• Regional Attendance

Code:
    		Friday	Sat	Sunday	Total
    Worcester	6682	4572		11254
    Albany			5326	2975	8301
    Cincinnati	5332	5172		10504
    St Paul			4926	2799	7725
    Total		12014	19996	5774	37784
    That was the announced attendance. Actual people in the stands might have been slightly lower (looking at you, St Paul).

Aside from the usual complaints about ticket prices, scheduling is becoming a major issue because the NCAA apparently doesn't know how time works. No reason at all to have a regional final start at 9:00 on a Saturday night. No reason for the West regional final to be in the afternoon and then the East regional scheduled at night. It would make far more sense to have the East final followed by the West. I know it isn't easy but it also isn't rocket science. Those Sunday numbers are absolutely horrible.

A slight modification would allow easier scheduling for fans and teams - and make a much better television experience on Saturday.

(all times eastern)
    Friday
    Worcester Game 1: 4PM
    Cincinnati Game 1: 5PM
    Worcester Game 2: 7PM
    Cincinnati Game 2: 8PM

Saturday:
    Albany Game 1: Noon
    St Paul Game 1: 2:30PM
    Albany Game 2: 3PM
    St Paul Game 2: 5:30PM
    Worcester Game 3: 6PM
    Cincinnati Game 3: 8PM

Sunday
    Albany Game 3: 4PM
    St Paul Game 3: 7PM

Re: Regional Attendance

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Code:
    		Friday	Sat	Sunday	Total
    Worcester	6682	4572		11254
    Albany			5326	2975	8301
    Cincinnati	5332	5172		10504
    St Paul			4926	2799	7725
    Total		12014	19996	5774	37784
    That was the announced attendance. Actual people in the stands might have been slightly lower (looking at you, St Paul).

Aside from the usual complaints about ticket prices, scheduling is becoming a major issue because the NCAA apparently doesn't know how time works. No reason at all to have a regional final start at 9:00 on a Saturday night. No reason for the West regional final to be in the afternoon and then the East regional scheduled at night. It would make far more sense to have the East final followed by the West. I know it isn't easy but it also isn't rocket science. Those Sunday numbers are absolutely horrible.

A slight modification would allow easier scheduling for fans and teams - and make a much better television experience on Saturday.

(all times eastern)
    Friday
    Worcester Game 1: 4PM
    Cincinnati Game 1: 5PM
    Worcester Game 2: 7PM
    Cincinnati Game 2: 8PM

Saturday:
    Albany Game 1: Noon
    St Paul Game 1: 2:30PM
    Albany Game 2: 3PM
    St Paul Game 2: 5:30PM
    Worcester Game 3: 6PM
    Cincinnati Game 3: 8PM

Sunday
    Albany Game 3: 4PM
    St Paul Game 3: 7PM
    I dont understand how people can complain about ticket prices....80 bucks for 3 games of hockey is so cheap. Go to an nhl game and one game for the ticket alone will cost you at least a 100. I really felt like it was a great deal for the money. I even ran into a dad and son who was at the NE regional friday and saturday then made it to albany for sunday night final.

Now for the times that was something you can complain about. And also at least in Albany the Times union center could have told local businesses there was a big event coming in for the weekend. On saturday people were out and about. All 4 schools were represented well esp Lowell. Fans were great. But yesterday a lot of business were closed due to the fact that it was easter and the arena never told them about the hockey event so the employees were allowed to have off for the holiday. The party at the Pearl St. Pub was great.

Comment

Game times have been a problem for some time now especially with these eastern regional finals and to be honest I don't know how someone cannot figure this out. 9 pm on Saturday night --> I skipped my first Worcester regional game in 18 years. Prices are too high, game times suck.

As you outline, it's not too difficult to figure out how a clock works, how time zones work, and how it is better for both tv and crowds in the arena for someone running the show to gain an understanding of the concept of time.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Game times have been a problem for some time now especially with these eastern regional finals and to be honest I don't know how someone cannot figure this out. 9 pm on Saturday night --> I skipped my first Worcester regional game in 18 years. Prices are too high, game times suck.

As you outline, it's not too difficult to figure out how a clock works, how time zones work, and how it is better for both tv and crowds in the arena for someone running the show to gain an understanding of the concept of time.
        Again how are prices too high??

