Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2016 Off-Season Thread

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
    Still if I was that talented, I would prefer being the big man on campus compared to the small fish at a place like BC
    Tough situation for the player. Probably has a full ride at UVM and when he signed the LOI, nobody was coming calling. Now, as he is likely to be drafted, he may be able to get equal treatment or close to it, at a well regarded hockey school like BU, BC, Michigan or North Dakota. He definitely should honor his commitment. That said, the horribly basic style of play employed by the UVM coaching staff will do nothing to advance his learning curve. Being told to dump it in himself, and having his linemates dump it in does not a puck possession team make. Puck possession leads to goals and Colton wants to get some so he can ultimately be signed. Having the D bank it off the glass as the breakout strategy adds to the lack of puck possession as well. He should honor the commitment but when can the coaching staff actually start to coach and not just put players on the ice. The players who are there seem to have mainly given up on the team and perhaps that is getting out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
      The players who are there seem to have mainly given up on the team and perhaps that is getting out as well.
      I think that the freshmen still have some promise and 'might' be able to get the coaching to open up the play a bit. There is some puck possession guys (Puffer, Coughlin) and some speed (O'neil, Lee) and some size (Bowen, Kearley) and young goalie who can see some shots.

I am not ready to give up on them yet. Also the Mario, Bradley, Shaw types seem like they want to get the offense going. Hope the new recruits push it as well...

Still excited.....GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
        I think that the freshmen still have some promise and 'might' be able to get the coaching to open up the play a bit. There is some puck possession guys (Puffer, Coughlin) and some speed (O'neil, Lee) and some size (Bowen, Kearley) and young goalie who can see some shots.

I am not ready to give up on them yet. Also the Mario, Bradley, Shaw types seem like they want to get the offense going. Hope the new recruits push it as well...

Still excited.....GO CATS GO!
        I have not given up on them either, just saying what I feel and what I hear.
        However, Lee is probably the second slowest defenseman on the team next to Kearley and Kearley has size but can't skate. If we were looking for Lee and Kearley to lead us to the semis, it will be a long wait. With 10 D next year, they should be struggling to be in the top 6, although the coaches seem to give Lee an awfully long leash.

Comment

I have not given up on them either, just saying what I feel and what I hear.
          However, Lee is probably the second slowest defenseman on the team next to Kearley and Kearley has size but can't skate. If we were looking for Lee and Kearley to lead us to the semis, it will be a long wait. With 10 D next year, they should be struggling to be in the top 6, although the coaches seem to give Lee an awfully long leash.
          The staff loves Lee. He is a prized recruit. Not saying it is right, but there is no way he is not playing top 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
            The staff loves Lee. He is a prized recruit. Not saying it is right, but there is no way he is not playing top 6.
            I agree 100%. He may even be in the top pair. He is slow, undersized (not a good combo), and as an offensive force had 3 points last year while playing on every power play and taking a regular shift on the pp and pk.
            I think it is a case of showcasing your favorite, whether he is the best or not. I don't think he would play over Phillips, Hamilton, Abramson, Ferguson or even Muscoby if it was on merit alone.

Comment

I agree 100%. He may even be in the top pair. He is slow, undersized (not a good combo), and as an offensive force had 3 points last year while playing on every power play and taking a regular shift on the pp and pk.
              I think it is a case of showcasing your favorite, whether he is the best or not. I don't think he would play over Phillips, Hamilton, Abramson, Ferguson or even Muscoby if it was on merit alone.
              Better said +1

Comment

Former UMass recruit heading to UVM.

Over The Boards ‏@OverTheBoards
                97 D Jake Massie (USHL Omaha) commits to Vermont. Cats get an athletic, tough-to-play against LD, 6th rd NHL pick in '15. Was UMass recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  Former UMass recruit heading to UVM.

Over The Boards ‏@OverTheBoards
                  97 D Jake Massie (USHL Omaha) commits to Vermont. Cats get an athletic, tough-to-play against LD, 6th rd NHL pick in '15. Was UMass recruit.
                  Wow,that could be good news. Is he coming this year? If he is tough to play against as a LD he would be a good shutdown match with Abramson.
                  Only question is with him coming it makes 11 D. Lot of unhappy players.

Comment

Wow,that could be good news. Is he coming this year? If he is tough to play against as a LD he would be a good shutdown match with Abramson.
                    Only question is with him coming it makes 11 D. Lot of unhappy players.
                    FYI, he'll be joining the team "in September."
                    http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...mass/83420220/

Comment

Hopefully he turns out to be a good pick up. Sounds like he has good potential but needs some coaching and while we can all agree our offense doesn't seem to progress much, I do think Sneddon does a good job on the defensive side of things. Ryan Gunderson comes to mind who scared me a lot as a F/S but as a junior and senior was as solid of defensive guy as I can think of.
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Just passing this along ...

Hope it's nothing serious for the young man.

@WCAX_Fleish
                        Breaking per @UVMmhockey Goalie
                        Packy Munson will be leaving the men’s hockey program due to family/personal reasons.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          Just passing this along ...

Hope it's nothing serious for the young man.

@WCAX_Fleish
                          Breaking per @UVMmhockey Goalie
                          Packy Munson will be leaving the men’s hockey program due to family/personal reasons.
                          http://www.wca*****/story/31869098/munson-to-leave-uvm

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-...-phase-i-draft

New UVM recruit Conner Hutchison selected in 5th round of USHL Draft.
                            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Tough loss with Munson. I was impressed in limited viewing.

Comment

Interesting comment at the end of the article. Granted it's the comment section, but still.

Comment

Working...
                                X