NCHA membership changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCHA membership changes?

So, a couple of teams may be leaving for the WIAC?

I've heard only rumors, so maybe others have more specific information. But seems to me that CSS and FU (a former WIAC affiliate member) would have some shorter road trips....
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: NCHA membership changes?

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post

I've heard only rumors, so maybe others have more specific information. But seems to me that CSS and FU (a former WIAC affiliate member) would have some shorter road trips....
    I've heard similar rumblings.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      I've heard similar rumblings.
      So if both the WIAC and ECAC-W get an AQ, we'll still have only 3 Pool C, despite going to 12 teams AND getting rid of Pool B, correct?
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        So if both the WIAC and ECAC-W get an AQ, we'll still have only 3 Pool C, despite going to 12 teams AND getting rid of Pool B, correct?
        By my count then yes we would have nine AQ conferences leaving the three Pool Cs you point out.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

I can see adding CSS, but going to Finlandia can't be saving any money on travel. Doesn't make sense on the WIAC's part. Is it possible they saved enough travel money by not going to Duluth and Depere for a few years?

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
            I can see adding CSS, but going to Finlandia can't be saving any money on travel. Doesn't make sense on the WIAC's part. Is it possible they saved enough travel money by not going to Duluth and Depere for a few years?
            I think the purse strings might loosen to try and get the conference back to being an auto bid conference. Remember, when the WIAC first made the move, I firmly believe they thought the rest of the former NCHA schools like St. Norbert, CSS etc. would all just come under the WIAC umbrella as associate members. Instead, they flipped the script and went to the old MCHA/new NCHA and the WIAC schools were left out in the cold.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Just better hope those schools don't have any sustained success. They'll get tossed out, too. Can't have a private school cleaning up on WIAC trophies, you know.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Let's say you need to add two teams to your conference. Your goal is to add two teams so you can get an automatic qualifier. You will need to pay a little bit more for travel, but you have this factored in. You can probably rule any of the MIAC teams as it wouldn't make much sense for any of them to break conference. You look at the NCHA. Rule out Adrian right away because of distance. Next rule out Norbert because you ****ed them off pretty good already. Rule out Aurora as well because it would make no sense for a new team to leave the conference so quickly. You are left with CSS, MSOE, CUW, Northland, Lawrence, Marian. Marian, Lawerence, CUW, MSOE would all have much worse travel schedules if they join, so rule them out. We are now down to Northland, CSS and Finlandia.

Travel for Finlandia is actually less if they join the WIAC. The furthest trip they add is 5.5 hours to Falls, which is about the same time it takes for them to get to MSOE. They lose the massive 9 hour trip to Adrian out of it. The rest are pretty close (within about an hour) of the trips they are already making. Finlandia has already been an associate member of the WIAC in many other sports. I would consider them to be the easiest and simplest to join, so let's add them.

We are now down to two choices, Northland and CSS. CSS would save on their travel a lot, however, you kind of kicked them out of the conference a few years ago and that probably isn't a good thing. Let's look at the positives from the Northland side. Their travel would get dramatically reduced. Their longest trip now becomes 3.5 hours. Traveling to GB for them was over 4 hours. The travel for the majority WIAC schools to Northland isn't all that different in time to CSS. Northland has had involvement with the WIAC in the past as well. I would guess that they would be much more likely to join than CSS.
                I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
                  I meant from the perspective of FU, CSS (and Northland) because they wouldn't need to go to Illinois or Michigan, or even Milwaukee area... Mine wasn't a WIAC perspective but for those considering the switch. Sorry if that was unclear.

The WIAC benefit isn't travel, it's autobid.
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Just better hope those schools don't have any sustained success. They'll get tossed out, too. Can't have a private school cleaning up on WIAC trophies, you know.
                    +1,000,000
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post

What is FU?
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Finlandia University.

Long time, no see. You doing okay, I hope?
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Finlandia University.

Long time, no see. You doing okay, I hope?
                          I'm getting better and better. I had a spell of really rotten health.

Finlandia calls themselves a "University" I'm still shocked that Castleton did that. The label University used to mean something. Heck, I graduated from a College (Dartmouth) that probably has more of a legitimate claim to the description University than most of the schools that have adopted that "brand." Ultimately, it's not what you say you are, but what you do.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

They can have Finlandia and Northland. Not that you can make these decisions on emotion but I would be disappointed to see CSS take back their abusers. Not to mention it would be a loss for the NCHA of a good program and quality fans.
                            Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                            2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                            2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                            Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Would the women's teams join the WIAC as well then? They are chasing an autobid as well, and with Northland starting a women's team next year...the women need 3 teams.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X