• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

So what do we have to discuss?

Butch Mousseaux
    How far Ferris State can go while slowing their games down
    Bad officiating (especially letting interference/holding/etc. go)
    Arizona State
    More expansion/realignment talk
    Changing the conference schedule
    Worrying about dullard Alaskan state legislators
    Early defections
    WCHA finances and the men/women split
    Inscrutable math-related posts about BELOW, goal margin, correlation, alternative hypothesis testing, and the like
    Should-have-won conversations
    Banjos
    Beer sales
    New campus rinks
    Old rivalries
    How much Bemidji sucks

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Butch Mousseaux
    How far Ferris State can go while slowing their games down
    Bad officiating (especially letting interference/holding/etc. go)
    Arizona State
    More expansion/realignment talk
    Changing the conference schedule
    Worrying about dullard Alaskan state legislators
    Early defections
    WCHA finances and the men/women split
    Inscrutable math-related posts about BELOW, goal margin, correlation, alternative hypothesis testing, and the like
    Should-have-won conversations
    Banjos
    Beer sales
    New campus rinks
    Old rivalries
    How much Bemidji sucks

GFM
    Butch's injury is still on the archive feed. That's not appropriate.

Ferris can win their next game if the officiating is lax.

I don't care about the rest.

I wish Ferris good luck in the tournament. They are a pain in the butt!

Comment

Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

From all WCHA fans, what's the scouting report on FSU?
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Okay, so let's talk 24-game schedules. 2017-18 is the perfect time to discuss them, as the four-year cycle is complete after this season.

Let's work with these parameters:
        1. 10-team league.
        2. Rivalry games are 4 games HTH.

You can set it up like this:

Four rivalry games (two home, two away) with the current rivalry pairings (UAH-BG, UAA-UAF, MSU-BSU, FSU-LSSU, MTU-NMU)
        20 other games against the other eight teams

I'm trying to come up with a way to do this that keeps you from having to go to Alaska twice in a season. Doing a true minimax on the problem leads to an unbalanced rotation, and I don't think that anyone wants that. I'll keep plugging away at this.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Okay, so let's talk 24-game schedules. 2017-18 is the perfect time to discuss them, as the four-year cycle is complete after this season.

1. 10-team league.

Four rivalry games (two home, two away) with the current rivalry pairings (UAH-BG, UAA-UAF, MSU-BSU, FSU-LSSU, MTU-NMU)

I'm trying to come up with a way to do this that keeps you from having to go to Alaska twice in a season. Doing a true minimax on the problem leads to an unbalanced rotation, and I don't think that anyone wants that. I'll keep plugging away at this.

GFM
          The problem with a 24 game schedule is that many teams are having a hard enough time getting home games outside of conference play as it is.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

1. 10-team league.

GFM
            No love for my 20 game conference, 8 game forced non-conference but counts in the standings, and 6 traditional non-conference/no points schedule?

You're going to get an unbalanced rotation. I think the last true balanced schedule for all the western schools may have been the CCHA's 11 game rotation from 1997 to 1999. That forced schools to play three games a year against everyone, they also played 30 conference games each season. The last time the WCHA was "balanced" was most likely 1993 just before the addition of Alaska Anchorage, when they still played 32 conference games (each team four games against everyone else).
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              They will likely commit some stupid penalties which will likely be their downfall against a team like scsu. They are tough if you get down to them though. It sounds weird to say, but they play an aggressive trap when they get up. They will send a guy to forecheck aggresively, but the rest of the team will stay very disciplined in the neutral zone.

The real question is how lax will the refs be? If they allow them to clutch and grab, they are a tough out. If they call it tight, scsu should roll.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                No love for my 20 game conference, 8 game forced non-conference but counts in the standings, and 6 traditional non-conference/no points schedule?
                This is just another way to do it!

