• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Aid & Athletics

Oops!

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...a6f5-197344761
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Financial Aid & Athletics

The NCAA's major infractions database is here.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

So how do they figure out that they are giving athletes scholarships? Is it just that a disproportionate number of athletes are receiving academic scholarships or is that students who are coming to the college with a 1.5 GPA are getting full academic rides.

I just wonder because I talk to several of our athletes that are going to D3 schools and they are still waiting to see what is the "best offer" before deciding on which one. Or they are waiting to see if they can find them more money..etc. So I'm fairly certain its a bigger problem than many people think.
      Last edited by gojackets; 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM.
      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
        So how do they figure out that they are giving athletes scholarships? Is it just that a disproportionate number of athletes are receiving academic scholarships or is that students who are coming to the college with a 1.5 GPA are getting full academic rides.

I just wonder because I talk to several of our athletes that are going to D3 schools and they are still waiting to see what is the "best offer" before deciding on which one. Or they are waiting to see if they can find them more money..etc. So I'm fairly certain its a bigger problem than many people think.

Generally, it's been the case of "17% of your students are athletes, but 33% of the recipients of this grant are athletes", or something along those lines. For many, it was a grant targeting Canadians, but most of their Canadian students were athletes. Plattsburgh has a blanket "International Student" grant program, but they get away with it because their admissions department recruits heavily in Canada and Southeast Asia.

...but then there's Neumann, where it was 108 of 109 grants going to athletes, despite 11% of students being athletes.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
          Generally, it's been the case of "17% of your students are athletes, but 33% of the recipients of this grant are athletes", or something along those lines. For many, it was a grant targeting Canadians, but most of their Canadian students were athletes. Plattsburgh has a blanket "International Student" grant program, but they get away with it because their admissions department recruits heavily in Canada and Southeast Asia.

...but then there's Neumann, where it was 108 of 109 grants going to athletes, despite 11% of students being athletes.
          I thought that was how Superior was getting away with it too...because they had their TAP grant which gave non-residents instate tuition. But they had almost more Sri Lankans coming to campus getting the grant than Canadian athletes.
          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
          X