ESPN sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN sucks

Don't forget that the 2012 semi-final between FSU and Union was relegated to ESPNU. I believe 17 people watched that one on TV. Sarcasm aside, the estimated # of viewers was around 150,000, perhaps a quarter of the estimated viewers of most of the semi-final broadcasts of the last few years. Now moving a game from ESPN or ESPN2 to ESPNU meant a lot of people who perhaps would have watched did not, but moving one from ESPN to ESPN 2 will not cost more than a handful of viewers the chance to see the game, as ESPN2 is in virtually the same number of homes as is ESPN. At the beginning of the 2015/16 TV season ESPN was in 92.94 million homes versus 92.85 million for ESPN2, a difference of fewer than 100,000 homes. Based on the numbers of people who normally watch the final on Saturday night, this means there may be a few hundred people in the entire country who might have watched but will have no access. Other than perception, there stopped being a real difference between ESPN and ESPN2 years ago. That perception is the ONLY reason something like Monday Night Football remains on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      A bit off-topic but...

Why why WHY does ESPN NEVER show NHL highlights during SportsCenter? They'll show highlights from every MLB, NFL, and NBA game the previous night, but not hockey!!!

Basketball is nowhere near as exciting as hockey. Coincidentally, the last time the National Championship game was bumped to ESPN2, it was also in Tampa.
      Because the average viewer of ESPN Sportscenter doesn't give a frog's fat a55 about hockey but eats up the NBA or the NFL like a pig eats slop. I always find myself amazed as to what amazes others about what stuff is on TV. If there were 5 million people who wanted to watch hockey highlights, ESPN will show it. If there are 500 people who want to see it, ESPN won't.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        Don't forget that the 2012 semi-final between FSU and Union was relegated to ESPNU. I believe 17 people watched that one on TV. Sarcasm aside, the estimated # of viewers was around 150,000, perhaps a quarter of the estimated viewers of most of the semi-final broadcasts of the last few years. Now moving a game from ESPN or ESPN2 to ESPNU meant a lot of people who perhaps would have watched did not, but moving one from ESPN to ESPN 2 will not cost more than a handful of viewers the chance to see the game, as ESPN2 is in virtually the same number of homes as is ESPN. At the beginning of the 2015/16 TV season ESPN was in 92.94 million homes versus 92.85 million for ESPN2, a difference of fewer than 100,000 homes. Based on the numbers of people who normally watch the final on Saturday night, this means there may be a few hundred people in the entire country who might have watched but will have no access. Other than perception, there stopped being a real difference between ESPN and ESPN2 years ago. That perception is the ONLY reason something like Monday Night Football remains on ESPN.
        Exactly right. This change is really virtually meaningless. And also, ESPN does a terrific job with this tournament -- they do have people at that organization who love hockey, and those people are doing excellent work. I have no complaints with ESPN's coverage of the NCAA Tournament, aside from Buccigross and Melrose.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
          Exactly right. This change is really virtually meaningless. And also, ESPN does a terrific job with this tournament -- they do have people at that organization who love hockey, and those people are doing excellent work. I have no complaints with ESPN's coverage of the NCAA Tournament, aside from Buccigross and Melrose.
          What might have been if Tom Mees had survived.

Comment

I just wish we could get Gary Thorne back...I like Buccigross' love of hockey but he is just not a hockey play by play guy.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              I just wish we could get Gary Thorne back...I like Buccigross' love of hockey but he is just not a hockey play by play guy.
              George is better than both.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                For how long have you been employed by ESPN and/or Disney or one of its subsidiaries? Most of ESPN's people don't even bother getting pronunciation guides from the teams, or if they do, they're not making use of them.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                  A bit off-topic but...

Why why WHY does ESPN NEVER show NHL highlights during SportsCenter? They'll show highlights from every MLB, NFL, and NBA game the previous night, but not hockey!!!

Basketball is nowhere near as exciting as hockey. Coincidentally, the last time the National Championship game was bumped to ESPN2, it was also in Tampa.
                  Why do you care what Sports center is showing. I checked out of that program a LONG time ago. For the playoffs, its definitely the NHL Network for me

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    George is better than both.
                    George who?

Gary Thorne has "the pipes" for hockey. Buccigross 'whispers' too much when there is a missed scoring opportunity/close call

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                      George who?

Gary Thorne has "the pipes" for hockey. Buccigross 'whispers' too much when there is a missed scoring opportunity/close call
                      That and I just don't think he's a real play by play guy. There is a big difference between recapping/reading highlights and calling a live game on play by play for hockey.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Buccigross 'whispers' too much when there is a missed scoring opportunity/close call
                        Unless he is screaming "SHOT!!!!!!!!!" for a meaningless wrister from the blue line in a 5-0 game...

Comment

Every now and then, he reminds me of the play-by-play I'd hear in my N64 Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey '98 game.

Still: considering that he's one of the biggest names publicly espousing college hockey, I'll take it.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Well, here is a plus- watching hockey instead of Lacrosse league game.

Comment

George who?

George Commo - play by play for Norwich. He also did ECACHL back in the days of Empire and NFSN.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Never heard of him

Did he ever call hockey on a national stage?

Comment

Working...
                                X