Comment

Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
          I dont understand how people can complain about ticket prices....80 bucks for 3 games of hockey is so cheap. Go to an nhl game and one game for the ticket alone will cost you at least a 100. I really felt like it was a great deal for the money. I even ran into a dad and son who was at the NE regional friday and saturday then made it to albany for sunday night final.
          First night is a good value with 2 games. Second night is too expensive IMO for one game.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            First night is a good value with 2 games. Second night is too expensive IMO for one game.
            If you go to an NHL game itll cost you over 100 bucks for one game. They were asking for 45 bucks. I dont see anything wrong with that at all. Its so cheap i wish every game was 40 bucks

Comment

Just my two cents.

The current regional format does not produce people in the stands. The primary cause, imho, is the fact that all the games are broadcast live on tv, or streamed by espn. Why would I get in my car and drive 12 hours to Cincinnati to see UND play when I can watch them from the comfort of my living room, and possibly save for a trip to the Frozen Four, or if not, then next year's Frozen Faceoff in Minneapolis?

We in the college hockey world have a choice. We can go back to on campus games. I don't think on campus "regionals" is the solution given the small size of the home arenas that would end up hosting some regionals. Instead, back to the old method of the higher seed hosting. We have the extra week available due to bounceyball, so the first weekend we play down to eight and the second down to four.

There would be no tv under this format. ESPN isn't going to send teams out to eight different arenas, and there would be too many games anyway. But, we'd have great "atmosphere" in the arenas themselves.

Or, we keep going as is with the knowledge that at least as of now, we all get to see all the games (played, albeit, in mausoleums).
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Just my two cents.

The current regional format does not produce people in the stands. The primary cause, imho, is the fact that all the games are broadcast live on tv, or streamed by espn. Why would I get in my car and drive 12 hours to Cincinnati to see UND play when I can watch them from the comfort of my living room, and possibly save for a trip to the Frozen Four, or if not, then next year's Frozen Faceoff in Minneapolis?

We in the college hockey world have a choice. We can go back to on campus games. I don't think on campus "regionals" is the solution given the small size of the home arenas that would end up hosting some regionals. Instead, back to the old method of the higher seed hosting. We have the extra week available due to bounceyball, so the first weekend we play down to eight and the second down to four.

There would be no tv under this format. ESPN isn't going to send teams out to eight different arenas, and there would be too many games anyway. But, we'd have great "atmosphere" in the arenas themselves.

Or, we keep going as is with the knowledge that at least as of now, we all get to see all the games (played, albeit, in mausoleums).
                By that logic why do people go to games at all? every football game is on tv so why do people go to games? you can sit in the comfort of your living room and watch every game possible today. For some sports its about being there and being in albany all weekend was worth it. Idk about the rest of the regionals. I guess seeing Denver destroy BU 7-2 isnt worth the trip or ND beating NU 6-2.

Comment

Again how are prices too high??
                  You aren't competing with NHL though. You are playing in AHL arenas. AHL teams offer family packs, discounts, merchandise, food...all kinds of promotions. The NCAA can't (or won't) do that. As a result it is much cheaper to attend twice as many AHL games as to attend the three regional games. Add in the fact that next week the AHL team will still be in town so your kids have a chance to get used to seeing them around but you'll probably never see the NCAA kids again and the AHL team has more promise. However, even taking into account that this is a premium event so prices are going to be higher, it's still unforgivable that they charge the exact same price for a seat on the glass as for a seat at the top of the balcony. It isn't that difficult to implement price zones so a guy can take his kids, sit in the upper bowl and not have it cost an arm and a leg. Charge a premium for seats on the glass and charge substantially less for seats in the upper bowl. Those seats will sell instead of going unused. The NCAA claims to care about the atmosphere at regionals. There are ways to fix it without taking the games back to campus.

