Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I stayed at the Downtowner Inn once in high school, on a snowmobile trip with friends. Sounds the same as the one you mentioned.
    I remember A LOT of dark wood paneling, and shag carpets of questionable cleanliness. Plus a TV that was only about 30", in one corner of the room. IIRC, it had the classic faux-wood bezel, and it must've weighed 100+ lbs. It had flat-button controls, and either no remote, or a very old infrared one.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I remember A LOT of dark wood paneling, and shag carpets of questionable cleanliness. Plus a TV that was only about 30", in one corner of the room. IIRC, it had the classic faux-wood bezel, and it must've weighed 100+ lbs. It had flat-button controls, and either no remote, or a very old infrared one.
      Downtowner = Double Bubble, that's all you need to know and do

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Downtowner = Double Bubble, that's all you need to know and do
        Oh c'mon, I never actually stayed at the College or the DT Motel. I was (a bit too) familiar with Friday Double Bubble and Thursday Pitchers in my day.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I can't believe that place was still worth renovating. I figured they would have burned it to the ground to build something else. I guess I'll take it as a badge of honor I got to stay at it the last year it was still the original dump (2016 playoffs weekend). I wonder if they retained the multi-level suite guest room with the rock wall? I got that room for a career fair trip once. Compared to the rest of the hotel it was a palace. Compared to any other hotel, even that room was still pretty dumpy.

Ryan
          Going from the pool to the room was quite nasty on a cold winter day!
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Ha! Yep, that sounds exactly right!
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So Michigan Tech has thus far reported that NINE current players are or have attended NHL camps, including all 6 defensemen on the team listed over 5'9" tall.

Only 3 forwards is surprising (L'Esperance, Jackson, Lucchini), with Sturos (attended 2015 LAK camp), Heinonen, Neville, and Steman absent.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So any word on Vallis as of yet.

My guess for the early part of the season is that we will be playing 5 lines at home on a weekend with Anderson and Blacklock getting a shot at being regulars.
                The same goes for the 3rd pair D. Ford and Reinke will play for Birks intermittently if he cannot keep a strangle hold on his spot.

I think Jake Lucchini is going to increase his point total beyond 30 points. I hope to be at both the UM and MSU series this year. Going to be interesting how that first 10 games shakes out.

Who do you think is better for Lucchini's wingers to round out the top 6

Baltus and Sturos
                Jackson and Gillies
                Baltus and Jackson
                Baltus and Gillies
                Last edited by Huskiefan906; 07-17-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I'd pick Baltus and Jackson as wingers for Jake Lucchini if your listed forwards were the only options. In re Max Vallis, I doubt they'd bring in Erik Pedersen if he was staying another year!

Comment

Does anybody in this thread know the name Jake Kauppila? He originally committed to MTU when he was 16 back in 2012... I think he was supposed to join the team for the 13/14 season but I guess he never panned out? He's committed to Bentley for next year and I'm just trying to get a little bit of background and figure out what happened...

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                      Does anybody in this thread know the name Jake Kauppila? He originally committed to MTU when he was 16 back in 2012... I think he was supposed to join the team for the 13/14 season but I guess he never panned out? He's committed to Bentley for next year and I'm just trying to get a little bit of background and figure out what happened...
                      He, Trevor Cope (AIC), and Demico Hannoun (NMU) all committed at some point but things didn't work out. I interviewed Jake a long time ago when he was Team Illinois. I think it was just a matter of not developing and better options coming up.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

ASU has announced that the Desert Hockey classic will be held in Prescott AZ. I'm wondering who the he** is going to drive way up to Prescott for hockey games. It's home to Northern AZ Univ, but other than that population is 39,000. Nuts if you ask me.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          ASU has announced that the Desert Hockey classic will be held in Prescott AZ. I'm wondering who the he** is going to drive way up to Prescott for hockey games. It's home to Northern AZ Univ, but other than that population is 39,000. Nuts if you ask me.
                          Embry West grads?

"Did you know I went to school here...ya, at Embry. Did I mention I went to Embry? Embry is the Harvard of flight schools, dontcha know?"

Comment

Embry West grads?

"Did you know I went to school here...ya, at Embry. Did I mention I went to Embry? Embry is the Harvard of flight schools, dontcha know?"
                            I keep hearing that.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I keep hearing that.
                              I have a cousin who went to the original campus in Daytona (he is now ATC at PTK), and there was a time when I was thinking about flight school myself. I know how it goes.

Comment

ERAU = good for pilots, bad for real aerospace engineering.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X