Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Well it is too bad to see him leave, but he'll get plenty of playing time out there. U-Mass is currently a dumpster fire. Michigan Tech pre-Mel could have beaten the teams U-Mass has put on the ice the last couple years.
    Ryan J
    Hope he enjoys those 6 wins per year.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      He had USHL eligibility, so he could drop back to Tier I and play hockey while making a choice about where to play varsity hockey next. You see this a few times a year.

GFM <— kinda hoped that UAH would pick him up
      Yeah, its the same thing Keegan Ford did...left wisconsin, went back to USHL, committed to MTU.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Yeah, its the same thing Keegan Ford did...left wisconsin, went back to USHL, committed to MTU.
        Is Ford slated to come in this year?

Unless he is an absolute star he may be facing some tough sledding to break the line up. (unless someone leaves for the pros prior to the start of the season) If he was unhappy in WI because of playing time he might want to spend another year in the USHL. If he comes in this year it is definitely going to create some competition which is great for the team. Hate to see one of the existing guys end up like WH did this past season however.

If all 4 of these D men come in there are definitely going to be some unhappy campers. (Pehrson, Watson, Reinke, Ford)

I think now a days everyone coming in thinks they should play every game. It is going to be a very interesting season from a defenseman's standpoint.

I believe 3 of them (Watson, Reinke, Ford) can play another year of Juniors. Pehrson can play another 2, maybe 3.

Drop the puck already!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
          Is Ford slated to come in this year?

Unless he is an absolute star he may be facing some tough sledding to break the line up. (unless someone leaves for the pros prior to the start of the season) If he was unhappy in WI because of playing time he might want to spend another year in the USHL. If he comes in this year it is definitely going to create some competition which is great for the team. Hate to see one of the existing guys end up like WH did this past season however.

If all 4 of these D men come in there are definitely going to be some unhappy campers. (Pehrson, Watson, Reinke, Ford)

I think now a days everyone coming in thinks they should play every game. It is going to be a very interesting season from a defenseman's standpoint.

I believe 3 of them (Watson, Reinke, Ford) can play another year of Juniors. Pehrson can play another 2, maybe 3.

Drop the puck already!
          Ford is definitely coming in, while he could play another year of juniors, his clock has started so it would cost him a year of eligibility. I have Watson, Reinke and Ford penciled in for 2016-17.

Pearson has typically had 9 or more d-men on the team in a given year, with 8 the minimum in 2015 and 2012. Have to have depth in case of injuries. It will be interesting to see what the young guys can do when there are 6 very good d-men returning (unless we have some departures?).

If I have the next 3 years pegged, MTU will have at least 9 d-men on the team until at least 2019-20, thats without figuring out Travis Brown...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

A special Mel Pearson Show announced for Monday 6/20

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20160614dbdt2o

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I may have called the Monte a ****ing dive before, but that's not a bad thing. I don't mind dive bars, but the Monte is most definitely a dive.

