Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Where have any of those guys gone?
    One went to Minnesota State...
    Others that Tech might have been interested in went to Denver, Western Michigan, Minnesota State (Tri-City)
    Green Bay - Maine, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, BC, and Wisconsin
    Youngstown - Union and Yale
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      One went to Minnesota State...
      Others that Tech might have been interested in went to Denver, Western Michigan, Minnesota State (Tri-City)
      Green Bay - Maine, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, BC, and Wisconsin
      Youngstown - Union and Yale
      I can understand Q-pac, BC, Union, Yale, even MN State. Denver, OK sure. WMU and Wisconsin are a bit perplexing though, unless you're basing your decision solely on hotness and availability of chicks.

Comment

Here is something I find very interesting. Michigan Tech has 2 alums and a former assistant as head coaches in the USHL right now.

Pat Mikesch - Green Bay Gamblers (3rd year)
        Brad Patterson - Youngstown Phantoms (1st year)
        Bill Muckalt - Tri-City Storm (2nd year)

How is it that we still can't get a kid to commit to MTU at these teams after they've gotten to the USHL?

I know MTU was in on some of the guys but it is seriously frustrating.
        Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.
        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I can understand Q-pac, BC, Union, Yale, even MN State. Denver, OK sure. WMU and Wisconsin are a bit perplexing though, unless you're basing your decision solely on hotness and availability of chicks.
          If you haven't taken notice lately..times are a changing at Wisconsin when it comes to recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerHockey9 View Post
            If you haven't taken notice lately..times are a changing at Wisconsin when it comes to recruiting.
            I agree that times are changing for Wisconsin, but they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. Although I also like Wisconsin's new leadership, I think Tech is going to be the stronger program for at least a few more years. I see Wisconsin where Tech was 5 years ago. However, once Wisconsin gets rolling again, they'll easily outcompete Tech for most recruits just based on size and visibility. The question is how long it will take Wisconsin to get rolling again. I think they're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing Tech and Wisconsin play again.
            Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
              I agree that times are changing for Wisconsin, but they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. Although I also like Wisconsin's new leadership, I think Tech is going to be the stronger program for at least a few more years. I see Wisconsin where Tech was 5 years ago. However, once Wisconsin gets rolling again, they'll easily outcompete Tech for most recruits just based on size and visibility. The question is how long it will take Wisconsin to get rolling again. I think they're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing Tech and Wisconsin play again.
              They beat us out for a recruit before Eaves was even fired...Jack Becker.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                I think it's going to be a lot quicker than you think. Even though they won only 8 games last year (mainly underclassmen playing and Frosh goalie), they blew a lot of games late due to poor defense. Their recruiting for the next couple years has been top notch, especially on the defensive side. This coming year they are bringing in JD Greenway who was drafted 3rd round and next year they have 2 kids that are currently playing for NDTP program (Max Gildon and Tyler Inamoto). Plus it helps to have a defensive minded coach in Mark Osiecki. I would love to see Tech back on the Schedule too!

Comment

They beat us out for a recruit before Eaves was even fired...Jack Becker.
                  Towards the end there Eaves had recruited some good players and even when things were bad he had good recruits..... I agree with what has been said, It's going to be a battle for wisconsin to get back up to par, and Tech is going to have to have some more playoff appearances before recruits will be coming easier. I think it will be a gradual thing, and it's going to be a ton of real hard work on coach Shuchuk's part.
                  What I don't get is how some coaches who are either unproven or who are real jerks continue to get great players. Like ummm. Pecknold for instance.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    What I don't get is how some coaches who are either unproven or who are real jerks continue to get great players. Like ummm. Pecknold for instance.
                    Because they win. Bobby Knight was an arse, but he got results.

Comment

Some positive press for a recruit Tech did get! They spelled his name wrong but sounds like he's got some promise!

USA Hockey Select 16 Player Development Camp Player Rankings

28. Logan Pietella, Royal #17, Right Shot, 5'11"/160, Little Caesar's 16U (Michigan Tech) -€” He had just two goals, but he was a complete player who gave it his all in all three zones. He blocked shots in his own zone and he was fast in puck pursuit. He skated well and showed some signs of being able to possess the puck and get to the net.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...couting-report

Comment

tMel has repeatedly said he was not going anywhere and wished to finish out his career at MTU. in order for him to make the leap to Michigan he would have to go back on his word. Mel doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. not at all.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          Some positive press for a recruit Tech did get! They spelled his name wrong but sounds like he's got some promise!

USA Hockey Select 16 Player Development Camp Player Rankings

28. Logan Pietella, Royal #17, Right Shot, 5'11"/160, Little Caesar's 16U (Michigan Tech) -€” He had just two goals, but he was a complete player who gave it his all in all three zones. He blocked shots in his own zone and he was fast in puck pursuit. He skated well and showed some signs of being able to possess the puck and get to the net.

Speaking of Logan Pietilla and his brother Blake, I just saw this news about an accident they were involved in today...pretty scarey. Prayers are being sent their way.
                          http://fox8.com/2016/08/09/van-flips...hout-stopping/

Let's hope that they are OK along with the rest of their passengers. Based on the names of the 10 teens involved it sounds like they were all from the Michigan Tech hockey connection families from the Howell / Brighton area.
                          Last edited by Madison Husky; 08-09-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                            Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.
                            Exactly. Coaches talk to recruiters. They give a very honest and frank assessment of their kid. They give their kids their impression of their opportunities. It would do a USHL coach no good to get the reputation of trying to steer players to their alma mater or to their buddy's team. As soon as you do that, your integrity is compromised both with players and recruiters.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              But the know-it-all ******* from Marquette says differently!!!!

Its funny how he thinks he knows things we don't.
                              Never said you didn't know of the buyout. It's fairly accessible knowledge. It is a factor. But bigger factors are whether Mel would be UMs first choice and if he were, would he go? Neither one of those is a given.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                                Speaking of Logan Pietilla and his brother Blake, I just saw this news about an accident they were involved in today...pretty scarey. Prayers are being sent their way.
                                http://fox8.com/2016/08/09/van-flips...hout-stopping/

Let's hope that they are OK along with the rest of their passengers. Based on the names of the 10 teens involved it sounds like they were all from the Michigan Tech hockey connection families from the Howell / Brighton area.

Prayers to all families involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X