X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Pushing To Team With Big Ten, NCHC For Conference Tournaments

[QUOTE=Iwearpurple;6302564]
    Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    So you'd rather forgo teams like Tech and Minnesota State making the NCAA tournament than have a power conference? If North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth were still in the WCHA, and Miami still in the CCHA, would Minnesota State or Michigan Tech have made the NCAA tournament last year? No, they wouldn't have.

Uh. The number 1 team in the pairwise last year would not have made the tournament?????
    My point is they would not have been No. 1 in the PairWise if they'd been playing in a league with North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth. So yes, they may not even have made the tournament.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

[QUOTE=Arafel;6302758]
      Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
      My point is they would not have been No. 1 in the PairWise if they'd been playing in a league with North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth. So yes, they may not even have made the tournament.
      Actually MSU would have been a run away #1 overall seed with the additional QWB added in for beating those teams you listed. Also SCSU would have been out as a couple more losses would have put them below 0.500 last season and blocked them from the tourney. SCSU last season is still a great example for how broken the PWR system is when used on it's own for picking tourney teams. One game over 0.500 and you're a tourney team? Please...
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post

It seems as though that no one wants to admit that things aren't all that rosyexcept those from the wcha (although with a bit too much bitterness for my liking). It's ok to admit mistakes and this certainly seems like one. Now it's time to fix what's wrong and, in my opinion, nothing should be off the table.

When all of this stuff started troy jutting, of all people, said something that I haven't forgotten. His comment was, "change isn't necessarily bad. College hockey is as good as its ever been. So, if you're going to change it, you **** well better be sure that it's a change for the better." Can anyone honestly say that this had been a change for the better of colege hockey? I'm not so sure we can. And if it hasn't changed for the better, don't shouldn't the leaders of the conferences and schools put their egos aside to change it for the better?
        I guess my question is how do we know if college hockey has "changed for the better?" Is there some sort of tool we're using to measure that?

I noticed something interesting as I looked at the attendance statistics on USCHO for the 2012-13 season, compared with the current season. Out of 59 teams in Div. I hockey (ignored ASU), 24 teams have had their average attendance increase, while 35 saw it decrease. But what's more interesting is when you break the teams down by conference.

In Hockey East (I've included Conn and Notre Dame in HE), 5 went up in attendance, seven down. In the ECAC it was exactly the opposite, 7 up and 5 down. The AHA saw 5 go up and 6 go down. In the B1G it was 3-3.

In other words, in each conference about half the teams increased and half decreased.

This is where it got interesting.

In the WCHA, three went up (Mankato, Tech and BG) while 7 went down. In the NCHC, only North Dakota increased its attendance, with the other 7 showing declines.

What do I think this shows? Teams in the NCHC and WCHA counted on the attendance boosts brought on by the appearance of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan St. in their arenas. I don't think the creation of the NCHC had anything to do with shifts in attendance or interest at these western schools, either by increasing attendance at the NCHC schools or decreasing it at the WCHA schools.

I think that if we want to help college hockey, two things need to happen. First, each conference has to take a close look at whether a conference tournament makes sense financially, as opposed to playoff games on campus at the higher seeds.

Second, I think it's incumbent upon the "name" schools in college hockey (and I mean all of them) to make a conscious effort to be willing to schedule away non-conference games with many different programs, not just traditional rivals.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

[QUOTE=JohnsonsJerseys;6302781]
          Originally posted by Arafel View Post
          Actually MSU would have been a run away #1 overall seed with the additional QWB added in for beating those teams you listed. Also SCSU would have been out as a couple more losses would have put them below 0.500 last season and blocked them from the tourney. SCSU last season is still a great example for how broken the PWR system is when used on it's own for picking tourney teams. One game over 0.500 and you're a tourney team? Please...
          Ryan J
          And yet, they beat the bums from your school! Imagine that!
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            No chance. Even in the heyday of the WCHA, with UND playing Minnesota and other traditional rivals, we never saw anything approaching those types of numbers from UND fans.

Candidly, we've probably seen about what we'll see out of UND fan support. If they're not going to come and watch a 30 win team, why will more come in other years?

My fear, as others have expressed, is what happens when UND goes through a stretch like we did in the early to mid-90's. Don't kid yourself. We are destined to see that happen again. That happens, and unless something else has changed, the NCHC is going to be in rough financial shape regarding its tournament.
            The NCHC had 11,600 people this Saturday. And somehow you think in its three year history it has already peaked lol. And that's without UND playing a meaningful game in Minneapolis when all the alumni aren't working. All afternoon games for UND so far. You don't believe the Attendance would have increased for that Saturday if UND was in the championship game? Don't kid yourself.

