Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Granato is making roughly 500 at Wisconsin and we will have to come up to that level pretty soon, or risk being an also ran once again.

If you were the coach and someone, anyone, offered you double, you'd be foolish not to seriously consider it. Having said that, it certainly depends on the situation and Tech has been pretty darned good in the way they support the program and the support the community gives, but you can never say never, no matter who you are.
    I would put Tech at the very top in terms of support for the program in all of college hockey. I would doubt that jim Harbaugh is more recognized in AA than Coach Pearson is in the Copper Country.
    I'm not sure Wisconsin is the right way to look at things. They were in a crap hole and needed to get out...first I need to see other programs actually follow suit.
    Most of the top coaches are in the $300k area right now so we shall see.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      The "going back to Michigan" Scheiße needs to stop. I'll admit I was worried it was a stepping stone for the first contract, but now that he's signed a big extension with even bigger poison pills (which Michigan could pay, but they've now got the football rebirth and potentially Harbaugh's salary to fuss about), the fact is - Mel. Is. Not. Going. Back. In part thanks to Red's longevity and in part thanks to the (now departed) Dave Brandon. Not sure how else to drill that into the Yost Rowd...err, I mean Retards'...heads.
      I have to wonder if Mel would get frustrated if the WCHA becomes a one bid league. With so many non-conf road games and Mankato possibly leaving, it seems hard for the WCHA to compete and get a couple in the top 16 of the PWR routinely. If the only way Mel has a shot for his team to get to the NCAA and make noise is by winning the WCHA tournament, I'd think a place like Michigan could be attractive with a reasonable shot at winning his own NCAA championship as a head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Sorry, but you don't know that. I think it's highly unlikely since every year Red stays makes Mel another year older but who knows...I'm not really worried about anymore though because if it does happen, MTU has shown support and will hopefully continue to pony up 250k+ a year for s new coach...
        I agree, Mel isn't the only good hockey coach out there. Plenty of good candidates. Have to make sure they find the right one.

That being said, let's not put the cart before the horse. ha ha.
        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

We're in a position now where we have the best chance to win a regular and/or playoff championship. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see a move to another conference if the opportunity arises.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            I have to wonder if Mel would get frustrated if the WCHA becomes a one bid league. With so many non-conf road games and Mankato possibly leaving, it seems hard for the WCHA to compete and get a couple in the top 16 of the PWR routinely. If the only way Mel has a shot for his team to get to the NCAA and make noise is by winning the WCHA tournament, I'd think a place like Michigan could be attractive with a reasonable shot at winning his own NCAA championship as a head coach.
            Mel has a lengthy contract with a very heavy buyout clause.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Thanks alot captain obvious, do you really think that will stop Michigan if Mel is who they want? Not to mention, every year he stays, the buyout decreases...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I want to point out that every team with a good coach in the NCAA, with the possible exception of jerry York and Red, is susceptible to leaving. It's just a possibility,.... but I agree with shirtless, the odds are pretty strong he's staying.
                Now there are coaches who i'd say are likely to leave. Guys like Motzko, powers, Whats' his name at cc, a few others, these guys are good chances for various reasons to be moving. Just my opinion though.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Heavy buyout meaning? They just paid Arkansas $2 mill to cancel their football game.

I don't see Mel leaving unless other changes happen to the hockey program. ie not keeping up with support. Then again I never thought he'd come back MTU.

Comment

Thanks alot captain obvious, do you really think that will stop Michigan if Mel is who they want? Not to mention, every year he stays, the buyout decreases...
                    Agreed. A drop in the bucket for a school like Michigan. If they want Mel, that buyout is peanuts for them.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      Heavy buyout meaning? They just paid Arkansas $2 mill to cancel their football game.

I don't see Mel leaving unless other changes happen to the hockey program. ie not keeping up with support. Then again I never thought he'd come back MTU.
                      Mel's buyout is $250,000 from now until May 16, 2017. It decreases $50k every may until the contract expires:
                      http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/07/wc...5-2016-season/

I need to reread the deferred compensation piece because originally I thought the buyout basically shifted from the buyout side to deferred compensation that would be lost if he left early but I thought the last time I read the deferred compensation he got it like a year later...could be that the year later is when the interest starts accruing and he still doesn't get it if he leaves early. Either way, if Michigan really wants Mel whenever Red retires, I doubt $300k plus some interest is going to stop them.

Comment

Mel's buyout is $250,000 from now until May 16, 2017. It decreases $50k every may until the contract expires:
                        http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/07/wc...5-2016-season/

I need to reread the deferred compensation piece because originally I thought the buyout basically shifted from the buyout side to deferred compensation that would be lost if he left early but I thought the last time I read the deferred compensation he got it like a year later...could be that the year later is when the interest starts accruing and he still doesn't get it if he leaves early. Either way, if Michigan really wants Mel whenever Red retires, I doubt $300k plus some interest is going to stop them.
                        But the know-it-all ******* from Marquette says differently!!!!

Its funny how he thinks he knows things we don't.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Granato is making roughly 500 at Wisconsin...
                          One also needs to keep in mind that three coaches all getting paid $250 in let's say Houghton, Madison and Denver are earning DRASTICALLY different take home pay. Do they even build $250k homes in Houghton? I think there is a good change you could buy an entire block in Hancock for $250k. Can you even find a home under $250k in Denver? When you're talking that kind of money, where you earn it is huge factor in what it is really worth.
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            One also needs to keep in mind that three coaches all getting paid $250 in let's say Houghton, Madison and Denver are earning DRASTICALLY different take home pay. Do they even build $250k homes in Houghton? I think there is a good change you could buy an entire block in Hancock for $250k. Can you even find a home under $250k in Denver? When you're talking that kind of money, where you earn it is huge factor in what it is really worth.
                            Ryan J
                            In West Houghton, where they built those colonials in the 80s for rich MTU profs, maybe. And there's one historic section of Hancock - it's right above the bridge - where the doctors, lawyers, and other higher-ups lived. Maybe there as well.

And the fancypants, modern condos they built on the Portage lakefront.

That's about it for "expensive" housing.

Comment

Here is something I find very interesting. Michigan Tech has 2 alums and a former assistant as head coaches in the USHL right now.

Pat Mikesch - Green Bay Gamblers (3rd year)
                              Brad Patterson - Youngstown Phantoms (1st year)
                              Bill Muckalt - Tri-City Storm (2nd year)

How is it that we still can't get a kid to commit to MTU at these teams after they've gotten to the USHL?

I know MTU was in on some of the guys but it is seriously frustrating.

Comment

Here is something I find very interesting. Michigan Tech has 2 alums and a former assistant as head coaches in the USHL right now.
                                Pat Mikesch - Green Bay Gamblers (3rd year)
                                Brad Patterson - Youngstown Phantoms (1st year)
                                Bill Muckalt - Tri-City Storm (2nd year)
                                How is it that we still can't get a kid to commit to MTU at these teams after they've gotten to the USHL?
                                I know MTU was in on some of the guys but it is seriously frustrating.
                                Where have any of those guys gone?

Comment

Working...
                                X