections to Tech with family and friends.
                Last edited by rustedblades; 08-29-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Just looking at the roster...

Haven't analyzed it before but if Tech doesn't make a big push this season it may be a while before they have this kind of opportunity again. With 3 senior defensemen, Roy a Junior draftee, Birks a Sophmore draftee and Auk playing as well as he does there is a huge potential to lose the entire D-core after this season.

It is highly unlikely to lose all three underclassmen but not unlikely to lose 1 or even 2.

Can't imagine what 2017-18 will be like starting with Rienke, Kiilunen as the core. (Nothing against these 2) Almost seems like they would have to get 1 or both of these guys some meaningful playing time this year so they can contribute out of the gate next year.

Comment

Can't imagine what 2017-18 will be like starting with Rienke, Kiilunen as the core. (Nothing against these 2) Almost seems like they would have to get 1 or both of these guys some meaningful playing time this year so they can contribute out of the gate next year.
                    Don't look for Kiilunen to get any ice time this season. He's not ready for this level yet. He leveled off after showing promise as a younger player. i think he's an emergency option (probably invited walk on) with Ford not enrolling. Reinke will challenge for playing time this year.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Just looking at the roster...

Mitch Reinke is ready for college hockey. Matter of fact, he probably could have gone and played last season but came back to get physically stronger.

I dont have official numbers of ice time, but he was 1st pairing both years (and chewed up alot of minutes) he played here in CR. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Comment

Saw an interesting Tweet by Brad Schlossman today which sums up Tech hockey since I left campus in '98.
                        Total wins over five year spans:
                        96-01 -- 46
                        01-06 -- 41
                        06-11 -- 47
                        11-16 -- 95

So when we have a bad game or let one slip away, let's try to remember the big picture and where this program is at right now. I don't see any reason why that number couldn't be 120+ when we look back at 2016-21.
                        Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

One thing bothers me about this page...

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/index

Didn't we just win our 7th WCHA championship?
                          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                            Mitch Reinke is ready for college hockey. His hockey IQ is off the charts.
                            Saw Mitch play last year at the old Dane County Coliseum with CR against a MadCaps squad that included both Watson boys. Reinke was by far the strongest D on the ice that night for either team and he dominated the game. He'll hit the ground running at Tech. Tough news about Ford, but I think he belongs back at Wisconsin, close to family and the program he grew up wanting to play for. I think he would have only seen solid ice time as a senior at MTU....not a major loss but unfortunate that he didn't make the move as soon as Eaves was canned....Kiilunen seems like a last minute filler, but you never know....look at Vallis and Anderson...Mel and co built them into solid contenders for ice time.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about Reinke's senior year...look what happen the last 2 years with majority of d-men not upper class.

Not to mention the team has been heavily focused on defense. Lots of potential qualify committed for the next 3 season.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                                Didn't we just win our 7th WCHA championship?
                                I thought the same thing back in March. I looked into it at that time and our other MacNaughton Cup was for a playoff championship.

Here is what Wiki says:
                                MacNaughton Cups Won by Michigan Tech (outright or co-winner)
                                1961-62 WCHA Tourney (Tech also won the WCHA regular season)
                                1964-65 WCHA Tourney (UND won the regular season)

1965-66 WCHA Season (Cup is now awarded to regular season champ, how convenient)
                                1968-69 WCHA Season
                                1970-71 WCHA Season
                                1975-76 WCHA Season
                                2015-16 WCHA Season (shared)

So that's our 7th MacNaughton Cup, but only 6th WCHA regular season title.
                                But any graphics we do for the team should be with seven cups. ;-)

Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X