Comment

You aren't competing with NHL though. You are playing in AHL arenas. AHL teams offer family packs, discounts, merchandise, food...all kinds of promotions. The NCAA can't (or won't) do that. As a result it is much cheaper to attend twice as many AHL games as to attend the three regional games. Add in the fact that next week the AHL team will still be in town so your kids have a chance to get used to seeing them around but you'll probably never see the NCAA kids again and the AHL team has more promise. However, even taking into account that this is a premium event so prices are going to be higher, it's still unforgivable that they charge the exact same price for a seat on the glass as for a seat at the top of the balcony. It isn't that difficult to implement price zones so a guy can take his kids, sit in the upper bowl and not have it cost an arm and a leg. Charge a premium for seats on the glass and charge substantially less for seats in the upper bowl. Those seats will sell instead of going unused. The NCAA claims to care about the atmosphere at regionals. There are ways to fix it without taking the games back to campus.
                    I just looked it up for the Albany Devils the AHL affiliate of the Devils obv charge btw 10-30 dollars a ticket. I agree with your point that not every seat should be the same amount but they do the same thing in college basketball for the regionals. I paid 100 bucks at the Prudential Center to see UNC vs Kentucky and every seat in the house was 100 bucks. If you and your son paid 100 bucks for the weekend thats still not a big deal. Idk maybe im just used to paying a lot more money for sporting events. Why wont you see a NCAA kid again. Im sure some of them play at the AHL level.

Comment

By that logic why do people go to games at all? every football game is on tv so why do people go to games? you can sit in the comfort of your living room and watch every game possible today.
                      This is something the NFL is constantly battling. They are increasing their promotions, fixing up some nice amenities and doing whatever they can to enhance the game day experience because they are scared to death people will stop paying those insane seat licensing fees, paying for preseason exhibition games and paying for seats so high you can't possibly see what is happening on the field without watching on the Jumbotron. Games have been televised for decades, but now you have home theaters with huge TV screens that make watching the game from home much more appealing.

Comment

I just looked it up for the Albany Devils the AHL affiliate of the Devils obv charge btw 10-30 dollars a ticket. I agree with your point that not every seat should be the same amount but they do the same thing in college basketball for the regionals. I paid 100 bucks at the Prudential Center to see UNC vs Kentucky and every seat in the house was 100 bucks. If you and your son paid 100 bucks for the weekend thats still not a big deal. Idk maybe im just used to paying a lot more money for sporting events. Why wont you see a NCAA kid again. Im sure some of them play at the AHL level.
                        It's not a big deal TO YOU. It is a big deal to others. SCSU home tickets have a range that top out at $35, the regional tickets at the X were $52.50 face value. For those who attended UND, that's an increase in the price of a ticket for the average SCSU consumer. Add in the extra travel distance, parking costs, etc. and you're losing people who are already at the margins with the ticket prices alone.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If I live in Worcester and see the UMD Bulldogs it is a million to 1 they ever come back. Local teams maybe, but even if UMD plays a series at BC, they're going to play in Newton - not Worcester.

Comment

This is something the NFL is constantly battling. They are increasing their promotions, fixing up some nice amenities and doing whatever they can to enhance the game day experience because they are scared to death people will stop paying those insane seat licensing fees, paying for preseason exhibition games and paying for seats so high you can't possibly see what is happening on the field without watching on the Jumbotron. Games have been televised for decades, but now you have home theaters with huge TV screens that make watching the game from home much more appealing.
                            Yes i agree with you completely. They are even updating people on your fantasy team in the stadiums as well. I know Jacksonville was thinking of showing the red zone channel on a screen in the stadium as a way for you to watch your fantasy team as you watched the live jaguar game your at. The prices at least here in NY are crazy expensive and i have only been lucky enough to go to 2 NFL games one in NY years ago and i just went to one in Tennessee. Paid 40 bucks for a ticket for the titans. So that was pretty neat. I am one of those that most of the time i stay home and watch the game on tv. I was able to get to Georgia for a Georgia vs Auburn game last year which was awesome. But in terms of the NFL they will always win. They will always have at least 30k in the stands every weekend.

Comment

If I live in Worcester and see the UMD Bulldogs it is a million to 1 they ever come back. Local teams maybe, but even if UMD plays a series at BC, they're going to play in Newton - not Worcester.
                              So how far is the trip from Worcester to Newton? Idk so im asking. But what im saying is the kids get drafted and get assigned to an AHL team they very well may come to your area no?

Comment

Working...
                              X