I only get to Houghton once, maybe twice a year, and that is to recruit. The last time I was there, in April, was the rare time I was in Houghton by myself, and didn't have anything going on in the evening. But was only in town for 1 day.
              I could resent that remark. sure, you've trolled Houghton and Hancock, but have you hit the North end? the Drift Inn? Randy's, Vansville, Cliff View? you're talking out of your league, boy. ever been to the the former "after hours" bar in Eagle River? I'd like to throw in a couple Copper Harbor ones, but they are pretty classy.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                I could resent that remark. sure, you've trolled Houghton and Hancock, but have you hit the North end? the Drift Inn? Randy's, Vansville, Cliff View? you're talking out of your league, boy. ever been to the the former "after hours" bar in Eagle River? I'd like to throw in a couple Copper Harbor ones, but they are pretty classy.
                Been to Randy's and Cliff View. And I didn't say that dive bars are bad, I don't have a problem with them. Dive bars are just a specific type of bar, IMO, and they can be a very fun time. As I get older, I find I loke dives more and more, as long as they have more beer selection than macro garbage. Thats usually not an issue in the Keweenaw since they all usually get a few cans of KBC.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Been to Randy's and Cliff View. And I didn't say that dive bars are bad, I don't have a problem with them. Dive bars are just a specific type of bar, IMO, and they can be a very fun time. As I get older, I find I loke dives more and more, as long as they have more beer selection than macro garbage. Thats usually not an issue in the Keweenaw since they all usually get a few cans of KBC.
                  yeah, I pretty much love the dives. the old Eagle River after hours was great. there was an actual old bar and a pool table. the bathroom was a different house next door. it had a door, but the door wasn't mounted. you went in, move the door as best you could or brought a girlfriend with you did you business and hollered if you heard some one else coming in. the cliental (I think) was swept up from the other bars in the areas closing. ah the ... days. always fond of Randy's , free popcorn, poppers, Red Wings usually on and the old pics. we chased the Huskies around most of the country and I must say Randys was one of my fav post games. but can understand the students staying in the Ho-Ha area since that was where they lived. we were heading up North anyway, so Randy's, Vanville, etc made good stopping points.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Some year, I'm coming up and drinking with you lot when UAH is in town. Sadly, that won't be this year — I'll have just gotten back from a delayed honeymoon in Iceland!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      yeah, I pretty much love the dives. the old Eagle River after hours was great. there was an actual old bar and a pool table. the bathroom was a different house next door. it had a door, but the door wasn't mounted. you went in, move the door as best you could or brought a girlfriend with you did you business and hollered if you heard some one else coming in. the cliental (I think) was swept up from the other bars in the areas closing. ah the ... days. always fond of Randy's , free popcorn, poppers, Red Wings usually on and the old pics. we chased the Huskies around most of the country and I must say Randys was one of my fav post games. but can understand the students staying in the Ho-Ha area since that was where they lived. we were heading up North anyway, so Randy's, Vanville, etc made good stopping points.
                      I love dive bars. I remember Pitchitino's in Calumet after an evening of rat shooting at the dump was fantastic,( a 10 oz draft was 10 cents) and there was a bar in South Range I particularly liked, though I have no idea what the name of it was. Plus of course the gay bar but I didn't go there very often.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        I love dive bars. I remember Pitchitino's in Calumet after an evening of rat shooting at the dump was fantastic,( a 10 oz draft was 10 cents) and there was a bar in South Range I particularly liked, though I have no idea what the name of it was. Plus of course the gay bar but I didn't go there very often.
                        the gay bar remains awesome. they have gone to a hot dog menu. they must have 50-60 different kind of hot dogs. love the gay parade on the 4th.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

So most important info from today's Mel Pearson Show:
                          D - Keegan Ford (3 years eligibility)
                          D - Mitch Reinke
                          G - Angus Redmond
                          F - Raymond Brice
                          F - Thomas Beretta
                          F - Gavin Gould
                          F - Chris Gerrie
                          F - Alex Smith
                          F - Erik Pederson

So Cooper Watson will get another year of seasoning, which makes sense with the quality of d-men and the fact that with Reinke and Ford, the Huskies will have 8.

Comment

Big surprise here:
                            Little Caesar's U16 '00 D Logan Pietila has committed to Michigan Tech.

EDIT:
                            AND Michigan Tech scores big, landing a commitment from twin brothers Logan ('00 F) and Blake (00 'G) Pietila out of Detroit Little Caesars U16.

Comment

Anyone have a link to this morning's Mel Pearson Show?
                              I didn't see anything on Tech's athletic website.
                              I missed it this morning.
                              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

When Mel said he had to leave because a couple of recruits were in town, he said something to the effect that there was one dad on the trip as well. With twins committing, now we know who was in Houghton today I'd say.

Here are a few others notes I had this morning.

Mel P show notes from today 6/20:
                                Team is here working out, get feedback from Shelast, including Ray Brice because he's local
                                Staff have been in rink, USHL camps, NAHL camps, USNDP camp
                                Ice is back in, a little early this year, thanks to athletic department, allows guys to skate prior to heading to NHL camps

Still waiting on word of Vallis eligibility from NCAA

Questions:
                                19 day break after BG in December, looking for an opponent?
                                No, a lot of travel before that. Thought about looking for a home game, but finals week.
                                Thought about Canadian exhibition and USNTDP, but decided on just relax.

What are 2 or 3 key points for prep for next season:
                                Mental/physical prep will be huge with playing UMD right away.
                                Rock solid D, until we figure out our offense after losing Petan/Gould.
                                Neville/Steman will add at center with faceoffs, Blacklock/E. Anderson, Luchini, plus Alex Smith's strength is faceoff.

NHL Camps, Draft Friday:
                                10-12 players going to camps

Comment

Working...
                                X