Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ND joining Big Ten- can a women's team be far behind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND joining Big Ten- can a women's team be far behind?

Could this affect expansion in women's hockey at all?

Re: ND joining Big Ten- can a women's team be far behind?

I doubt it. There's no reason Notre Dame would feel any more pressure to add a women's team while playing in the Big 10 than they have while playing in Hockey East.

The more interesting potential development is what the fallow on from this could mean for the CHA. Hockey East will want to get back to an even number of teams on the men's side, and will probably invite Quinnipiac; if Q makes the move, they would likely take their women's team with them, providing for an even number on that side as well. Then the ECAC would want to get back to an even number of teams, and might ask RIT to switch. That would drop the CHA back below the six teams needed for an autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
      The more interesting potential development is what the fallow on from this could mean for the CHA. Hockey East will want to get back to an even number of teams on the men's side, and will probably invite Quinnipiac; if Q makes the move, they would likely take their women's team with them, providing for an even number on that side as well. Then the ECAC would want to get back to an even number of teams, and might ask RIT to switch. That would drop the CHA back below the six teams needed for an autobid.
      The CHA is weak sauce anyway, so if they lose the autobid it allows for a better team to take their place, which is more meaningful for the tourney. They still could get an at large bid if the team was good enough.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I doubt it. There's no reason Notre Dame would feel any more pressure to add a women's team while playing in the Big 10 than they have while playing in Hockey East.

Benefit for Q to move? Seems they are in a good spot as it is now.

Comment

Strictly from the women's side this is the break that Holy Cross has been hoping for and probably their best chance at becoming a real D1 program. I am sure that if they could get Hockey East acceptance for both men's and women's teams that they would upgrade the rink immediately to the required Hockey East specs (too small now) as they are already in process of upgrading the rest of the fieldhouse facilities. I would be surprised if they don't push hard to get Notre Dame's spot. But I agree that a couple of the ECAC schools would be strong candidates as well: Quinnipiac and Rensselaer (not sure if they would be interested) would seem the most likely....

If Quinn or RPI went to the Hockey East, then I would suggest that the ECAC would strongly consider Holy Cross or Sacred Heart for admission. The ECAC is the only league that has all members with both men's and women's teams and that seems to matter to them. Either of these teams could upgrade their women's program to real D1 status with fairly minimal effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
            Could this affect expansion in women's hockey at all?
            Not to go all off thread right away but doesn't the B16 require teams to play all D1 sports they offer in the B16 conference? This would require them to play football there and that would be a huge financial hit for football jesus' boys

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              Not to go all off thread right away but doesn't the B16 require teams to play all D1 sports they offer in the B16 conference? This would require them to play football there and that would be a huge financial hit for football jesus' boys
              Well, yes, but the Johns Hopkins precedent indicates that they are willing to be a bit more, uhm, flexible in their interpretations of this rule than they used to be.

Comment

Don't think so. Notre Dame has more of a mindset of Michigan or MSU than Minnesota. I think hockey cracks Michigan and then we'll talk (although Michigan is what really matters).
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Well, yes, but the Johns Hopkins precedent indicates that they are willing to be a bit more, uhm, flexible in their interpretations of this rule than they used to be.
                  OK, I admit to not giving a hoot about the B16 or lacrosse. Until I googled JH big 10 I was unaware of the exception. So, could M & W bow out of B16 hockey? If not how many lawyers would retire based on the court time spent? Please show your work. P.S. for the humor impaired - that was a joke, not to be taken literally nor to imply I think they would or even should.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    OK, I admit to not giving a hoot about the B16 or lacrosse. Until I googled JH big 10 I was unaware of the exception. So, could M & W bow out of B16 hockey? If not how many lawyers would retire based on the court time spent? Please show your work. P.S. for the humor impaired - that was a joke, not to be taken literally nor to imply I think they would or even should.
                    Minnesota and Wisconsin would not be allowed to bow out of a BTHC if the women sponsored it. My understanding of the Big Ten is that if the conference sponsors a sport, all full-time members have to join it. The inverse is not true for associate members. Notre Dame would not have to join Big Ten football to be a member of the hockey conference.
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                    X