Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Hey guys. Sorry for the radio silence. Had a death in the family. Have been off the grid this week. I'll try and recap some thoughts on the posts I missed. It really helps to get my mind refocused.

1. About the Dartmouth game. From the looks of the stats, yeah, Madsen should have been pulled. How we gave up 5 consecutive goals is mind boggling. This team is really off kilter at the moment. Perhaps the condensed schedule will get them back on track. We need four points this weekend.

2. About 'HRB. As a ghost and a former hockey announcer, it is sad that coverage has all but disappeared. Perhaps it is not a total surprise given the ILDN and ESPN3 coverage. The University provides zero support and it has been that way forever. I think when we were kicked out of the basement of Mem Hall, Harvard offered no financial support for the move. We had to raise money through alumni donations. Really sad.

3. The Band. It's beyond pathetic and someone really needs to take them to task. Okay, the hockey program has suffered for a while but that's no excuse not to support these student athletes for at least a few games a season. Basketball has been the 'in' team to support and I'm happy for the hoops team but not at the expense of hockey. We have always been a hockey school and the declining support from students and the band is simply unacceptable. Not to mention embarrassing when opposing teams bring their bands and students.

I'm hoping to be at tomorrow night's game. Just not sure what my availability will be this weekend. Let's hope for the best.

Comment

Be very interesting to see which Harvard team shows up tonight and what impact (if any) a few days of practice and some very underwhelming performances have had with regards to the mettle of this team.

I think Donato will maintain the status quo, but it would not surprise me to see a change in net and a change in defense, especially if guys did not properly respond in practice this week.

Comment

Solid game. Gripping sticks too tight on offense, but got back to basics. Good positioning, little to no Brown scoring opportunities, good communication, and a solid lunch-pail effort. Just what the Dr ordered.

Bring on the Elis....

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Solid game. Gripping sticks too tight on offense, but got back to basics. Good positioning, little to no Brown scoring opportunities, good communication, and a solid lunch-pail effort. Just what the Dr ordered.

Bring on the Elis....
          Missed last night's game but will be at tonight's game. It's also on NESN. Hoping that we can continue to pull ourselves out of this mini slump. From the roster, looks like the shakeup happened up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            2. About 'HRB.[..]The University provides zero support and it has been that way forever. I think when we were kicked out of the basement of Mem Hall, Harvard offered no financial support for the move. We had to raise money through alumni donations. Really sad.
            Sorry to hear about the death in the family Skate. I do believe you are right about that. And most of my time there was spent preparing contingency plans for if they kicked us out of Pennypacker, which they really wanted to do as well. Grr...

At least we beat Brown. Beat the Elis tonight and I'll feel better about last week's blip.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

That was awesome. Harvard guy slashes yale stick but ends up breaking his own stick. And yale gets called for the penalty!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                Sorry to hear about the death in the family Skate. I do believe you are right about that. And most of my time there was spent preparing contingency plans for if they kicked us out of Pennypacker, which they really wanted to do as well. Grr...

At least we beat Brown. Beat the Elis tonight and I'll feel better about last week's blip.
                Thanks very much AL. Yeah, I really hope the University leaves the station alone or at least comes to their senses and matches donations. They have no clue as to the amount of work it takes to put on a quality product. And I have to say that air has never sounded better!

Comment

Great, great hockey game tonight matched only by the atmosphere. Sellout crowd, the band showed up (what, they didn't have some wine and cheese reception to attend???) and it was electric. Both teams deserved a point from tonight's game. There were ebbs and flows throughout although Harvard had the better chances. Especially Alexander Kerfoot. He'll be thinking about that opportunity all alone in front of Spano in the second period. Hate to say it but if it were Vesey, we would have won the game.

Good news for Harvard is that the D is playing better (although I still get scared when Anderson is out there). Yale did their usual job of clogging the middle and not giving Harvard much room to maneuver. Once we got down low in the offensive zone, we did a better job of winning some battles along the boards and cycling. Still, we didn't get much in the way of chances. Neither did Yale.

I was a bit surprised at the physicality - there were some rough hits doled out especially by the Crimson. No love loss between the teams. Should be a great rematch next month.

On to Ithaca. Speaking of teams that hate each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    Great, great hockey game tonight matched only by the atmosphere. Sellout crowd, the band showed up (what, they didn't have some wine and cheese reception to attend???) and it was electric. Both teams deserved a point from tonight's game. There were ebbs and flows throughout although Harvard had the better chances. Especially Alexander Kerfoot. He'll be thinking about that opportunity all alone in front of Spano in the second period. Hate to say it but if it were Vesey, we would have won the game.

