PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Shirtless Guy
08-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Mel has a lengthy contract with a very heavy buyout clause.Thanks alot captain obvious, do you really think that will stop Michigan if Mel is who they want? Not to mention, every year he stays, the buyout decreases...

manurespreader
08-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I want to point out that every team with a good coach in the NCAA, with the possible exception of jerry York and Red, is susceptible to leaving. It's just a possibility,.... but I agree with shirtless, the odds are pretty strong he's staying.
Now there are coaches who i'd say are likely to leave. Guys like Motzko, powers, Whats' his name at cc, a few others, these guys are good chances for various reasons to be moving. Just my opinion though.

giwan
08-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Mel has a lengthy contract with a very heavy buyout clause.

Heavy buyout meaning? They just paid Arkansas $2 mill to cancel their football game.

I don't see Mel leaving unless other changes happen to the hockey program. ie not keeping up with support. Then again I never thought he'd come back MTU.

eye4talent
08-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks alot captain obvious, do you really think that will stop Michigan if Mel is who they want? Not to mention, every year he stays, the buyout decreases...

Agreed. A drop in the bucket for a school like Michigan. If they want Mel, that buyout is peanuts for them.

Shirtless Guy
08-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Heavy buyout meaning? They just paid Arkansas $2 mill to cancel their football game.

I don't see Mel leaving unless other changes happen to the hockey program. ie not keeping up with support. Then again I never thought he'd come back MTU.

Mel's buyout is $250,000 from now until May 16, 2017. It decreases $50k every may until the contract expires:
http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/07/wcha-coachs-contracts-for-2015-2016-season/

I need to reread the deferred compensation piece because originally I thought the buyout basically shifted from the buyout side to deferred compensation that would be lost if he left early but I thought the last time I read the deferred compensation he got it like a year later...could be that the year later is when the interest starts accruing and he still doesn't get it if he leaves early. Either way, if Michigan really wants Mel whenever Red retires, I doubt $300k plus some interest is going to stop them.

bigblue_dl
08-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Mel's buyout is $250,000 from now until May 16, 2017. It decreases $50k every may until the contract expires:
http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/07/wcha-coachs-contracts-for-2015-2016-season/

I need to reread the deferred compensation piece because originally I thought the buyout basically shifted from the buyout side to deferred compensation that would be lost if he left early but I thought the last time I read the deferred compensation he got it like a year later...could be that the year later is when the interest starts accruing and he still doesn't get it if he leaves early. Either way, if Michigan really wants Mel whenever Red retires, I doubt $300k plus some interest is going to stop them.

But the know-it-all ******* from Marquette says differently!!!! :rolleyes:

Its funny how he thinks he knows things we don't.

JohnsonsJerseys
08-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Granato is making roughly 500 at Wisconsin...One also needs to keep in mind that three coaches all getting paid $250 in let's say Houghton, Madison and Denver are earning DRASTICALLY different take home pay. Do they even build $250k homes in Houghton? I think there is a good change you could buy an entire block in Hancock for $250k. Can you even find a home under $250k in Denver? When you're talking that kind of money, where you earn it is huge factor in what it is really worth.
Ryan J

FadeToBlack&Gold
08-03-2016, 08:19 PM
One also needs to keep in mind that three coaches all getting paid $250 in let's say Houghton, Madison and Denver are earning DRASTICALLY different take home pay. Do they even build $250k homes in Houghton? I think there is a good change you could buy an entire block in Hancock for $250k. Can you even find a home under $250k in Denver? When you're talking that kind of money, where you earn it is huge factor in what it is really worth.
Ryan J

In West Houghton, where they built those colonials in the 80s for rich MTU profs, maybe. And there's one historic section of Hancock - it's right above the bridge - where the doctors, lawyers, and other higher-ups lived. Maybe there as well.

And the fancypants, modern condos they built on the Portage lakefront.

That's about it for "expensive" housing.

Shirtless Guy
08-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Here is something I find very interesting. Michigan Tech has 2 alums and a former assistant as head coaches in the USHL right now.

Pat Mikesch - Green Bay Gamblers (3rd year)
Brad Patterson - Youngstown Phantoms (1st year)
Bill Muckalt - Tri-City Storm (2nd year)

How is it that we still can't get a kid to commit to MTU at these teams after they've gotten to the USHL?