You having to go back 20+ years, when the culture, fan support, and building was all different at the school with the longest running NCAA tournament appearances sort of proves my point, The NCHC Frozen Faceoff will be just fine thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tipsy McStagger;6302783]
              Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Um, I so didn't write that. Please edit it. Wasn't me!
              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSiouxFan View Post
                The NCHC had 11,600 people this Saturday. And somehow you think in its three year history it has already peaked lol. And that's without UND playing a meaningful game in Minneapolis when all the alumni aren't working. All afternoon games for UND so far. You don't believe the Attendance would have increased for that Saturday if UND was in the championship game? Don't kid yourself.
                Not to let facts get in the way of an argument, but UND has actually played two meaningful games "when the alumni aren't working" at the Frozen Faceoff. UND played the night game the first year, against Miami. Furthermore, its hard to argue that the Saturday afternoon game that followed that year wasn't meaningful, since it was necessary for the team to win it (and get luck elsewhere) to even get into the NCAAs. Those two games were the poorest attended of any of UND's since moving to the Target Center.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  So the entire conference is dependant on a single team winning the tournament 2 years in a row? That's not exactly what I'd call a solid business plan.

Did you read what I was applying too? I'll take that as a no. It was about the Frozen Faceoff reaching a ceiling.

The entire conference isn't dependent on "a single team winning the tournament two years in a row." Has never happened. And it still beat the combined attendance of the WCHA and BIG (with a hometown team in the championship game). What kind of business plans does that make for those conferences then?

Comment

Not to let facts get in the way of an argument, but UND has actually played two meaningful games "when the alumni aren't working" at the Frozen Faceoff. UND played the night game the first year, against Miami. Furthermore, its hard to argue that the Saturday afternoon game that followed that year wasn't meaningful, since it was necessary for the team to win it (and get luck elsewhere) to even get into the NCAAs. Those two games were the poorest attended of any of UND's since moving to the Target Center.
                    And after that first year the attendance grew.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Pushing To Team With Big Ten, NCHC For Conference Tournaments

I don't think the B7G would be interested anymore.

Unless they want to stick it to the WCHA, and go toe-to-toe with the NCHC.
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

In the WCHA, three went up (Mankato, Tech and BG) while 7 went down. In the NCHC, only North Dakota increased its attendance, with the other 7 showing declines.

What do I think this shows? Teams in the NCHC and WCHA counted on the attendance boosts brought on by the appearance of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan St. in their arenas. I don't think the creation of the NCHC had anything to do with shifts in attendance or interest at these western schools, either by increasing attendance at the NCHC schools or decreasing it at the WCHA schools.

I think that if we want to help college hockey, two things need to happen. First, each conference has to take a close look at whether a conference tournament makes sense financially, as opposed to playoff games on campus at the higher seeds.

Second, I think it's incumbent upon the "name" schools in college hockey (and I mean all of them) to make a conscious effort to be willing to schedule away non-conference games with many different programs, not just traditional rivals.
                        sort of.
                        even after back-to-back 20-win seasons in the WCHA, BGSU's avg. attendance is up a paltry amount from the darkest days in the CCHA. meh. so yeah, your attendance analysis is cursory at best.
                        the WCHA hasn't done us any favors, at least attendance-wise. in the WCHA era, best attendance at the Madhouse on Mercer has been vs. Miami and OSU. (This year's "home" game vs. Western might have been better, except that it was in Toledo during winter break.) The early Dec. series vs. league-leading Mankato was among the worst attended series of the season.
                        Clearly, what this shows is that fans here care more about seeing old rivals from Ohio and Michigan (whether big name or not-so-big-name) than new opponents from distant lands.
                        oh yeah, BTW...BG's avg. attendance was still better than Miami's this year. Sounds like the Redskinhawks could benefit from playing more in Ohio and Michigan too...
                        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• [QUOTE=Tipsy McStagger;6302783]
                          Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Tipsy... Tipsy... Tipsy...

Deep down you know they didn't beat us. We beat ourselves. You know they were lucky to walk out of there with a win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                            So you'd rather forgo teams like Tech and Minnesota State making the NCAA tournament than have a power conference? If North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth were still in the WCHA, and Miami still in the CCHA, would Minnesota State or Michigan Tech have made the NCAA tournament last year? No, they wouldn't have.

Now those school have an additional recruiting tool: come play for us and have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament on the big stage.
                            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly100 View Post
                              Tipsy... Tipsy... Tipsy...

Deep down you know they didn't beat us. We beat ourselves. You know they were lucky to walk out of there with a win.
                              Let me stop the chain of everyone ****ing up the quotes.

Does saying you beat yourselves make you feel better? If you are going to say St. Cloud was a team that didn't deserve to be in, how could the mighty Michigan Tech lose to them?
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                I think what it shows is that Detroit's claim of being "Hockeytown" is clearly BS, while Minnesota is truly the "State of Hockey".

Thank you, tip your waitress!
                                We have no WCHA teams in the Detroit area, hence the indifference...

Comment

Working...
                                X