Arena Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena Rankings

I posted this on the RPI thread but it deserves its own thread so that everyone can complain that it makes no sense (except for UMD fans).

Ranking of 59 college hockey rinks (sorry ASU) http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/0...rena-rankings/. Click on any of the rinks to see the factors which were included.

I have seen at least one previous version of this from 2014 http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/0...arena-rankings.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: Arena Rankings

Messa over Ingalls, that sealed the deal that this survey is crap.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

One final bonus point for the great town of Amherst, Massachusetts.
      Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Mullins being in the top half of arenas in Hockey East is, ummm... interesting. Amherst gets a 5, but Durham, NH gets a 3?
      Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM.
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
        Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Mullins being in the top half of arena in Hockey East is, ummm... interesting. Amherst gets a 5, but Durham, NH gets a 3?
        Sounds fishy to me.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That is a rather old photo of the BGSU Ice Arena. The wooden chair seats have been replaced with cushioned seats and there are historical graphics all of the way around the top of the grand stands. Other changes are coming down the line, also....

Comment

If this is supposed to be a current list (2015-16), the Kohl Center at 3 is hilarious. Also no matter what year it is the Ralph that low is a joke and I've never even been there.

Comment

I don't know who did those rankings but they are an absolute joke. Clearly zero thought given to history and nostalgia and putting the Ralph at what 9? are you kidding me?
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

I noticed the comments on the MTU rink page are from 2012, and the description mentions the scoreboard as not having any video board...which is no longer true so they obviously haven't been there in awhile.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The atmosphere at Agganis Arena is driven by the large and active student section. Hockey is the undisputed king of the BU sporting kingdom, and on some nights it feels like almost the entire student body shows up to a Terrier hockey game. In fact, on many nights the student turnout is so large that they spill out from the constraints of their section to seats all over the arena

This hasn't been true for several seasons.

Boston University is arguably the most successful college hockey program in New England...

I wish I could argue this, but, sadly, I can't.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Messa over anything, that sealed the deal that this survey is crap.
                    fyp
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Boston University is arguably the most successful college hockey program in New England...

I wish I could argue this, but, sadly, I can't.
                      [/QUOTE]

There are many folks in Chestnut Hill ready to refute that last statement. If you had called bu "the most controversial hockey program in New England....

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                        That is a rather old photo of the BGSU Ice Arena. The wooden chair seats have been replaced with cushioned seats and there are historical graphics all of the way around the top of the grand stands. Other changes are coming down the line, also....
                        And I've had numerous adult beverages whilst inside the arena purchased at the north end concession stand. That's gotta be worth in increase of two more Food and Beverage stars and 3 spots on the list.

Comment

Having been to nearly half of the current college rinks, I have plenty of disagreements with this list.

Categories included on our scale include Food & Beverage, Atmosphere, Neighborhood, Fans, Access (which includes traffic, parking, handicap accessibility, and restrooms), Return on Investment, and a category for any Extras.
                          I think the rating system is a big part of my disagreement. I don't care about the food in the rink...I'd rather go out in the college town for food. The access is not an issue for me, sure the small restroom at Union was annoying, but I don't care how hard it is to get to the a rink or find parking. The atmosphere is what make college hockey for me.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Having been to nearly half of the current college rinks, I have plenty of disagreements with this list.

I think the rating system is a big part of my disagreement. I don't care about the food in the rink...I'd rather go out in the college town for food. The access is not an issue for me, sure the small restroom at Union was annoying, but I don't care how hard it is to get to the a rink or find parking. The atmosphere is what make college hockey for me.

Atmosphere is what it is all about. I agree. The categories listed in the rating system may be important to casual fans, but to most fans having a loud crowd and a great barn is what it is all about. That is likely where folks on this board who are hardcore hockey fans may disagree with the rankings. Give me a pep band, loud student section and a quirky arena with some interesting architecture and that is about as good as it gets.
                            My Website:

http://www.roamingtherinks.com

Hockey Arena Photos and Reviews

Comment

This is awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X