Good news for Harvard is that the D is playing better (although I still get scared when Anderson is out there). Yale did their usual job of clogging the middle and not giving Harvard much room to maneuver. Once we got down low in the offensive zone, we did a better job of winning some battles along the boards and cycling. Still, we didn't get much in the way of chances. Neither did Yale.

I was a bit surprised at the physicality - there were some rough hits doled out especially by the Crimson. No love loss between the teams. Should be a great rematch next month.

On to Ithaca. Speaking of teams that hate each other.
                    Clearly Yale's scouting report was that Madsen was shaky and to shoot wrist shots at him from the blue line. I was surprised at how satisfied with settling for that type of shot.

Harvard's defense (so did Yale's) played very well for the most part.

Madsen played well, but on the goal, he was much too far back in the crease and he was not tight to the post. That goal should never have gone in if he was properly positioned given where the puck was.

I love Ryan Donato, but I'm getting a little tired of the hero hockey. He needs to pass the puck and stop settling for off angle, low percentage shots that generally lead to the opponent coming the other way with speed. The 1st line really needs to start playing together and passing the puck. They did this so beautifully prior to the break but something is definitely lost.

I'm not sure if the scouting report is out on Harvard, but Harvard's transition game and possession game in the offensive zone is a far cry from where it was.

Comment

Clearly Yale's scouting report was that Madsen was shaky and to shoot wrist shots at him from the blue line. I was surprised at how satisfied with settling for that type of shot.

Harvard's defense (so did Yale's) played very well for the most part.

Madsen played well, but on the goal, he was much too far back in the crease and he was not tight to the post. That goal should never have gone in if he was properly positioned given where the puck was.

I love Ryan Donato, but I'm getting a little tired of the hero hockey. He needs to pass the puck and stop settling for off angle, low percentage shots that generally lead to the opponent coming the other way with speed. The 1st line really needs to start playing together and passing the puck. They did this so beautifully prior to the break but something is definitely lost.

I'm not sure if the scouting report is out on Harvard, but Harvard's transition game and possession game in the offensive zone is a far cry from where it was.
                      In the Boston Globe write up of the game this morning, Teddy was blunt in saying that he didn't think the team was 'sharp'. At the end of the story, he made the following comment: "It’s a good barometer for us to see what kind of shape and commitment we’re going to have to make, both on and off the ice, to find success in a game like that.”

Perhaps the time off gave away to poor conditioning habits, not enough attention to detail in terms of scouting opponents or working on aspects of the game like face offs, passing (both making and receiving) and commitment to the system. Certainly last night, there were times when we were lazy or running around chasing the puck. And yes, Ryan D has been a little too concerned with showing off his moves instead of using his linemates. Still I think the D played well overall and we got our chances, albeit not that many. We cycle down low with no issues but often do not have someone out front to draw away the opposing D. We should work on that this week because Cornell will apply the same tactics next Friday.

Comment

In preparation for the pilgrimage to SUNY Ithaca, it's interesting that two years running, Cornell has lost its two most heralded offensive prospects (by far) in Mike O'Leary and now Sam Sternschein.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                          In preparation for the pilgrimage to SUNY Ithaca, it's interesting that two years running, Cornell has lost its two most heralded offensive prospects (by far) in Mike O'Leary and now Sam Sternschein.
                          O'Leary was pretty heralded, and while Sternschein was once a pretty hot prospect, his star has dimmed some (not to say he won't be a good college player). I think Limoges is clearly more "heralded" than Sternschein at this point.

Comment

In preparation for the pilgrimage to SUNY Ithaca

Just wanted to support your use of SUNY Ithaca...
                            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                            Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post

Just wanted to support your use of SUNY Ithaca...
                              Well, I did let that pass -- although my recollection is that Bothman is not a Harvard graduate, so it seems more than a little presumptuous coming from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
                                Well, I did let that pass -- although my recollection is that Bothman is not a Harvard graduate, so it seems more than a little presumptuous coming from him.
                                I am not a Harvard graduate, but a lifelong fan of the program (my Dad went to Harvard and was on the tennis team there with Joe Cavanagh....amazing to think there was such a thing as a frosh team and multi-sport athletes). Can you imagine Jimmy Vesey playing golf or tennis in the Spring in this day and age?

Comment

Working...
                                X