Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Hobey Hat Trick

As predicted, Connor, Demko and Vesey.

While it appears Connor has the edge, I think that 15 years since Ryan Miller won it, a goalie is long overdue. Demko with 10 shutouts this season, second all time, just may be the one to break that trend.

Re: 2016 Hobey Hat Trick

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    As predicted, Connor, Demko and Vesey.

While it appears Connor has the edge, I think that 15 years since Ryan Miller won it, a goalie is long overdue. Demko with 10 shutouts this season, second all time, just may be the one to break that trend.
    I'd give Connor a large edge. Taking nothing away from Demko who has had a fantastic year and obviously very deserving of being in the top 3 you have to look at who he shutout to get those 10 shutouts. 8 of the 10 shutouts were against some of the worst teams in College Hockey. 2 against UMass Amherst (last in HE), 2 against Colorado College (last in NCHC), 2 against Maine (11th in HE), 1 each against Wisconsin (last in Big 10) and Vermont (9th in HE). Only 2 of his shutouts came against NCAA tourney teams.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
      I'd give Connor a large edge. Taking nothing away from Demko who has had a fantastic year and obviously very deserving of being in the top 3 you have to look at who he shutout to get those 10 shutouts. 8 of the 10 shutouts were against some of the worst teams in College Hockey. 2 against UMass Amherst (last in HE), 2 against Colorado College (last in NCHC), 2 against Maine (11th in HE), 1 each against Wisconsin (last in Big 10) and Vermont (9th in HE). Only 2 of his shutouts came against NCAA tourney teams.
      If it's that easy against bad teams you'd see a lot more goalies with 10 shutouts.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Last year at this time I wondered if Jimmy Vesey having won the Walter Brown Award (for best U.S. born college player in New England, which he has won again in 2016) meant that he was unlikely to lose the Hobey Baker to another U.S. born New England player. Different group of voters, though, obviously.

Comment

I think Vesey had a good argument last year vs. Eichel considering the academic aspect. I'm completely ok with any of these 3 winning it but personally when you have a good candidate from Harvard, I'm ready to give it to a kid that is not being hidden away in a Rocks for Jocks geology class.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Three great candidates but ultimately I think Connor wins it.

Comment

I have not seen Demko play so I can't comment about him.

I saw Vesey play 3 times (once live at MSG). All were against QU, who does have a way of shutting people down. But in those 3 games I was not all that impressed.

I saw Connor play about 12-15 times (including live 3 times). To me he was head and shoulders better than Vesey. And he was getting better and better as the season progressed. He has some holes in his game but he was very, very impressive.
              Let's Go Bobcats!
              Go Blue!

Comment

Jack Eichel was a slam dunk last year and going by the same notion, I think Connor is a slam dunk this year.

Technically, the Hobey is about scholastic achievement and on/off ice integrity, but we all know that at least the last couple decades it has been about who was the best player. The best player is Connor. Vesey is an interesting Hobey Hat Trick member. Statswise, he may not belong there but hopefully it is a nod to scholastic achievement even if he is not the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Michigan played 5 games against teams that made the NCAAs

BC has played 18

against teams that made the NCAA's, Connor was 2-4-6 (1.2 PPG)

teams that didn't: 33-32-65 (2.0 PPG)

*this was all done in 5 seconds, so I might've missed a number but the point still stands
                  Last edited by claver2010; 03-31-2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888
                    Michigan played 10 games against teams that played in the NCAA, I understand being off by 1-2 numbers, but you are off by a factor of 2!!!

5 against Minnesota
                    2 against BU
                    1 against Ferris
                    1 against Notre Dame
                    and 1 against North Dakota
                    That's a great point. Or at least it would be if Minnesota had made the NCAAs. As it is, he was right. Michigan played five games against teams that made the NCAAs.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      That's a great point. Or at least it would be if Minnesota had made the NCAAs. As it is, he was right. Michigan played five games against teams that made the NCAAs.
                      OH poop!!!!!!!!

my total bad

post deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        Vesey is an interesting Hobey Hat Trick member. Statswise, he may not belong there but hopefully it is a nod to scholastic achievement even if he is not the winner.
                        I'm a huge fan, but am pleasantly surprised that he made the cut this year. He doesn't have quite the per game (as you need to view Ivies) stats he might have, and his team's success was limited especially in the big games, in what was to be their year and best chance. When he dominated, though, he was far and away the biggest difference maker on what could be a very good team. He will be missed.

Comment

Not counting the tournament itself, BC played 16 games against NCAA teams, Michigan only 3 of which Connor had just 1 assist in two games against BU. Including the tournament it will be BC either 19 or 20 and Michigan 5. Demko looks better and better every time you analyze the stats.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            Not counting the tournament itself, BC played 16 games against NCAA teams, Michigan only 3 of which Connor had just 1 assist in two games against BU. Including the tournament it will be BC either 19 or 20 and Michigan 5. Demko looks better and better every time you analyze the stats.
                            You should be comparing Demko against Lyon, Johnson, Ellis, Boyle. Garteig. Not Connor. Those goalies have similar stats to Demko and some of them have played just as tough, if not tougher, schedules. Demko is a fantastic goalie, but has not distanced himself from the rest of the competition like Connor has.

Comment

I'm not going to go through everyone but ylae* played 7 games against teams that made ncaas, 25 against those that didn't. was 2-4-1 allowing 2.57 per game against NCAA teams

Comment

Working...
                              X