X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Hockey on TV

Some interesting stuff from joegrav:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...ewers-than-any

This and the Olympic gold medal game doing better than the Stanley Cup finals are starting to put together a pretty compelling case to get the sport on TV more.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Women's Hockey on TV

I think a lot of that good rating (and that's really good for the women's game) had to do with the fact that it was the largest school in the east versus the largest school in the west. If it had been Wisconsin v. Clarkson, I doubt you'd have half that number (although I'd be DVR-ing it and watching it over and over when the Golden Knights fried up some Badger meat).
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
    12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
      I think a lot of that good rating (and that's really good for the women's game) had to do with the fact that it was the largest school in the east versus the largest school in the west. If it had been Wisconsin v. Clarkson, I doubt you'd have half that number (although I'd be DVR-ing it and watching it over and over when the Golden Knights fried up some Badger meat).
      Honestly the biggest reason is probably just the fact that it was on over-the-air CBS and not cable... But regardless, it's impressive.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Honestly the biggest reason is probably just the fact that it was on over-the-air CBS and not cable... But regardless, it's impressive.
        Timing can often be a key as well. If nothing else compelling is on can lead to more viewers sticking.

Comment

It was disappointing to see all the empty seats at the Semis at worlds yesterday, both for the US and the Canuck game.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Timing can often be a key as well. If nothing else compelling is on can lead to more viewers sticking.
            I don't know about where you live, but there wasn't any competing sporting event here.
            unless you consider golf a sport

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              I don't know about where you live
              The great white north. (And the last few days it sure feels like that around here). Allas we do not always get those US college games on TV. Things like Pro-Hockey, Alpine Skying, Speed Skating, Figure Skating etc tend to rule the sport roost mid winter. Oh and don't forget about Curling, on the tube a lot in February and March. Compered to hockey its like watching paint dry.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 04-04-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                The great white north.
                I can see that, what I meant was that Easter Sunday, in homes that had a TV going, their wasn't a lot of competition for viewing, but then I only have the free channels that are broadcast locally, seems like everyone has cable or sat nowadays

I wonder though, how many people would have attended if it was on live TV?
                maybe it is good it was delayed on Easter Sunday, maybe people who watched but have never seen a game will attend in the future

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                  If it had been Wisconsin v. Clarkson, I doubt you'd have half that number (although I'd be DVR-ing it and watching it over and over when the Golden Knights fried up some Badger meat).
                  That would have been a Clarkson issue. Wisconsin-BC would have pulled a similar rating.

Comment

maybe it is good it was delayed on Easter Sunday, maybe people who watched but have never seen a game will attend in the future
                    I know this might be crazy, but how about showing it live on CBS Sports Network and then tape delay on CBS a week later? CBS Sports Network was not showing any live programming at that time.

Comment

I can see that, what I meant was that Easter Sunday, in homes that had a TV going.
                      Dunno about what was on the tube back home that day. I was in the mid-west visiting one of my daugther's for the weekend, so TV viewing not a priority.

Comment

You are not the only one who watches the free channels. If there is something on cable that I want to watch (hockey) I go to the bar. I have done the calculations and if the wild and gophers go all the way to the finals with what I spend at Sensers on food and drink (wifes wine and my O'Douls amber) I might be able to afford cable for 6 months.

I can see that, what I meant was that Easter Sunday, in homes that had a TV going, their wasn't a lot of competition for viewing, but then I only have the free channels that are broadcast locally, seems like everyone has cable or sat nowadays

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/tape-dela...age/374820641/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Watching the men's Frozen Four tonight I hear ESPN U will be covering the NCAA Women's bowling championship live. Frustrating.

Comment

Totally frustrating but we have to admit that the bowling industry, recreational leagues, college and pro, probably is bigger than hockey!

Comment

Working...
                              X