Yes, it's going to be unbalanced. I got an OK start on it in the middle of the night ... we'll see what I can get done later today.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  Ferris uses the glass more than almost any other team in hockey. They will send send a forward flying up the ice as soon as they gain possession in their own zone, and try to chip off the window to hit him at full speed through the neutral zone. It works about 10% of the time, but they try it about 20 times a game. They will compact their coverage in their own zone and allow a lot of shots from the point at even strength, taking away most of the open ice for the forwards. When they kill penalties, they are very aggressive on forcing the puck. Very much "bottom-up" on offensive zone play - they like to get the puck moving back and forth between below the goal line and the point.

And very much agreed on the officiating. I would tend to think that eastern referees are going to be much less forgiving of their style, so they will be on the kill quite a bit.

Mayhew and Mackin are both very good offensive players.

Comment

This is just another way to do it!

Yes, it's going to be unbalanced. I got an OK start on it in the middle of the night ... we'll see what I can get done later today.

GFM
                    I may try taking a stab at it too. The Alaska's already eat up four games against themselves, so we're looking at filling 10 more home games for each Alaska school under your proposal. Or just eight home games against WCHA schools and another four home games NCHC/B1G under mine.

Mine fits the current WCHA, yours is built for ASU and (Insert Pac10 Team).

Yours would be much easier to implement (one conference change versus getting three into lock step).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You're going to get an unbalanced rotation. I think the last true balanced schedule for all the western schools may have been the CCHA's 11 game rotation from 1997 to 1999. That forced schools to play three games a year against everyone, they also played 30 conference games each season. The last time the WCHA was "balanced" was most likely 1993 just before the addition of Alaska Anchorage, when they still played 32 conference games (each team four games against everyone else).
                      How do you get 8 forced non conference games where you are guaranteed 4 home and 4 away? The Big Ten certainly wouldn't cooperate and the NCHC schools like North Dakota won't, Denver and CC would just be more flights, UMD & St Cloud help out a little, but outside Bemidji & Mankato, they generally have maybe one series left for WCHA teams and neither of them is likely to schedule Ferris, Bowling Green or Huntsville while LSSU Is only feasible for UMD among NCHC teams.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I may try taking a stab at it too. The Alaska's already eat up four games against themselves, so we're looking at filling 10 more home games for each Alaska school under your proposal. Or just eight home games against WCHA schools and another four home games NCHC/B1G under mine.

Mine fits the current WCHA, yours is built for ASU and (Insert Pac10 Team).

Yours would be much easier to implement (one conference change versus getting three into lock step).
                        Actually, I'm doing this against a ten-team league with no additions or subtractions. I'm also considering how to do an interlock.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          How do you get 8 forced non conference games where you are guaranteed 4 home and 4 away?
                          With promises of burlap sacks with dollar signs on them.

Same promises Denver, NoDak, and Miami used to woo UNO, UMD, and CC to form the NCHC.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

With promises of burlap sacks with dollar signs on them.

Same promises Denver, NoDak, and Miami used to woo UNO, UMD, and CC to form the NCHC.
                            Ah yes. Promise North Dakota enough money to go to Huntsville instead of playing at home Have NMU or LSSU add a flight to Denver or CC? You do realize that you'd have to give North Dakota about $500,000 plus expenses to give up a weekend at the Ralph.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 03-22-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

How much Bemidji sucks
                              GFM
                              Tech fans still have a bit of a bro-mance with BSU... at least until next season winds up.

I don't see any reason why the WCHA and the AK schools can't come up with a plan to help everyone cut costs. I don't see any reason why all the teams that have to do the AK double can't get those games on back to back weeks. Better for the visiting team and I can't see why it wouldn't be better for the AK schools because now they would share the cost of one trip for the visitor rather than each footing their own bill for separate trips. In the same manner, lower 48 teams need to work together to allow the AK schools to do short back to back weekend road games (MTU-NMU, LSSU-FSU, MSU-BSU) to cut down on their travel time/cost as well.

Everyone needs to be willing to give a little to help each other for the betterment of the conference.

Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                              X