Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

I thought Pheonix Copley would be getting a shot this year in St. Louis with the Elliott trade. curious, why with two young goalies in waiting in the system, they signed a career backup, Hutton. We will see if Copley can win that job despite the added competition.
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 07-02-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      I thought Pheonix Copley would be getting a shot this year in St. Louis with the Elliott trade. curious, why with two young goalies in waiting in the system, they signed a career backup, Hutton. We will see if Copley can win that job despite the added competition.
      Hutton .919 NHL save %, over 70 NHL games, Copley .909 sv%, 1 NHL game. Copley is not currently under contract.
      Last edited by davyd83; 07-02-2016, 03:13 PM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
        Many of the teams have not announced their camp rosters yet. I see that Joel L'Esperance is on the camp roster that was just announced for the Anaheim Ducks.
        Hopefully we see more of this from Lesperance this season!

Comment

top line this year
          Heinonen Steman L'Esperance
          At least 1 first teamer on this line if not 2-3.

Comment

Barring significant injuries, I don't think the offense can be that much worse than last year, if at all (and it was still pretty good). The elephant in the room is obviously how quickly we settle on a goaltender. Mel has been averse to tandems (so is Red, with a few exceptions), and I tend to agree. But considering we had this same question 2 years ago when Phillips answered the call, somehow I don't think it's as big of a question mark as the rest of the teams in the league are hoping it is.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Barring significant injuries, I don't think the offense can be that much worse than last year, if at all (and it was still pretty good). The elephant in the room is obviously how quickly we settle on a goaltender. Mel has been averse to tandems (so is Red, with a few exceptions), and I tend to agree. But considering we had this same question 2 years ago when Phillips answered the call, somehow I don't think it's as big of a question mark as the rest of the teams in the league are hoping it is.
              Oh, we all hope your new goalie is Herb Hoover.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

The elephant in the room is obviously how quickly we settle on a goaltender.
                Hey, I say if we are lucky enough to have an elephant in the room, we just go with it. He's going to cover the net well even if he is a little slow to the trunk side. And if we can teach him to butterfly... oh my, NCAA championship here we come!

If the elephant doesn't work out, we could always see if Jacques Grande has any NCAA eligibility left.
                Now for breakfast... leftover Quebec pizza from last night (Pop-Tart with the ketchup).

Ryan J

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-06-2016, 08:11 AM.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Hey, I say if we are lucky enough to have an elephant in the room, we just go with it. He's going to cover the net well even if he is a little slow to the trunk side. And if we can teach him to butterfly... oh my, NCAA championship here we come!

If the elephant doesn't work out, we could always see if Jacques Grande has any NCAA eligibility left.
                  Now for breakfast... leftover Quebec pizza from last night (Pop-Tart with the ketchup).

Ryan J

That reminds me, I think it was here where I saw that the non hockey countries want to know why, when we are shorthanded, we don't just take all 5 players and stuff the net. no one would score for sure.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    That reminds me, I think it was here where I saw that the non hockey countries want to know why, when we are shorthanded, we don't just take all 5 players and stuff the net. no one would score for sure.
                    You mean those soccer playing countries that form a wall to block the ball and then move out of the way? Ouch

Another subject: Had the pleasure of recently seeing the classic Puck guy all dressed up. Has that fully vanished at the Tech games?

In the past I had a friend that would be the Puck at games. He always complained about not being able to see out of it well and the noise when the players hit his costume. Never complained about the few bucks he got to go to the bar with.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      You mean those soccer playing countries that form a wall to block the ball and then move out of the way? Ouch

Just put in all three goalies and a couple of place fillers that have already lost their teeth, then you should be good right
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

There are now pictures posted on the website for the new Quality Inn in Houghton (the old Travelodge), and from the pictures, it sure looks like they've improved the place a bunch. It used to be a dump, but now the lobby, and the rooms all look quite nice.

https://www.choicehotels.com/michiga...n-hotels/mi472
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          There are now pictures posted on the website for the new Quality Inn in Houghton (the old Travelodge), and from the pictures, it sure looks like they've improved the place a bunch. It used to be a dump, but now the lobby, and the rooms all look quite nice.

https://www.choicehotels.com/michiga...n-hotels/mi472
                          And the price went up by 50 bucks per night too.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I can't believe that place was still worth renovating. I figured they would have burned it to the ground to build something else. I guess I'll take it as a badge of honor I got to stay at it the last year it was still the original dump (2016 playoffs weekend). I wonder if they retained the multi-level suite guest room with the rock wall? I got that room for a career fair trip once. Compared to the rest of the hotel it was a palace. Compared to any other hotel, even that room was still pretty dumpy.

Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

You haven't seen an actual dumpy motel in Houghton unless you (or your parents) ever stayed at the classic College Motel, right at the foot of campus. Where there is now an expensive apartment complex for kids with rich dads.

The decor was straight out of the 70s, including the TVs. And that was in 2005, just a few years before it was razed.

Comment

You haven't seen an actual dumpy motel in Houghton unless you (or your parents) ever stayed at the classic College Motel, right at the foot of campus. Where there is now an expensive apartment complex for kids with rich dads.

The decor was straight out of the 70s, including the TVs. And that was in 2005, just a few years before it was razed.
                                I stayed at the Downtowner Inn once in high school, on a snowmobile trip with friends. Sounds the same as the one you mentioned.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X