I know MTU was in on some of the guys but it is seriously frustrating.

giwan
08-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Here is something I find very interesting. Michigan Tech has 2 alums and a former assistant as head coaches in the USHL right now.
How is it that we still can't get a kid to commit to MTU at these teams after they've gotten to the USHL?

Where have any of those guys gone?

Shirtless Guy
08-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Where have any of those guys gone?

One went to Minnesota State...
Others that Tech might have been interested in went to Denver, Western Michigan, Minnesota State (Tri-City)
Green Bay - Maine, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, BC, and Wisconsin
Youngstown - Union and Yale

FadeToBlack&Gold
08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
One went to Minnesota State...
Others that Tech might have been interested in went to Denver, Western Michigan, Minnesota State (Tri-City)
Green Bay - Maine, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, BC, and Wisconsin
Youngstown - Union and Yale

I can understand Q-pac, BC, Union, Yale, even MN State. Denver, OK sure. WMU and Wisconsin are a bit perplexing though, unless you're basing your decision solely on hotness and availability of chicks. ;)

eye4talent
08-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.

BadgerHockey9
08-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I can understand Q-pac, BC, Union, Yale, even MN State. Denver, OK sure. WMU and Wisconsin are a bit perplexing though, unless you're basing your decision solely on hotness and availability of chicks. ;)

If you haven't taken notice lately..times are a changing at Wisconsin when it comes to recruiting.

UpNorthHockey
08-05-2016, 01:18 PM
If you haven't taken notice lately..times are a changing at Wisconsin when it comes to recruiting.
I agree that times are changing for Wisconsin, but they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. Although I also like Wisconsin's new leadership, I think Tech is going to be the stronger program for at least a few more years. I see Wisconsin where Tech was 5 years ago. However, once Wisconsin gets rolling again, they'll easily outcompete Tech for most recruits just based on size and visibility. The question is how long it will take Wisconsin to get rolling again. I think they're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing Tech and Wisconsin play again.

Shirtless Guy
08-05-2016, 01:22 PM
I agree that times are changing for Wisconsin, but they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. Although I also like Wisconsin's new leadership, I think Tech is going to be the stronger program for at least a few more years. I see Wisconsin where Tech was 5 years ago. However, once Wisconsin gets rolling again, they'll easily outcompete Tech for most recruits just based on size and visibility. The question is how long it will take Wisconsin to get rolling again. I think they're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing Tech and Wisconsin play again.

They beat us out for a recruit before Eaves was even fired...Jack Becker.

BadgerHockey9
08-05-2016, 01:32 PM

I think it's going to be a lot quicker than you think. Even though they won only 8 games last year (mainly underclassmen playing and Frosh goalie), they blew a lot of games late due to poor defense. Their recruiting for the next couple years has been top notch, especially on the defensive side. This coming year they are bringing in JD Greenway who was drafted 3rd round and next year they have 2 kids that are currently playing for NDTP program (Max Gildon and Tyler Inamoto). Plus it helps to have a defensive minded coach in Mark Osiecki. I would love to see Tech back on the Schedule too!

manurespreader
08-05-2016, 01:37 PM
They beat us out for a recruit before Eaves was even fired...Jack Becker.
Towards the end there Eaves had recruited some good players and even when things were bad he had good recruits..... I agree with what has been said, It's going to be a battle for wisconsin to get back up to par, and Tech is going to have to have some more playoff appearances before recruits will be coming easier. I think it will be a gradual thing, and it's going to be a ton of real hard work on coach Shuchuk's part.
What I don't get is how some coaches who are either unproven or who are real jerks continue to get great players. Like ummm. Pecknold for instance.

FadeToBlack&Gold
08-05-2016, 02:41 PM
What I don't get is how some coaches who are either unproven or who are real jerks continue to get great players. Like ummm. Pecknold for instance.

Because they win. Bobby Knight was an arse, but he got results.

rustedblades
08-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Some positive press for a recruit Tech did get! They spelled his name wrong but sounds like he's got some promise!

USA Hockey Select 16 Player Development Camp Player Rankings

28. Logan Pietella, Royal #17, Right Shot, 5'11"/160, Little Caesar's 16U (Michigan Tech) -€” He had just two goals, but he was a complete player who gave it his all in all three zones. He blocked shots in his own zone and he was fast in puck pursuit. He skated well and showed some signs of being able to possess the puck and get to the net.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2016/8/5/12199290/usa-hockey-select-16-player-development-camp-rankings-five-nations-tournament-scouting-report